West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

its only too good to turn down if you prefer money in the bank to quality on the pitch

Precisely. Andy Carroll is probably going to be one of the best strikers in the world.

Let's say we spend £25 million on two strikers (which probably won't happen) who's to say they will be as good as he is/could be?

Who's to say they won't be? :lol: Fact is, we don't know.

Also, to judge it that simplistically is stupid. There's more a football club has to consider than just the first team.

its only too good to turn down if you prefer money in the bank to quality on the pitch

Precisely. Andy Carroll is probably going to be one of the best strikers in the world.

Let's say we spend £25 million on two strikers (which probably won't happen) who's to say they will be as good as he is/could be?

So AC will blatantly be one of the best strikers in the world, but "who's to say" if the replacements will have as much potential.

"Who's to say" that AC will become the world's best striker??

People are so very blinded with AC. He's not proven by any means, he's just as unproven as any potential replacement.

:sadnod:

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if he hadn't scored yesterday.

Guest Heneage

So AC will blatantly be one of the best strikers in the world, but "who's to say" if the replacements will have as much potential.

"Who's to say" that AC will become the world's best striker??

People are so very blinded with AC. He's not proven by any means, he's just as unproven as any potential replacement.

:sadnod:

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if he hadn't scored yesterday.

Wullie in particular was quiet during his no-shows at Sunderland and West Brom.

But that's to ignore that decisions about player sales aren't purely based on the effect on the squad... the club's finances also have to be considered.

But I thought every penny was going to be reinvested into the squad?

Think about the kind of players Newcastle United can attract these days. Then consider the apparent age/wage policy. Are we going to sign players that are as promising as Andy Carroll, this summer?

Waits for 'who knows?' from Ashley sympathisers.

As a football fan there's nothing else I need or want to consider. Us losing good players is a bad thing, couldn't give a fuck what it does for the bank balance.

Nobody answered in the Enrique thread; why don't the clubs with ambition just buy these better, cheaper players?

Before madras pipes up this isn't me saying we should spend more than we can afford to, Carroll and Enrique are/were already here.

Think about the kind of players Newcastle United can attract these days. Then consider the apparent age/wage policy. Are we going to sign players that are as promising as Andy Carroll, this summer?

I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows.

We've made a huge gamble and we won't know whether it's paid off until the Summer. I didn't want to get rid of Andy Carroll, the sadness I felt yesterday will back that fact up.

But I blame him equally for the circumstances in which he left and if the money is invested correctly, we could have a stronger team come next season.

Ashley sympathisers :lol:

What a nonce

I was on the wind up!

Seriously though, give me some names of strikers that you think have the same potential as Andy Carroll, that we can realistically sign this summer?

The same goes for left-back if we sell Enrique.

As a football fan there's nothing else I need or want to consider. Us losing good players is a bad thing, couldn't give a f*** what it does for the bank balance.

Nobody answered in the Enrique thread; why don't the clubs with ambition just buy these better, cheaper players?

Before madras pipes up this isn't me saying we should spend more than we can afford to, Carroll and Enrique are/were already here.

Can't see anyone saying otherwise :dontknow:

As a football fan there's nothing else I need or want to consider. Us losing good players is a bad thing, couldn't give a fuck what it does for the bank balance.

If you don't care about the bank balance at all then it's pretty much impossible to discuss signings.

On your second point, clubs don't just buy the cheaper/better players because it is much harder to find them than spending £35m on Andy Carroll. I know you already know this.

Spending money on obvious players is much easier, if you can afford it. But then we're back to discussing money again, which you think is irrelevant.

Ashley sympathisers :lol:

What a nonce

I was on the wind up!

Seriously though, give me some names of strikers that you think have the same potential as Andy Carroll, that we can realistically sign this summer?

The same goes for left-back if we sell Enrique.

Tiote

Relative peanuts obviously. A new signing of Carroll's calibre, you're looking at 80k a week minimum.

We got Ben Arfa for about 6 million, and on less than £80k a week. The kid has more talent in his little toe man.

I'm obviosly not expecting another Ben Arfa-esque signing any time soon, but it goes to show it's not immpossible, and also what a ridiculous sum of money we got for AC. Invested wisely and it could be worth it 10 times over, he is only 1 player after all.

Relative peanuts obviously. A new signing of Carroll's calibre, you're looking at 80k a week minimum.

We got Ben Arfa for about 6 million, and on less than £80k a week. The kid has more talent in his little toe man.

I'm obviosly not expecting another Ben Arfa-esque signing any time soon, but it goes to show it's not immpossible, and also what a ridiculous sum of money we got for AC. Invested wisely and it could be worth it 10 times over, he is only 1 player after all.

Just how much have you seen of Ben Arfa?

