People who think we have quality in the squad.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Robert had much better end product but Jonas is much  better team player so it's a case of swings and roundabouts there. The problem for me is that we don't have real quality in midfield. The back four is passable when the first choice defenders are fit, but there is no cover.

The midfield even when everyone is fit lacks goals. This is why I don't rate Guthrie as a "quality" player. In his position most successful teams have a midfielder who attacks the box and contributes goals. Butt was pensioned off a deacde ago at Man U, it's a disgrace he is starting virtually every game for us. Duff is a shell of a player doomed to relegate whoever he plays for. Barton is the only decent central midfielder we have on our books and he's slow.

You can't run a high powered car on a clapped out motor and that's what we've got in our engine room.

:thup:

I do agree with AS9's Robert comment tho, though probably a better comparison would be with Dyer in terms of what Jonas brings to the side. in that sense we're still to replace Robert's end product rather than his position.

That is a good comparison actually, Jonas is like a slower version of Dyer who isn't a c*** and doesn't get injured, also works harder defensively. Whilst Jonas looks destructive when running, he flatters to deceive imo. Take his late run in the box vs WH; can you see Robert not converting in that position? He would have cracked it like a bullet.

Jonas has the work ethic which people seem to desire so much, but you cannot replace technical ability. He will never score a goal like the many Robert smashed in.

What I'm trying to say is technically, who do we have in the squad who competes with the likes of Robert/Solano? Nobody.

Considering we can't even deliver a proper corner you have a real point there.

Robert had much better end product but Jonas is much  better team player so it's a case of swings and roundabouts there. The problem for me is that we don't have real quality in midfield. The back four is passable when the first choice defenders are fit, but there is no cover.

The midfield even when everyone is fit lacks goals. This is why I don't rate Guthrie as a "quality" player. In his position most successful teams have a midfielder who attacks the box and contributes goals. Butt was pensioned off a deacde ago at Man U, it's a disgrace he is starting virtually every game for us. Duff is a shell of a player doomed to relegate whoever he plays for. Barton is the only decent central midfielder we have on our books and he's slow.

You can't run a high powered car on a clapped out motor and that's what we've got in our engine room.

I do agree with AS9's Robert comment tho, though probably a better comparison would be with Dyer in terms of what Jonas brings to the side. in that sense we're still to replace Robert's end product rather than his position.

That is a good comparison actually, Jonas is like a slower version of Dyer who isn't a cunt and doesn't get injured, also works harder defensively. Whilst Jonas looks destructive when running, he flatters to deceive imo. Take his late run in the box vs WH; can you see Robert not converting in that position? He would have cracked it like a bullet.

Jonas has the work ethic which people seem to desire so much, but you cannot replace technical ability. He will never score a goal like the many Robert smashed in.

What I'm trying to say is technically, who do we have in the squad who competes with the likes of Robert/Solano? Nobody.

well said.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Re: people who think we don't have quality in the squad.

We do.

The problem is the amount of absolute shite that's nowhere near premiership standard.

It is a sad day when the player with the best technique in the squad is fucking Geremi. Even our better players are shit techinically.

Re: people who think we don't have quality in the squad.

We do.

The problem is the amount of absolute shite that's nowhere near premiership standard.

It is a sad day when the player with the best technique in the squad is fucking Geremi. Even our better players are shit techinically.

We're lacking creativity and outstanding technical ability, but we do have a number of players I would say are 'quality'.

If you're just talking about technical ability with the ball (i.e. Solano) then I agree we're short.

That is a good comparison actually, Jonas is like a slower version of Dyer who isn't a cunt and doesn't get injured, also works harder defensively. Whilst Jonas looks destructive when running, he flatters to deceive imo. Take his late run in the box vs WH; can you see Robert not converting in that position? He would have cracked it like a bullet.

well said.

So overall you're saying this team isnt as good as the team that got us into the CL? Do you not think that how we play as a team directly affectshow many oppurtunities we create. With a more expansive gane (one we wont expect to see from Kinnear) I think Zog and Jonas could get a hell of a lot more assits than they are now. Id also suggest, again, that Shearer is the key to all this as well.

Like ive said before, its not the quality of the ingredients that is the most important thing, its the skill of the chef.

Agreed, but what I'm saying is that when you've got a squad full of shite midfielders, Jonas is the least of our problems. Duff, Butt and Guthrie all contribute no end product, the only difference being they are slower and can't go past people. Once these guys are out of the first team we can look to finding a better replacement for Jonas, although we probably wouldn't need one if the other changes were actually made.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Agreed, but what I'm saying is that when you've got a squad full of shite midfielders, Jonas is the least of our problems. Duff, Butt and Guthrie all contribute no end product, the only difference being they are slower and can't go past people. Once these guys are out of the first team we can look to finding a better replacement for Jonas, although we probably wouldn't need one if the other changes were actually made.

