Is Dennis Wise a disruptive influence? Or are the fans making him one?

The Prophet

I don't think he has disrupted anything, despite being blamed for just about everything which has gone wrong he has kept a professional silence and on the evidence of recruitment so far (albeit perhaps not enough) he seems to be bringing decent players and youngsters into the club.

As someone who (like everyone else in Newcastle) once hated Wise and loved Keegan, I've got to say that whatever happened it's Wise I admire more now.

Keegan had the backing and love of the fans and was at a club he supposedly loved and yet walked out on us (again) the moment there was an issue to be addressed. Wise despite having no popular backing has stuck to his job when frankly it would have been much easier for him to walk.

Wise love him or hate him (and most hate him) was always a tough little f*cker and I quite admire that. He just seems to be getting on with the job he was contracted to do but will always be a convenient scapegoat for justifying Keegan's walk out.

All that may be perfectly right but at the end of the day I still don't really know what he does for this club. It's a bit hard to praise him for sticking to his job when we don't fully understand what it is.

By the same token it's even more harsh to criticise him for it.

Not in the sense that its something he's had more than enough to easily clear up himself.

I don't think he has disrupted anything, despite being blamed for just about everything which has gone wrong he has kept a professional silence and on the evidence of recruitment so far (albeit perhaps not enough) he seems to be bringing decent players and youngsters into the club.

As someone who (like everyone else in Newcastle) once hated Wise and loved Keegan, I've got to say that whatever happened it's Wise I admire more now.

Keegan had the backing and love of the fans and was at a club he supposedly loved and yet walked out on us (again) the moment there was an issue to be addressed. Wise despite having no popular backing has stuck to his job when frankly it would have been much easier for him to walk.

Wise love him or hate him (and most hate him) was always a tough little f*cker and I quite admire that. He just seems to be getting on with the job he was contracted to do but will always be a convenient scapegoat for justifying Keegan's walk out.

All that may be perfectly right but at the end of the day I still don't really know what he does for this club. It's a bit hard to praise him for sticking to his job when we don't fully understand what it is.

Not in the sense its something he could quite easily clear up himself.

And prejudice the potential court case with Keegan?  Wake up & be realistic man :idiot2:

Perhaps. It's not hard to see why most fans came down on the side of Keegan though.

And prejudice the potential court case with Keegan?  Wake up & be realistic man :idiot2:

Isnt the court case about THEN? Why has that stopped him talking about NOW, the present?

A more pertinent question in all this is why did Wise undermine Keegan?

Baring in mind this only happened on the last day of the window and there seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest that Keegan DID have say on the transfers (reportedly tunring down a fair number of foreign targets) why was it that Wise et al felt they had to undermine Keegan in such a big way?

Is it a simple case of it always being the plan? In which case why didnt the underminng come much earlier or is there another reason?

Isnt the court case about THEN? Why has that stopped him talking about NOW, the present?

Because talking about now would suggest that what is happening now was always the plan in terms of people's roles within the recruitment team.

Perhaps. It's not hard to see why most fans came down on the side of Keegan though.

Undoubtedly.  I'm more than prepared to wait & see though.

The worrying thing for me is the mixed messages (or lies ;)) that Kinnear has come out with lately. Is Wise doing the negotiating, or is he? Is Wise choosing the players in and out, or is he?

As I said earlier, if he genuinely doesn't know where he stands then Wise cannot help but be a disruptive influence. Because I still believe the manager should be allowed to manage, regardless of how shit he is.

Because talking about now would suggest that what is happening now was always the plan in terms of people's roles within the recruitment team.

Wouldnt the evidence & everything said back then cover that?

Guest The Libertine

A more pertinent question in all this is why did Wise undermine Keegan?

Baring in mind this only happened on the last day of the window and there seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest that Keegan DID have say on the transfers (reportedly tunring down a fair number of foreign targets) why was it that Wise et al felt they had to undermine Keegan in such a big way?

Is it a simple case of it always being the plan? In which case why didnt the underminng come much earlier or is there another reason?

there's a few quotes from mort from around january which basically say that keegan is just the coach. i think he had some say in the targets but they were unrealistic so wise and the other two had to get the players in as the end of the window was getting nearer.

The worrying thing for me is the mixed messages (or lies ;)) that Kinnear has come out with lately. Is Wise doing the negotiating, or is he? Is Wise choosing the players in and out, or is he?

As I said earlier, if he genuinely doesn't know where he stands then Wise cannot help but be a disruptive influence. Because I still believe the manager should be allowed to manage, regardless of how shit he is.

Kinnear is just scrambling the signals. Sort of like that German Enigma machine.  :thup:

The message is there but it's jibberish to most fans. 

I agree completely.

But then what could Wise really do to win the fans over?  I think that answers the question in the opening post about whether he is, or has been, made a scapegoat/disruptive influence.

