West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've never heard of a club calling or cancelling a press conference because a player has been sold, stupid logic there. Personally I'm not worried yet but you never know I guess. And if I were Ashley I would be telling Liverpool, I want your full 50 million you got from Torres, that'll scare the bastards off. Carroll circa 2011 has been better than Torres circa 2010 and 2011, he's also younger and has a lot more different facets to his game, not saying he's a better player, because clearly Torres has been proven over a longer period of time.

At this stage, it's about ambition.

Do we have the ambition to turn down a sizable wedge for a HOMEGROWN player who crucially DOES NOT WANT TO GO?

Or are we essentially a selling club?

That's a bit harsh. Every player has a price, if we let Carroll go for upwards of £35m, we're not exactly a 'selling club'

There's only one chairman in the league who would not think about doing a deal for that kind of money.

The big differences here are:

1. This is a homegrown prospect.

2. He wants to stay.

You'll find that in virtually every other case - Berbatov, Bent, Ronaldo, etc - where players went for stupid big money, one or both of these was not the case.

It makes the club look fucking stupid if they sell now after saying no chance he is going and that they want to secure not sell best players. Saying that 30-35mil is ridiculous for a injured striker with 6 months worth of good games under his belt. Only if we sold in the summer though as we can do fuck all now if we got the money to spend. Earlier in window we may have had some chance of getting someone in

I've never heard of a club calling or cancelling a press conference because a player has been sold, stupid logic there. Personally I'm not worried yet but you never know I guess. And if I were Ashley I would be telling Liverpool, I want your full 50 million you got from Torres, that'll scare the bastards off. Carroll circa 2011 has been better than Torres circa 2010 and 2011, he's also younger and has a lot more different facets to his game, not saying he's a better player, because clearly Torres has been proven over a longer period of time.

Everyone seems to have overlooked that.

If you were selling him, it'd happen later on tonight, and no need to cancel a press conference, surely? Far more likely he's working on bringing someone in.

I notice, for example, that the Bradley to us deal isn't done yet, which means the Ireland to you one almost certainly isn't.

Guest toonlass

I don't want him to go for two reasons:

1. I bloody love him as a Newcastle player and I'll be gutted if he goes.

2. We won't be able to get a decent replacement in before the window closes.

I hope he is still with us come 11pm

Guest Loven11

@ShaunyCustis: £35m done deal. #EXCLUSIVE. Worth every penny too. ->>> Custis is a Toon man. This is solid info.

I'm gonna say bullshit ( hoping anyway ).

Guest Loven11

FootballAgentPM  Not sure if this is true but I hear Andy Carroll is abroad receiving treatment?This could seriously complicate things if it was to be agreed

He was at our training ground today.

Guest Loven11

BBC Sport's chief football writer Phil McNulty on Twitter: "Scenario unfolding is once Torres signs for Chelsea, Liverpool will close in on Carroll asking price. £35m will be gamble by Liverpool owners."