I'm picking out Jonas because people think he's quality when in reality he's a completely average Prem midfielder for someone pushing top 9/10

Guest Alan Shearer 9

well said.

So overall you're saying this team isnt as good as the team that got us into the CL? Do you not think that how we play as a team directly affectshow many oppurtunities we create. With a more expansive gane (one we wont expect to see from Kinnear) I think Zog and Jonas could get a hell of a lot more assits than they are now. Id also suggest, again, that Shearer is the key to all this as well.

Like ive said before, its not the quality of the ingredients that is the most important thing, its the skill of the chef.

You're deluded if you think Jonas/Zog would contribute as many goals/assists as Solano/Robert in any team.

well said.

You're deluded if you think Jonas/Zog would contribute as many goals/assists as Solano/Robert in any team.

Ive never understood why people find it hard to read and actually understand what people are saying.

You;re comparing this side with one that got us into the CL?

Its akin to comparing Martins with Shearer and saying Martins isnt therefore good enough becasue he doesnt stand up to those stats.

How does you theory go when looking at our defence?

For what its worth, if Jonas and Zog played for Man U, they might not get the same amount of assists as Robert and Solano but i can guartunee you that they;d get more assists than they would here over the same period.

After re reading your opening post, Im not exactly sure what your point is?

you're deluded

Says the man who's comparing this squad with one that got us into the CL and trying to draw out logical conclusions from the comparison, which as far as i can see is 2004 > 2009 team.

Well done, have a banana.

While we're at it Guthrie isnt as good as Rob Lee, we must therefore have no quality in the squad.

I'm picking out Jonas because people think he's quality when in reality he's a completely average Prem midfielder for someone pushing top 9/10

and I'm asking why pick out Jonas when we have a squad full of has-beens picking up big wages for producing far less? If we put the entire midfield up for sale who would fetch the least from Jonas, Guthrie, Geremi, Barton, N'Zogbia, Butt or Duff?

If you think the answer is Jonas you have a point.

Given / Given

Hughes / Beye

O'Brien / Coloccini

Bramble / Bassong

Bernard / Enrique

Solano / Jonas

Speed / Guthrie

Dyer / Barton

Robert / N'Zogbia

Shearer / Owen

Bellamy / Martins :iamatwat:

In terms of individual quality, the team back then had better players on the whole.

However (admittedly i'm a squad sympathiser), i've never claimed this one to be as good as the one from back then. Of course not. That was a last-16 CL team, and it was fucking mint. My argument has simply been that it's not the million miles away that it appears to be. Aye, the current one is not Champions Leauge standard, of course not, but it's far from being relegation standard aswell. It's a good, solid team. Lacks a bit of depth but it's got a stack of decent footballers.

Basically, i think it's unfair to lambast this one simply because it's not as good as the one from 2002.

So, aye - whilst we don't have the genuine technical quality that Nobby/Robert offered back then, we've got bundles of raw and explosive talent to compensate to a certain extent. Aye, it's nowhere near as good as the 2002 one, but the telling factor is undoubtedly the managers. I won't have it any other way tbh. Sir Bobby was a million miles ahead of this prick we've got now, and it brushes on the rest of the players and club. Sir Bobby not only provided the footballing qualities, but he unified the players and unified the support. It's a cliche but if we had "as good a team as the fans, then we wouldn't be half bad" - Sir Bobby conjoined the two and look what happened.

Joe Kinnear? I'm not going to waste my time bothering to make the comparison.

The squad isn't the problem.

I can only echo what Fredbob's said tbh. Yeah he's not as good as Solano but that's not something to judge him on. We're not a Champions Leauge team, no one's claiming it so what's the point.

And another thing, again that Fredbob touched upon, if you play players to their strenght then you'll reap the rewards. Something else Sir Bobby had the nack of doing. For one thing, Jonas is playing down the right when he is clearly more suited to the left.

Sure the squad is a problem, as it lacks some vital qualities. Both pace and technique. And while Owen and Martins can arguably be said to be better than Shearer and Bellamy individually (I strongly disagree, Yorkie!), they don't work nearly as well together as an attacking unit. Bellamy made a slow Shearer a top class striker for several years. That takes pace, and it also takes extreme determination, which neither of our strikers have at this moment.

The squad could possibly be mid-table with a good manager, but not much more. It's not significantly better than last season, as there are fewer bodies in it.

Given / Given

Hughes / Beye

O'Brien / Coloccini

Bramble / Bassong

Bernard / Enrique

Solano / Jonas

Speed / Guthrie

Dyer / Barton

Robert / N'Zogbia

Shearer / Owen

Bellamy / Martins :iamatwat:

In terms of individual quality, the team back then had better players on the whole.

