Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

The sight of Given in another team's shirt has got to be one of the biggest lows since I've been following NUFC. Up there with the departures of KKx2 and Robson.

Did you miss the close finishes in the Premiership and the 2 lost cup finals, 3 lost cup semi-finals, numerous quarter-finals and losing to the hicks a few times.

Players come and go. He's gone. Thanks for 11 years and now you're a Citeh player and i hope you lose all your games (apart from when i suits us that you win).

Guest The Libertine

he said "my guess is he went for....err...lots" or something similar. i think he was praising our negotiation skills as opposed to making a joke about city being rich imo.

The sight of Given in another team's shirt has got to be one of the biggest lows since I've been following NUFC. Up there with the departures of KKx2 and Robson.

Did you miss the close finishes in the Premiership and the 2 lost cup finals, 3 lost cup semi-finals, numerous quarter-finals and losing to the hicks a few times.

Players come and go. He's gone. Thanks for 11 years and now you're a Citeh player and i hope you lose all your games (apart from when i suits us that you win).

Come on!  I don't understand this, the club has put Given through alot of shit this year.  No stability at all, no prospects more importantly no answers long term.  The off field drama, protests, performances, ownership, manager and attitudes around the clubs - can hardly blame him.

Guest toonlass

Come on!  I don't understand this, the club has put Given through alot of shit this year.   No stability at all, no prospects more importantly no answers long term.  The off field drama, protests, performances, ownership, manager and attitudes around the clubs - can hardly blame him.

Poor little lamb, he hasn't been picking up 3 times more a week than we make in a year like has he. It must have been so hard for him!

Come on!  I don't understand this, the club has put Given through alot of s*** this year.   No stability at all, no prospects more importantly no answers long term.  The off field drama, protests, performances, ownership, manager and attitudes around the clubs - can hardly blame him.

Poor little lamb, he hasn't been picking up 3 times more a week than we make in a year like has he. It must have been so hard for him!

What does that have to do with staying here, that's valid for every player out there.

Come on!  I don't understand this, the club has put Given through alot of shit this year.  No stability at all, no prospects more importantly no answers long term.  The off field drama, protests, performances, ownership, manager and attitudes around the clubs - can hardly blame him.

Aye the poor bastard.

Fancy having to put up with all of that whilst still taking about £50,000 a week from the club.

I don't know how he managed, I really don't. :hmm:

Come on!  I don't understand this, the club has put Given through alot of s*** this year.  No stability at all, no prospects more importantly no answers long term.  The off field drama, protests, performances, ownership, manager and attitudes around the clubs - can hardly blame him.

Aye the poor b******.

Fancy having to put up with all of that whilst still taking about £50,000 a week from the club.

I don't know how he managed, I really don't. :hmm:

Isee you both ignore the other points though

Come on!  I don't understand this, the club has put Given through alot of s*** this year.  No stability at all, no prospects more importantly no answers long term.  The off field drama, protests, performances, ownership, manager and attitudes around the clubs - can hardly blame him.

The club has put me, him and everyone else through a load of shit this year. If i sodded of to support someone else for an easier life i'd fully expect, and deserve abuse. Regardless of the fact that for 26 years i'd been loyal.

Come on!  I don't understand this, the club has put Given through alot of s*** this year.   No stability at all, no prospects more importantly no answers long term.  The off field drama, protests, performances, ownership, manager and attitudes around the clubs - can hardly blame him.

What does that have to do with staying here, that's valid for every player out there.

It matters because he signed a fucking contract with the club in 2006 which increased his pay to do a fucking job.

He then tells his agent to slag the club off, link him with other clubs and put him in the shop window without him having to forego his 'loyalty' bonus. He's a cunt.

Guest toonlass

Do you not think the fans deserve more though. We deserve players committed to the cause. We are actually paying a significant preportion of our money to be fucked around. And yet we don't walk out mid-way through the season and just go and support Chelski or Citeh. They actually get paid a hell of a lot of money to play for OUR club, and he couldn't even be arsed to stay and fight for us. I am hacked off with him, for leaving us when we needed him most.

If you're miserable at your job pay really, really starts to not matter.  I know that's an insane amount he was/is earning but there's no price tag for emotional contentment.

But then again if your "emotional contentment" is revolved around ambition and winning trophies then he's 5 years too late with all this - in my eyes he's decided to go before the ships sunkbecasue he doesnt want to be tarnished. Ambition isnt something which you develop a craving for, your either are or arent.

We were there though, those defeats were disappointing, but you always felt that we'd be back the next season.

I'd been off Given for a couple of years, but he was nearing his world class best once more, and there is no coming back from this one.

Doom approaches.

Guest firetotheworks

Im a bit gutted about Given going but its nowhere near how gutted I was when Ferdinand and Ginola were sold.

If you're miserable at your job pay really, really starts to not matter.  I know that's an insane amount he was/is earning but there's no price tag for emotional contentment.

But then again if your "emotional contentment" is revolved around ambition and winning trophies then he's 5 years too late with all this - in my eyes he's decided to go before the ships sunkbecasue he doesnt want to be tarnished. Ambition isnt something which you develop a craving for, your either are or arent.

I don't think his revolves around that at all though.  I think Shay is a man very much driven by routine and comfort, safety in the familiar.  He'd reached some kind of internal breaking point after that Liverpool game.  And I think it was a very, very tough decision for him. 

It's all gone ugly due to being aired in public though.  I don't wish him any specific ill will, but no good fortune either.

This could turn out to be a (accidental) masterstroke if Krul lives up to his potential.

Not something that's gonna happen with Kinnear.

Ashley will need to tell :kinnear: that he's not getting a new goalkeeper, and Harper would have to crock himself before Krul jumps off to PSV or similar.

This could turn out to be a (accidental) masterstroke if Krul lives up to his potential.

He's the one who's been getting the most loan experience - id love for him to step up, would be absolute class if we went an replaced one keeper with potentially a better one. (Based on nothing)

Not something that's gonna happen with Kinnear.

Ashley will need to tell :kinnear: that he's not getting a new goalkeeper, and Harper would have to crock himself before Krul jumps off to PSV or similar.

I thought Krul wanted to go unless Harper left (ie Krul jumping up to 2nd choice)?

Ok he may have competition in Forster now but I am sure he will believe his chance of some first team games have increased.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

He's the one who's been getting the most loan experience - id love for him to step up, would be absolute class if we went an replaced one keeper with potentially a better one. (Based on nothing)

100% clean sheet record for the first team

Guest The Libertine

“I’m delighted with the way things are going. The position we’re in isn’t ideal, but hopefully we’ve turned a bit of a corner and we’re going in the right direction.”

thats from 26th december. a few days later his solicitor says he wants out. nice.