West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's clear Ashley wanted: the money from the transfer > Andy Carroll.

He just could have offered Andy Carroll an improved contract and he still would have been here.

f***ing sick to death of people saying things like this.

He was earning a very good wage, and would have earned at least that for the next 5 1/2 years, playing for his boyhood club, wearing the 'famous' number 9 shirt that he dreamt about wearing, playing in front of 50,000 adoring fans every home game.

For a geordie lad, that surely has to be worth more than a bigger pay packet somewhere else. He wasn't earning a f***ing pittance here for christ sake.

Whether it was him, his agent or Ashley and Llambias it was all done out of f***ing greed, not for footballing reasons.

:thup:

Agree with you. There no doubt that it was for money reasons he left.

Remember reading in SBR's book that it was standard procedure to "adjust" a players wages if a bid is rejected from another club to compensate for what the player might have earned at the new club - looks like another case of Ashley and co not understanding football!

Having said that if you look at the names that Carroll is alongside in the highest transfers fees list you can empathise with the club a little bit; +£35m is a huge number, if only the equation was as simple as this, i'd rather have £35m invested in the squad with no Carroll than having the current squad with Carroll.

Interesting that is. According to a few on here thats completely ridiculous  :lol:

:thup:

No not a thumb up. I bet Sir Bobby when he said that didn't consider a playing that had just signed a new contract.

Come on, otherwise the whole system would just crash and inflation would be above a realistic level. I mean what if a club had offered £15 million for Andy, and told him he would earn £300k pw? Would we have had to reconsider his newly signed contract?

No, its all just wrong. He left for money, he lied to everyone and that's it. Move forward, he's gone and he won't be back. Saying that this or that would've changed is wrong. The club backed him just like they backed Joey Barton during difficult times. He was given bail on the condition he lived with Kevin Nolan who took him home, Nolan hade to see Carrolls car vandalized in his runway where small children are living.

Nolan, us we all defended the guy and he now leaves. The best Carroll could do was shut his mouth, no one cares. In the end it was up to him, he had a contract and could've stayed whether people 'forced' him out it was obligatory for him to leave. You guys can keep on worshipping, but he betrayed us no matter what and he should never be allowed to return to this club.

Dalglish: "Andy Carroll has a bit of a knock and is probably a few wks away from playing, but the signing wasn't made to cover a few wks"

http://www.bootcampking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/NoShitSherlock.jpg

I suppose it does at least put paid to the conspiracy theory, hinted at by True Faith and others, about Carroll not really being injured and simply being kept fresh for a high value sale on 31st January.

Wait it's not the end of the conspiracy theory yet! Fat Mike had a clause in the deal that prohibited Liverpool from playing Carroll in the next few weeks and where Dalglish had to go on record saying that Carroll is indeed injured so that Ashley would be accused of orchestrating the whole deal including the injury part  :lol:

Of course. How could I fail to see through that  :lol:

You would think some of our fans would know better about putting players on stupid wages after the financial mess it put us in.

And it's not Carroll alone. Other players might feel they deserve better wages after seeing this happening. Why would Barton agree to lower his salary after performing so well when you're raising Carroll's twice in a season? Or José Enrique will want a raise too when extending his contract.

Guest neesy111

Carroll for me, has shown that his main aim is about how much is in his back pocket and not about playing for NUFC which should be number 1 especially for a local lad.  He deserves shooting as well for listening to his agent as well.

Hope we bring him back someday.

Agree

Why? He's run off to join a rival for a massive pay rise.

Indeed. Shay Given jumped ship and I'm pretty sure nobody would want him back here. He also showed a great deal more loyalty than Carroll did. Also Given fucked off when we were in a worse situation than we are now.

Guest neesy111

And it's not Carroll alone. Other players might feel they deserve better wages after seeing this happening. Why would Barton agree to lower his salary after performing so well when you're raising Carroll's twice in a season? Or José Enrique will want a raise too when extending his contract.

Aren't Barca facing a problem with Dani Alves trying to hold the club to ransom ???

Hope we bring him back someday.