However (admittedly i'm a squad sympathiser), i've never claimed this one to be as good as the one from back then. Of course not. That was a last-16 CL team, and it was fucking mint. My argument has simply been that it's not the million miles away that it appears to be. Aye, the current one is not Champions Leauge standard, of course not, but it's far from being relegation standard aswell. It's a good, solid team. Lacks a bit of depth but it's got a stack of decent footballers.

Basically, i think it's unfair to lambast this one simply because it's not as good as the one from 2002.

So, aye - whilst we don't have the genuine technical quality that Nobby/Robert offered back then, we've got bundles of raw and explosive talent to compensate to a certain extent. Aye, it's nowhere near as good as the 2002 one, but the telling factor is undoubtedly the managers. I won't have it any other way tbh. Sir Bobby was a million miles ahead of this prick we've got now, and it brushes on the rest of the players and club. Sir Bobby not only provided the footballing qualities, but he unified the players and unified the support. It's a cliche but if we had "as good a team as the fans, then we wouldn't be half bad" - Sir Bobby conjoined the two and look what happened.

Joe Kinnear? I'm not going to waste my time bothering to make the comparison.

<b>The squad isn't the problem. </b>

Agree.  :thup:

Every manager from Souness and to now Joe Kinnear has blamed their own failures onto the squad this must stop none of them can honestly say they have got the best out of the players at this football club.

This club will only get back to 3rd, 4th and 5th and consistent European football when they have replaced the man that got it as of yet none of them have come up to that standard Kevin Keegan included.

Sure the squad is a problem, as it lacks some vital qualities. Both pace and technique. And while Owen and Martins can arguably be said to be better than Shearer and Bellamy individually (I strongly disagree, Yorkie!), they don't work nearly as well together as an attacking unit. Bellamy made a slow Shearer a top class striker for several years. That takes pace, and it also takes extreme determination, which neither of our strikers have at this moment.

The squad could possibly be mid-table with a good manager, but not much more. It's not significantly better than last season, as there are fewer bodies in it.

Haha, i thought you might. I think i do aswell tbh, was looking for a bit more than anything if i'm honest. ;)

I'd have faith in Sir Bobby Robson, or any competent manager tbh, to find a working partnership between Owen and Martins. Yeah Shearer and Bellamy fitted perfectly - it was too perfect for it not to. Bobby had it easy there; little and large, and they complimented each other brilliantly.

People forget that Sir Bobby also maintained a top 5 finish when he 'got the best' out of Shearer and Ameobi. Shearer still scored 28 goals that season and i think Bellers missed about four months didn't he? I bet Shola had as many appearances, if not more, as Bellamy in that 03/04 season. We still finished fifth and got to the UEFA Cup semi-final.

You could argue that Shearer and Shola were even less suited than Owen and Martins.

Strike partners working as a unit is as much to do with the managerial influence and the rest of the team, as it is to do with the stikers' understanding of each other.

I agree with much of the original post - quite a number of people seem to think that the players are better than they really are ; if you take the ones that seem to be classed as 'good buys' by some on here, I would rate them as follows;-

Jonas - Looks good because he works harder than most wingers ; however, his job, as an attacking midfielder, is to create, and score, goals. He has done very little of the first part, and NONE of the second.

Coloccini - I rated him the best of the new signings at first, but his limitations in the Prem have become all too obvious ; often misjudges runs by forwards, which mean that he gets on the wrong side of them, then is caught for pace. His best attribute is his reading of a game, but when this lets him down, he is stuffed for recovery.

Guthrie - Looks neat & tidy, but that is basically IT ; he is not, and will not be, a top Prem midfielder which is why L/Pool didn't fight to keep him originally.Would probably look better in the Championship as he works hard.

Bassong - has done quite well but I want to see him against some of the sides we have to play at SJP in the next few months before passing judgment.

None of the a/m are BAD players - they are just not good enough for a side with real ambition, and I agree that Robert was far more of a threat than Jonas will ever be, although Jonas's temperament is better.

I don't think we have enough 'quality', but I don't think that necessarily means just technical ability.

Sir Bobby's squad had more character.  That was the most important thing.  We obviously don't have anyone like Shearer providing leadership on the pitch these days, but there were also players like Speed and (yes) Bellamy who could provide inspiration and leadership.  Even Robert on his day.  Who are the equivalent players in this squad?  We have none.  Our best players turn up when the team is collectively playing well and opposition isn't.  And that isn't good enough in this league.  You need to win the poor games, which is what Sir Bobby's teams did. 

These days when we are 0-1 down to Blackburn or Hull or Wigan or whoever, you just don't see a goal coming.  I'm not saying they don't care (I'm sure some - not all - do) but there is no magic.  Maybe that is down to the manager not providing the confidence, maybe it has more to do with the personality of the players. 

So no, the technical ability of the squad isn't the problem.  And much of it is down to the manager.  But I'm convinced that a good manager wouldn't try and coach good performances out of Nicky Butt, Geremi or Duff.  That is a fool's errand.  He'd bin the fuckers and start again.