Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

NE5's basic point is fair enough, that to succeed in the premiership you do have to spend money.

It's a lot more complicated than that though, you can easily spend without achieving lasting success (see our recent history) and put the club in jeopardy in the process. If it's not feasible to spend big, then it's not feasible.

The accounts (and what most people suspected anyway) show that we are in a position where we need to be realistic about our standing and build for long-term success. That will obviously come with a restricted budget for first team spending.

NE5's basic point is fair enough, that to succeed in the premiership you do have to spend money.

But we did that, it's been going awry since about 2004, success has eluded us, and now there's no money left to spend, rendering NE5's basic point pointless.

To do well you need firstly a good manager and secondly money to spend. At the minute we have neither. This was the reason it didn't work in the past. When it did work we had good managers when it didn't we had the likes of Souness.

I guess this is where an interesting thread turns to horseshit.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

I've no intention of trying to put people right in this thread Dave.

Suffice to say, we will see how long it drags on, or how many people look back on Ashleys lack of ambition and fail to still grasp the basic point that if you want to succeed you have to spend big bucks. Ashleys current direction will never achieve anything near the league positions we have seen since 1992, so if thats what people want its up to them. Just like when they all said they wanted rid of Shepherd [for anybody] they won't be so keen on the reality when it happens though. So much so, that those european qualifications will be nothing other than a fond memory.

now that you've looked at the finances a bit closer do you think we were nearing a point at which  we probably wouldn't have got anyone to loan us anymore money to carry on the spending ?

I've only looked at the last page of this thread, as I have said earlier, I know what it will be about. Lots of hysterical people forecastig doomsday and believing the desperate stance of a desperate board/owner trying to deflect criticism of their lack of ambition and the fact that they are letting the transfer window go by with us in real danger of going back to where the Halls and Shepherd found us.

UV has pointed out the difference between choosing ambition and not choosing ambition. Its extremely sad that after everything that has happened in the last 18 months people still don't get the difference.

Carry on supporting a club not even aiming to go anywhere, despite having one of the biggest fanbases in the country. Please tell us where we will get the finance to move forward again when we are relegated and gates and revenue fall by half at least. Do it in the other thread though, because I'm not looking at this again. I've made my point to some of those who say they are accountants -and its obvious who is and who are just wannabees - that a top accountant such as Bob Murray, a millionaire 20 years ago, attempted to run his football club on solid financial lines and was left miles behind by us who were run by such a shite board in comparison .

Suffice to say, we will see how long it drags on, or how many people look back on Ashleys lack of ambition and fail to still grasp the basic point that if you want to succeed you have to spend big bucks. Ashleys current direction will never achieve anything near the league positions we have seen since 1992, so if thats what people want its up to them. Just like when they all said they wanted rid of Shepherd [for anybody] they won't be so keen on the reality when it happens though. So much so, that those european qualifications will be nothing other than a fond memory.

now that you've looked at the finances a bit closer do you think we were nearing a point at which  we probably wouldn't have got anyone to loan us anymore money to carry on the spending ?

I've only looked at the last page of this thread, as I have said earlier, I know what it will be about. Lots of hysterical people forecastig doomsday and believing the desperate stance of a desperate board/owner trying to deflect criticism of their lack of ambition and the fact that they are letting the transfer window go by with us in real danger of going back to where the Halls and Shepherd found us.

UV has pointed out the difference between choosing ambition and not choosing ambition. Its extremely sad that after everything that has happened in the last 18 months people still don't get the difference.

Carry on supporting a club not even aiming to go anywhere, despite having one of the biggest fanbases in the country. Please tell us where we will get the finance to move forward again when we are relegated and gates and revenue fall by half at least.

I don't give a shit. I care about the club, and will support the club no matter where it is next year and the year after, and the year after that.

It's a lot more complicated than that though, you can easily spend without achieving lasting success (see our recent history) and put the club in jeopardy in the process. If it's not feasible to spend big, then it's not feasible.

The accounts (and what most people suspected anyway) show that we are in a position where we need to be realistic about our standing and build for long-term success. That will obviously come with a restricted budget for first team spending.

nowt basic about it, its an absolute necessity.

It IS a necessity, but so are other factors which you are refusing to admit FS did not display, or possess, which is why he made a complete fucking mess of it.

Carry on supporting a club not even aiming to go anywhere, despite having one of the biggest fanbases in the country. Please tell us where we will get the finance to move forward again when we are relegated and gates and revenue fall by half at least.

I don't give a shit. I care about the club, and will support the club no matter where it is next year and the year after, and the year after that.

Well, so will I. Just like the last time. But 30,000 others won't, just like last time. Some, I suspect, post on this board and can't admit that they weren't interested in the club before and were in fact attracted back to the club by owners that they now slate.

Such is life.

you can answer (in the other thread preferably) what we will do to get finance when revenue dives massively ? Because I'm sure most of the others will avoid this and insist that soopa mike is still on the right road or something.

it's one thing to shout "spend,spend,spend"..it's another to ask where the money is coming from ?

if you look elsewhere i've said ashley needs to spend if necessary to get us out of this,probably his own cash. i've also said that i don't think fred could have carried on spending the way he was and wouldn't have spent his own cash.

now again can you tell me if you think fred should've (maybe "could've" would make a more realistic question ?) kept going deeper into debt to the banks etc to chase a dream paying no heed to what would happen should he fail ?

