West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A while back I found a similar case where the defendant did a similar thing and caused a permanent if small scar to the victim. Went to full trial for AOABH and the defendant got a suspended custodial sentence.

Someone who was there said that's exactly what happened when this first came out, I can't be arsed to find it but it will be on here somewhere.

Didn't someone on here basically say he lobbed the glass at him from the other end of the bar? :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

He's an old fashioned number 9 man!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/11/article-1205816-06072B54000005DC-456_308x263.jpg

Someone who was there said that's exactly what happened when this first came out, I can't be arsed to find it but it will be on here somewhere.

Didn't someone on here basically say he lobbed the glass at him from the other end of the bar? :lol:

that but it was the glassed blokes own fault. cos he hoyed a drink first and that made Carols hand wet, leading to the glass flying from his wet hand....genius tbh.

Even hurling the contents of a glass at someone is nearly always reckless as there's always the chance the glass will slip out of your hand.

Defence must have insisted that the basis of plea was that there was no intent or recklessness, reflected in the relatively mild sentence.

My guess is that it wasn't worth 4 days at Crown Court and they went for a shorter trial.    Is that possible?

No but his drink went all over some lass. The glass was an accident, proven in court apparently.

I thought that the lass was the first to throw a drink?  Also taking the word of somebody who admits to have downed 8 or 9 pints is bizarre.

Even hurling the contents of a glass at someone is nearly always reckless as there's always the chance the glass will slip out of your hand.

Defence must have insisted that the basis of plea was that there was no intent or recklessness, reflected in the relatively mild sentence.

My guess is that it wasn't worth 4 days at Crown Court and they went for a shorter trial.    Is that possible?

I think Carroll pleaded guilty, which would mean a shorter trial (as you wouldn't need cross-examining of witness etc).

Prosecution obviously knew they couldn't prove the intent to throw the glass. I'm guessing crappy CCTV footage after all, the quality in many pubs and clubs is generally terrible. Maybe a witness didn't turn up to compound the problem. Whatever, he's dodged a bullet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the common assault on the girl is also binned.

yep- needs to learn from it tho.

Especially now every dickhead in Newcastle thinks all they have to do is start on him and they might be in for a nice payday.

needs to take himself out of it altogether tbh.

:nods:

If he absolutely has to go out on the piss, he should consider doing so where every other person doesn't know him and his behaviour.

Yeah, he should stick to doing it at the house of someone he knows where there's no chance of any trouble.  Oh no wait.........................................

Guest firetotheworks

I can't imagine why there would be too much trouble if he was out in Newcastle, the majority are very likely to be Newcastle fans first and radgies second.

Prosecution obviously knew they couldn't prove the intent to throw the glass. I'm guessing crappy CCTV footage after all, the quality in many pubs and clubs is generally terrible. Maybe a witness didn't turn up to compound the problem. Whatever, he's dodged a bullet.

The CCTV footage was good & there were plenty of witnesses who gave statements on the night & at later date. That is the reason Cook could not take his loot because the fuzz made it clear to people in this mix they had enough evidence.

As a regular reader of the Chron & Journal I read day in day out s*** sentencing from local courts so this is no surprise & seem harsh tbh. He should not be judged on the job he does or the money he has just that he is prick from Gateshead.

The CCTV footage was good & there were plenty of witnesses who gave statements on the night & at later date. That is the reason Cook could not take his loot because the fuzz made it clear to people in this mix they had enough evidence.

As a regular reader of the Chron & Journal I read day in day out s*** sentencing from local courts so this is no surprise & seem harsh tbh. He should not be judged on the job he does or the money he has just that he is prick from Gateshead.

How do you know all this?

Mick- all that would have mattered this morning was the amount of evidence available to the prosecution. If they were only 50% confident of a conviction for abh, it's the right decision to accept the plea to the lesser offence.

How do you know all this?

I worked in a nightclub for quite a few years, I have many friends who work in nightclubs as managers & doorstaff.

As for the 2nd part I buy the paper versions of both local rags (LeedsDave knows my guilty pleasure is the screws) & I would say from what is known about what happened to Cook it is not as bad http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/02/11/family-s-fury-as-street-attack-thug-walks-free-72703-25813550/