As a football fan there's nothing else I need or want to consider. Us losing good players is a bad thing, couldn't give a f*** what it does for the bank balance.

I think the above post is one of the best in football chat for quite some time. THIS imo, as Dave put it so well, is the crux of the issue. We had/have these players on contracts at the club. We should only sell when we can no longer afford to pay them, or if they are no longer good enough (assuming of course, the ambition, which the club says is there, is actually there). It does hurt massively to see Carroll in a Liverpool shirt, nevermind him scoring 2 belters last night. I was watching the game with about 10 of my mates (all Liverpool supporters), and before the game started all they could talk about was how they hoped Man Utd would thrash Chelsea and knock them out, as they didn't want Torres to enjoy his time at his new club. So much vitriol. By the end of the game all they could talk about was the genius signing of Carroll and what a great player he is etc...

Jammy Twats the lot of them, and they feel the same confusion regarding Torres as we do with regards to Carroll. At least they have a new hero, and we have an ambiguity that will feel like an eternity until the summer comes and we see where we really stand in terms of who actually got the better deal.

Just how much have you seen of Ben Arfa?

Probably about as much as any of us have seen of AC at a truly competative level

I think the above post is one of the best in football chat for quite some time. THIS imo, as Dave put it so well, is the crux of the issue. We had/have these players on contracts at the club. We should only sell when we can no longer afford to pay them, or if they are no longer good enough (assuming of course, the ambition, which the club says is there, is actually there). It does hurt massively to see Carroll in a Liverpool shirt, nevermind him scoring 2 belters last night. I was watching the game with about 10 of my mates (all Liverpool supporters), and before the game started all they could talk about was how they hoped Man Utd would thrash Chelsea and knock them, as they didn't want Torres to enjoy his time at his new club. So much vitriol. By the end of the game all they could talk about was the genius signing of Carroll and what a great player he is etc...

Jammy Twats the lot of them

Genuine question, can you address the issue of finances at all? Or are you really able to just ignore what is happening financially and think purely about what happens on the pitch?

I think the above post is one of the best in football chat for quite some time. THIS imo, as Dave put it so well, is the crux of the issue. We had/have these players on contracts at the club. We should only sell when we can no longer afford to pay them, or if they are no longer good enough (assuming of course, the ambition, which the club says is there, is actually there). It does hurt massively to see Carroll in a Liverpool shirt, nevermind him scoring 2 belters last night. I was watching the game with about 10 of my mates (all Liverpool supporters), and before the game started all they could talk about was how they hoped Man Utd would thrash Chelsea and knock them, as they didn't want Torres to enjoy his time at his new club. So much vitriol. By the end of the game all they could talk about was the genius signing of Carroll and what a great player he is etc...

Genuine question, can you address the issue of finances at all? Or are you really able to just ignore what is happening financially and think purely about what happens on the pitch?

How do you mean can I address them? As in am I taking finances into account? If the situation was so dire, and the 35m was needed to keep us from bankruptcy, then I would understand it. And if this were the case, I would expect the club to come out and express it. What we do have is uncertainty, even on Pardew's part, where even he is not sure whether this money will be spent "to a satisfactory level" that would make swallowing the pill of AC's sale easier, or even better, to move the club forward.

I think the above post is one of the best in football chat for quite some time. THIS imo, as Dave put it so well, is the crux of the issue. We had/have these players on contracts at the club. We should only sell when we can no longer afford to pay them, or if they are no longer good enough (assuming of course, the ambition, which the club says is there, is actually there). It does hurt massively to see Carroll in a Liverpool shirt, nevermind him scoring 2 belters last night. I was watching the game with about 10 of my mates (all Liverpool supporters), and before the game started all they could talk about was how they hoped Man Utd would thrash Chelsea and knock them out, as they didn't want Torres to enjoy his time at his new club. So much vitriol. By the end of the game all they could talk about was the genius signing of Carroll and what a great player he is etc...

Jammy Twats the lot of them, and they feel the same confusion regarding Torres as we do with regards to Carroll. At least they have a new hero, and we have an ambiguity that will feel like an eternity until the summer comes and we see where we really stand in terms of who actually got the better deal.

You need new mates

How do you mean can I address them? As in am I taking finances into account? If the situation was so dire, and the 35m was needed to keep us from bankruptcy, then I would understand it. And if this were the case, I would expect the club to come out and express it. What we do have is uncertainty, even on Pardew's part, where even he is not sure whether this money will be spent "to a satisfactory level" that would make swallowing the pill of AC's sale easier, or even better, to move the club forward.

What I mean is that you singled out Dave's post, where he said he didn't care about the bank balance, as being one of the best you'd seen for ages. I took from that that you had a similar view (i.e. only caring about the team and not the club's financial health).