Agree

Why? He's run off to join a rival for a massive pay rise.

Rivals who we could be in a position to replace in Europe if he'd not jumped ship for a few dollars more.

Remember reading in SBR's book that it was standard procedure to "adjust" a players wages if a bid is rejected from another club to compensate for what the player might have earned at the new club.

Standard procedure under a regime that had no control over its spending.

As I said before, it's fair enough for Carroll to use this rival offer to attempt to get a pay rise from NUFC (I've done that myself at work). But Ashley is well within his rights to tell him to bugger off.

Sooo both parties were right to act the way they did?!

As far as I'm concerned, the ettquette of wanting to be compensated slightly for potential loss of earnings wasn't exclusive to Newcastle United c/o Shepherd, to suggest otherwise is madness.

Not taking another job isn't 'loss of earnings'. It's just earning less than you might earn elsewhere, your current employer has no obligation to compensate you for that, if they believe your current deal is fair or the most they can afford.

Yes, both parties were 'right' in a way, I just feel let down by Carroll because I believed NUFC meant more than money to him.

Carroll for me, has shown that his main aim is about how much is in his back pocket and not about playing for NUFC which should be number 1 especially for a local lad.  He deserves shooting as well for listening to his agent as well.

I'm under no illusions anymore regarding football. Pretty damn sure our local lads would poof off somewhere else if we couldn't pay them €6m a year like we do.

Remember reading in SBR's book that it was standard procedure to "adjust" a players wages if a bid is rejected from another club to compensate for what the player might have earned at the new club - looks like another case of Ashley and co not understanding football!

Having said that if you look at the names that Carroll is alongside in the highest transfers fees list you can empathise with the club a little bit; +£35m is a huge number, if only the equation was as simple as this, i'd rather have £35m invested in the squad with no Carroll than having the current squad with Carroll.

Interesting that is. According to a few on here thats completely ridiculous  :lol:

Carrol is allowed to ask for more.

MA is allowed to say no.

Two things -  the first thing is that I read it as a case of ettiqutte rather than any written law to adjust the wages, and the second thing is that Carroll is well within his rights to seek a higher wage at another club.

Guest neesy111

Carroll for me, has shown that his main aim is about how much is in his back pocket and not about playing for NUFC which should be number 1 especially for a local lad.  He deserves shooting as well for listening to his agent as well.

I'm no under illusions anymore regarding football. Pretty damn sure our local lads would poof off somewhere else if we couldn't pay them €6m a year like we do.

Agree with you 100% after all of this.  I shall never trust what a player spouts through their gob ever again.

Aren't Barca facing a problem with Dani Alves trying to hold the club to ransom ???

Aye, and I back the board on this, as much as I'd HATE losing Dani. But we can't pay a defender €8m per year. What would Piqué or Puyol think?

I'm no under illusions anymore regarding football. Pretty damn sure our local lads would poof off somewhere else if we couldn't pay them €6m a year like we do.

Agree with you 100% after all of this.  I shall never trust what a player spouts through their gob ever again.

Same, actually I'm quite a lot less interested in football after this.

Guest neesy111

Same, actually I'm quite a lot less interested in football after this.

Same, the fact is football is just a business now to those that play the game.  As a customer I think it's shit the way they've treated us the fans in all of this.  We are just pawn in this saga which Ashley and Carroll are using to try and save face.

Aye, and I back the board on this, as much as I'd HATE losing Dani. But we can't pay a defender €8m per year. What would Piqué or Puyol think?

Bingo.

Tottenham just recently gave Bale a pay increase only 6 months after agreeing a 4 year contract, due to his performances in the champions league. This is without any bids even coming in for him or offers being put on the table.

Yet for Carroll to think we might want to negotiate his contract, following him scoring or assisting in 10 of the 11 games he played since signing it & two bids upwards of 25m coming in + a huge pay increase etc means hes greedy/disloyal etc?

He just could have offered Andy Carroll an improved contract and he still would have been here.

So was Carroll bigger than club then?

