Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

Guest fading star

I wonder how well the situation was explained to Keegan before he walked?  I look forward to seeing his compensation payment on next years accounts.

Me too. I bet KK couldn’t wait to come back when Ashley told him the summer transfer budget was £5000.

I wonder how well the situation was explained to Keegan before he walked?  I look forward to seeing his compensation payment on next years accounts.

I wonder how well the situation was explained to Keegan before he was offered the job. And if he's entitled to compensation then he should get it.

If he's entitled to it then I couldn't agree more Dave.  Regardless, if the true financial situation was explained to him before he walked, then I'd like to think he would have been a bit more understanding for the good of the club.

Guest fading star

What really does worry me btw is next season (that's IF we stay up this). We have Owen, Viduka, Harper, Butt, Cacapa, Edgar and a shitload of youngsters leaving for nothing as things stand. No money to replace them without selling others.

Given that the only real way to make decent money is to reach the upper echelons of the Premier League, does this mean we are now destined to just sit and try keep our head above water by bringing in youngsters and selling them when they show promise to pay for the next batch?

Until such time as he can sell the club at a profit, yes.

I wonder how well the situation was explained to Keegan before he was offered the job. And if he's entitled to compensation then he should get it.

if he's entitled to it he will get it

Guest aoliversaknob

What really does worry me btw is next season (that's IF we stay up this). We have Owen, Viduka, Harper, Butt, Cacapa, Edgar and a shitload of youngsters leaving for nothing as things stand. No money to replace them without selling others.

All we need is £5K & were sorted.

Your worry too much.

Spence dont even laugh at such things cos 5k total layout may well be on the cards againg for this window as well :doh:

If he's entitled to it then I couldn't agree more Dave.  Regardless, if the true financial situation was explained to him before he walked, then I'd like to think he would have been a bit more understanding for the good of the club.

I would be very disappointed in him if he left purely because there were no transfer funds. I cant believe for the life of me that he would just for that reason but it would be disappointing if true.

Given that the only real way to make decent money is to reach the upper echelons of the Premier League, does this mean we are now destined to just sit and try keep our head above water by bringing in youngsters and selling them when they show promise to pay for the next batch?

Once Owen, Viduka and their like are off the wagebill the club will start generating a profit allowing us to consolidate slowly. Theoretically, after a few years of that we can just pick a moment to take a bit of financial risk to pull us up the table. (The "Villa model" so to speak)

Until we get all the wasters off the wagebill though, it does indeed look like we're just going to have to struggle to keep our head above the water and stay in the Premiership.

One thing's for sure: the age of "ambitious/insane" Shepherd-level spending is over. Forever.

All of the players brought in will have to be on "sensible" wages therefore won't be top notch. This again puts pressure on the scouting/recruitment to find Bassongs more often than not.

Again I'd advocate a mixed approach - if we stay up we shouldn't give up the idea of having a couple/a few well paid players.

All of the players brought in will have to be on "sensible" wages therefore won't be top notch. This again puts pressure on the scouting/recruitment to find Bassongs more often than not.

Again I'd advocate a mixed approach - if we stay up we shouldn't give up the idea of having a couple/a few well paid players.

It has to be the way to go. As someone said earlier, Arsenal did fantastically well when having a good blend of unearthed/unknown developed talent and superstars like Henry. Only now have they fallen below their high standards by relying too heavilly on youth and inexperience.

Once Owen, Viduka and their like are off the wagebill the club will start generating a profit allowing us to consolidate slowly. Theoretically, after a few years of that we can just pick a moment to take a bit of financial risk to pull us up the table. (The "Villa model" so to speak)

Until we get all the wasters off the wagebill though, it does indeed look like we're just going to have to struggle to keep our head above the water and stay in the Premiership.

One thing's for sure: the age of "ambitious/insane" Shepherd-level spending is over. Forever.

I agree, but there needs to be a right quota of highly paid players and low-risk/high-reward youngsters. Right now, we've got nearly half our first team squad on unsustainable wages and not living up to their contract. That has to be sorted out, first and foremost. If we do that, reduce the wage bill by £15-20m/year, then that's £15-20m per year that can be spent on new players and their wages. We're paying top 4 money and not getting top 4 performances. Look at Villa, they've got a great team, loads of youngsters and they're spending money, but I bet they're not paying anyone 80k+/week. Our finances weren't planned well. We banked on staying in the CL or Europe in the least and failure to do that in the past few seasons has cost us a few seasons, which will pretty much be rebuilding.

And with regards to what johnny said earlier about Ashley not putting in any of his money: that's not true. He's essentially 'loaned' us money from the holding company, but since that holding company is his, he's given us the money. And it's also technically not a loan because he's not taking interest (according to quayside). So it's just a straight £100m from Ashley's pocket to the club.

The silver lining is that there does seem to be a plan but it's long-term and most fans will have to tolerate a few years of consolidation before we can make another push up the table. We could get lucky if we spot a few more Bassongs which would speed up the process but if we don't, then the finances have to be sorted before we can spend again.

Anyone know someone with a warehouse to rent out? This £343,458 is burning a hole in my pocket.

BUT YOU GET ALL THIS IN THE PRICE:

*  Ambient Environment

* Automated Process

* Composite System

* Dedicated and Shared-user Facilities

* Regional & National Service

* Controlled Temperature

* Computer controlled despatch and handling system enabling full 'track and trace' of palletised stock.