It IS a necessity, but so are other factors which you are refusing to admit FS did not display, or possess, which is why he made a complete fucking mess of it.

like appointing Bobby Robson and speculating, rather than take soopa mikes prudency route ?

I don't give a s***. I care about the club, and will support the club no matter where it is next year and the year after, and the year after that.

Well, so will I. Just like the last time. But 30,000 others won't, just like last time. Some, I suspect, post on this board and can't admit that they weren't interested in the club before and were in fact attracted back to the club by owners that they now slate.

Such is life.

You are nobody to criticize the reasons anyone on earth supports NUFC. Whether they were old enough to follow the club pre 92, or younger, or foreign, or "gloryhunter SKY/KK era fans", they are still supporters, and have a right to carry on or stop going.

I think the point NE5 is trying to make was the club was on a sound foot. Yes we had a massive amount of debt but it was backed by the number of fans we got in the stadium, was a short term loan and was easily paid off each season including interest. We then used our finance brought into the club each season to buy new players. Often we went a season without spending big and got rid of dead wood, this helped lower the wage bill each season but overall meant we were able to compete each season really and try and get into a European spot whilst also getting in big players. The one point we were missing was a good manager to take over that role. If we got that manager in we may have pushed on further like we did under KK and Bobby Robson. We in turn would have made more money and we would have had no problems.

I don't give a s***. I care about the club, and will support the club no matter where it is next year and the year after, and the year after that.

Such is life.

you can answer (in the other thread preferably) what we will do to get finance when revenue dives massively ? Because I'm sure most of the others will avoid this and insist that soopa mike is still on the right road or something.

You said previously that the Owner of NUFC shouldn't have to put their hand into their own pocket to support the club, when did you change your mind?

It IS a necessity, but so are other factors which you are refusing to admit FS did not display, or possess, which is why he made a complete f***ing mess of it.

like appointing Bobby Robson and speculating, rather than take soopa mikes prudency route ?

Bobby Robson was not Shepherd's genius idea

It IS a necessity, but so are other factors which you are refusing to admit FS did not display, or possess, which is why he made a complete f***ing mess of it.

I may be wrong but wasn't he the one that wanted Bobby Robson to come, others weren't so sure due to his age ?

I think the point NE5 is trying to make was the club was on a sound foot. Yes we had a massive amount of debt but it was backed by the number of fans we got in the stadium, was a short term loan and was easily paid off each season including interest. We then used our finance brought into the club each season to buy new players. Often we went a season without spending big and got rid of dead wood, this helped lower the wage bill each season but overall meant we were able to compete each season really and try and get into a European spot whilst also getting in big players. The one point we were missing was a good manager to take over that role. If we got that manager in we may have pushed on further like we did under KK and Bobby Robson. We in turn would have made more money and we would have had no problems.

TT no one on here is saying we shouldn't spend money! However, giving an abomination of a manager that was Souness more money to spend than Bobby Robson was an act so thick and stupid that it deserved lynching the cunt (Shepherd)

I may be wrong but wasn't he the one that wanted Bobby Robson to come, others weren't so sure due to his age ?

no. i think you'll find fred was just a minor shareholder who done the bidding for more major shareholders as in the appointments (and sackings)of souness and roeder.

Yeah, very shrewd move it was. So Freddy Shepherd milked us in dividends every year for choosing to appoint Sir Bobby Robson? My deaf cat would have made that appointment with its eyes closed!

TT no one on here is saying we shouldn't spend money! However, giving an abomination of a manager that was Souness more money to spend than Bobby Robson was an act so thick and stupid that it deserved lynching the c*** (Shepherd)

I know that but this was down to clearing up the mess of past managers. We always do it. We have seasons of big spend and then next to nothing. Our problem with FFS was not down to the money he gave managers it was down to sacking managers so quickly which could also relate to hiring the wrong managers. Dalglish had the same problem. He had to do all the tidying of the club left over from KK as the club needed to reduce wages and get rid of squad members before cash could be made available again.

Yeah, very shrewd move it was. So Freddy Shepherd milked us in dividends every year for choosing to appoint Sir Bobby Robson? My deaf cat would have made that appointment with its eyes closed!

I don't agree with the dividends but at the end of the day it's no different from any other business.

I may be wrong but didn't Bobby or a friend put his name forwards in the press rather than us go after him?  I seem to remember us getting nowhere in our search for a manager then I seem to remember something being said on TV.

TT no one on here is saying we shouldn't spend money! However, giving an abomination of a manager that was Souness more money to spend than Bobby Robson was an act so thick and stupid that it deserved lynching the c*** (Shepherd)

I know that but this was down to clearing up the mess of past managers. We always do it. We have seasons of big spend and then next to nothing. Our problem with FFS was not down to the money he gave managers it was down to sacking managers so quickly which could also relate to hiring the wrong managers. Dalglish had the same problem. He had to do all the tidying of the club left over from KK as the club needed to reduce wages and get rid of squad members before cash could be made available again.

heretic.......that never ever happened under hall/shepherd.

NE5 will have you for that.

heretic.......that never ever happened under hall/shepherd.

NE5 will have you for that.

Yeah but the difference was it was a clear out of players whilst allowing the manager full reign in signing new players just the cost was limited for one season. We seemed to do it a fair bit. After KK, after Souness, even after Bobby to some extent.