And if they had given in to Carroll it is tantamount to giving every player in the squad an invitation to rush in and demand to renegotiate their contract.

Just for the young players that establish themselves as key players for the team and a top player in the division.

Could Ashly have done everything to keep Carrol? Yes. He could have paid him 200k a week, purchased him 15 houses in the bahamas, and a years supply of strippers, but that isnt the point is it?

Its a management nightmare if you give in. Carrol isnt that special that he can demand an increase after a few months. Holy crap that is so presumptous. He had ample time to negotiate a 5 year contract.

It's all about priorities, most Newcastle fans would say Carroll was worth more than 30,000 a week (in a footballing context, yes I know it is astronomical for most people) and most football fans in general would probably think that was quite a low basic wage for an England international with bags of potential.

I'm sure Carroll would rather play for Newcastle than Liverpool and if Liverpool were offering 80,000 would he have accepted 60,000-70,000 at NUFC? Yes he was happy to sign a contract a few months ago but things change. Looks like he was using other club's interest to leverage a new deal.

Would Ben Arfa, Nolan and Barton be knocking on Fat Ash's door demanding to upgrade their own deals? Possibly, we then need to work out who is worth the money and who is not. Those who we deem not worth the added investment can look elsewhere if a club is willing to pay them.

I'll say one thing though, I know Carroll was worth the investment to this club but Fat Ash was not interested and we have now lost a real gem.

Fucking sick to death of people saying things like this like.

He was earning a very good wage, and would have earned at least that for the next 5 1/2 years, playing for his boyhood club, wearing the 'famous' number 9 shirt that he dreamt about wearing, playing in front of 50,000 adoring fans every home game.

For a geordie lad, that surely has to be worth more than a bigger pay packet somewhere else. He wasn't earning a fucking pittance here for christ sake.

Whether it was him, his agent or Ashley and Llambias it was all done out of fucking greed, not for footballing reasons.

If £40k is a very good wage to make him stay then surely £40k more is a very good wage to make him want to leave?!

(Assuming the figures quoted are correct)

To make him stay at his boyhood club, his hometown city, yes.

To make him leave for a club arguably as fucked up as we are, no.

£40k a week he was earning? At the club of his dreams. FORTY THOUSAND POUNDS A WEEK. Short career or not, that's a fucking gigantic sum of money, and surely he was doing his absolute dream job too?

If his motivation to leave us was for more money at Liverpool rather than 10 years wearing the #9 for us, well fuck him.

What if his motivation was to move to a club in a better position to win silverware?!

Guest neesy111

Aye, see he is using the threat of City in the talks as well.  Apparently they are not interested at all in him.

Tottenham just recently gave Bale a pay increase only 6 months after agreeing a 4 year contract, due to his performances in the champions league. This is without any bids even coming in for him or offers being put on the table.

Yet for Carroll to think we might want to negotiate his contract, following him scoring or assisting in 10 of the 11 games he played since signing it & two bids upwards of 25m coming in + a huge pay increase etc means hes greedy/disloyal etc?

They've said they we're going to increase his pay in the summer.

Guest neesy111

Fucking sick to death of people saying things like this like.

For a geordie lad, that surely has to be worth more than a bigger pay packet somewhere else. He wasn't earning a fucking pittance here for christ sake.

Whether it was him, his agent or Ashley and Llambias it was all done out of fucking greed, not for footballing reasons.

If £40k is a very good wage to make him stay then surely £40k more is a very good wage to make him want to leave?!

(Assuming the figures quoted are correct)

To make him stay at his boyhood club, his hometown city, yes.

To make him leave for a club arguably as fucked up as we are, no.

£40k a week he was earning? At the club of his dreams. FORTY THOUSAND POUNDS A WEEK. Short career or not, that's a fucking gigantic sum of money, and surely he was doing his absolute dream job too?

If his motivation to leave us was for more money at Liverpool rather than 10 years wearing the #9 for us, well fuck him.

What if his motivation was to move to a club in a better position to win silverware?!

Then it would be bollocks, liverpool are finished as a top 4 club with City around now.