* Efficient and professional distribution services available 24 hours

* Fully racked narrow aisle warehousing

* Heated Storage Available

* Comprehensive mechanical handling equipment including counter balance, reach and narrow aisle for lift trucks.

* Container stuffing / destuffing, breakbulk, order pricing and assembly, packing, labelling and sampling.

Fully computer-controlled systems

Anyone know someone with a warehouse to rent out? This £343,458 is burning a hole in my pocket.

Is that the one that was sold for £175,000 by one brother to the other?

Think it was sold outright by the club to Bruce Shepherd for the £175,000 you refer to and then the club rented it back for the £343,458  (as per indi) per annum  :shifty:

We spent £5,000 pounds this summer and still improved the first team, why cant we carry on doing the same?

Thats all any fan should ask as a minimum.

I don't want to derail this thread but if you're suggesting the squad we have now is good enough, both in terms of numbers and quality, I completely disagree. Our league position reflects that.

We spent naff all and it shows. That being a necessity doesn't make it any less a fact.

Squads fine. Problem is bad decisions at the highest level have left us with Kinnear and not KK, which having seen the finances, must be considered the main beef with Ashley.

One left back. One right back. Butt and Ameobi starting players both now and in the future. Fine my fucking arse.

We're digressing though.

So you're minimum requirement of the club was to have a complete squad by the end of he summer?

Earlier in the season we were saying this squad was capable of a top8 fininsh. Whats changed?

All i care about is that the squad is improved year on year - and it is, couple that with the financial mess which he appeas to be sorting out and that makes me a reasonable satisfied fan.

Ashley's £100 million unsecured loan is repayable at LIBOR + 0.5% which he hasn't taken as of 30th June 2008.

And if he still hasn't taken it, I think it says a lot about Mike Ashley.  People are saying he doesn't care about the club and he was just in it for the money.  But if he isn't taking the interest he clearly is making an effort to help the club.  His failing is that he has made terrible decisions about who to trust, IMO.

I think the point is though that that cost was the same before Ashley arrived and would be the same if he'd sold up. So if that's the same regardless of the owner, is it not fair to look beyond it?

I'm just wondering why it matters at all (to the Ashley debate) if it was always going to be that cost.

Not 100% sure what you mean, but it matters because these are the club's accounts and they show that it's making a huge fuck-off loss which is being paid for out of Ashley's pocket. That money was spent by the club and however you account for it, it's not going to disappear, so we can't really just ignore it.

He said he'd put in £20m a year and he is, the problem is that's all being swallowed up by the losses - I have this memory of him mentioning that the £20m would include covering losses, at the time, is that right? - he's continually getting shit from people for not investing in the club, yet these accounts show that he's put in a serious amount of his own money and taken nothing out.

Found the statement: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7615655.stm

I was always prepared to bank roll Newcastle up to the tune of £20 million per year but no more. That was my bargain. I would make the club solvent. I would make it a going concern. I would pour up to £20 million a year into the club and not expect anything back.

Bankroll the club means...

...well, bankroll the club, obviously.

It doesn't mean: bankroll the club and give the manager £20m to spend on players on top of that. So these figures show that he's doing exactly what he said he'd do.

So that's one of the things that people had decided he was lying about, despite not having any actual evidence either way, chalked off the list.

Wonder how many more we'll have to remove when the actual facts are revealed?

Wonder how many people will acknowledge it?

Wonder if I'm wasting my time? :lol:

Ashley's £100 million unsecured loan is repayable at LIBOR + 0.5% which he hasn't taken as of 30th June 2008.

And if he still hasn't taken it, I think it says a lot about Mike Ashley.  People are saying he doesn't care about the club and he was just in it for the money.  But if he isn't taking the interest he clearly is making an effort to help the club

It is his fucking club man.

And if he still hasn't taken it, I think it says a lot about Mike Ashley.  People are saying he doesn't care about the club and he was just in it for the money.  But if he isn't taking the interest he clearly is making an effort to help the club.  His failing is that he has made terrible decisions about who to trust, IMO.

Again, it's all down to shit communication from inside of the cub.

Guest sid1984

I'm going to apologise now if this has been mentioned before, but does the fact that the accounts are only up to June 2008 make any difference. I'm just thinking with all those people myself included paying for a 3 year season ticket, would this not add even more to the income for 6 months to december 2008 and thus possibly put us into profit without Ashley's 20 million for this season?

And if he still hasn't taken it, I think it says a lot about Mike Ashley.  People are saying he doesn't care about the club and he was just in it for the money.  But if he isn't taking the interest he clearly is making an effort to help the club

It is his f***ing club man.

Yeah, and he could be taking the interest right now and no one would give it a second thought.  I tell you what, after people slagged him off after the Keegan fiasco I could understand him taking the interest if I were him.  I say again, if he were in it just for the money like a lot of people have said, he would have taken the interest.  Business is business unless you look at the club differently.

I'm going to apologise now if this has been mentioned before, but does the fact that the accounts are only up to June 2008 make any difference. I'm just thinking with all those people myself included paying for a 3 year season ticket, would this not add even more to the income for 6 months to december 2008 and thus possibly put us into profit without Ashley's 20 million for this season?

The advance sales will show up during the years in which they are due so they'll be filtered into the accounts over 3 years.