Wouldnt the evidence & everything said back then cover that?

Absolutely not.

Why would Wise need to win the fans over?

edit: I think that answers a lot of the silence the club has been putting out.  Clearly there is no fuck to be given as to how he's viewed by the fans, so why bother saying anything?

I agree completely.

But then what could Wise really do to win the fans over? I think that answers the question in the opening post about whether he is, or has been, made a scapegoat/disruptive influence.

It has to be said but did Dennis Wise really never see this coming. Whether it was related to Keegan or not, he was probably always on a hiding to nothing coming here.

Everyone down here in Birmingham, when he joined, to a man said "what the fuck !!".

At Leeds, I am guessing, but they probably reacted the same when he got the Manager's job but as Manager, all it needed was some good results for the attitudes to change - and that barnstorming start to the season they had certainly helped with that. Having a back ground job like he has with us however makes it so much harder to alter the public perception of him.

I cant ever see him being accepted here now

Because he's a key employee of the club.

Really not trying to be a dick here but ... so?  He doesn't show up on the pitch or the dugout, he works behind the scenes, what the fuck do fans really need to like him for for his job to get done?

A player or manager I could understand fans needing to like, because of the backing support shows on the pitch.  But I just don't get why Wise needs to be seen as a golden boy in anyones eyes but Ashleys.

edit: I think this gets back to whether or not he's doing the job he's supposed to be doing.  If he is (was?) then there's no reason to dislike him.  I don't think he has to be a public figure at all. 

I agree completely.

But then what could Wise really do to win the fans over?  I think that answers the question in the opening post about whether he is, or has been, made a scapegoat/disruptive influence.

It has to be said but did Dennis Wise really never see this coming. Whether it was related to Keegan or not, he was probably always on a hiding to nothing coming here.

Everyone down here in Birmingham, when he joined, to a man said "what the fuck !!".

At Leeds, I am guessing, but they probably reacted the same when he got the Manager's job but as Manager, all it needed was some good results for the attitudes to change - and that barnstorming start to the season they had certainly helped with that. Having a back ground job like he has with us however makes it so much harder to alter the public perception of him.

I cant ever see him being accepted here now

That's more down to the narrow-mindedness of other people than any fault of his.

Because he's a key employee of the club.

Really not trying to be a dick here but ... so?  He doesn't show up on the pitch or the dugout, he works behind the scenes, what the fuck do fans really need to like him for for his job to get done?

A player or manager I could understand fans needing to like, because of the backing support shows on the pitch.  But I just don't get why Wise needs to be seen as a golden boy in anyones eyes but Ashleys.

edit: I think this gets back to whether or not he's doing the job he's supposed to be doing.  If he is (was?) then there's no reason to dislike him.  I don't think he has to be a public figure at all. 

Simply because if this shite directed towards him carries on there's not a lot of point in him staying, no matter how good a job he does.

Tbf, you've taken a small bit of what I've said & ran with it as an argument.  People need to give him a chance to do the job he's been employed to do was my original point.

Guest fading star

Anyone fancy defining his role with accuracy?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1227633,00.html

NEWCASTLE United announces that Dennis Wise has agreed to join the Club in the role of Executive Director (Football). Also joining the Club are Tony Jimenez as Vice President (Player Recruitment) and Jeff Vetere, who joins from Real Madrid in the position of Technical Co-ordinator.

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman.Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.

Chairman Chris Mort said: "This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the Club as manager.

"Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the Club, were that the Club would benefit from having a football person involved at Board level, which it has not had historically, and that further senior resources are needed for recruiting players of the highest quality from this country and further afield.

"Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a Board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence, we believe he will do very well in this new position.

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term. One or two further key appointments will follow in the months ahead."

:buck2:

:buck2: x 1000

The first bit in bold implies that KK has/had total control but its sort of watered down by the second.

Ambiguous at best.

Wonder if this was intentional or just a coincidence?

What was Mort's profession?

Lawyer

i rest my case

NEWCASTLE United announces that Dennis Wise has agreed to join the Club in the role of Executive Director (Football). Also joining the Club are Tony Jimenez as Vice President (Player Recruitment) and Jeff Vetere, who joins from Real Madrid in the position of Technical Co-ordinator.

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman.Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.

Chairman Chris Mort said: "This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the Club as manager.

"Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the Club, were that the Club would benefit from having a football person involved at Board level, which it has not had historically, and that further senior resources are needed for recruiting players of the highest quality from this country and further afield.

"Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a Board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence, we believe he will do very well in this new position.

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term. One or two further key appointments will follow in the months ahead."

The first bit in bold implies that KK has/had total control but its sort of watered down by the second.

Ambiguous at best.

Lawyer

i rest my case

I bet you fucking don't.

Ambiguous at best.

Lawyer

i rest my case

ORDER IN THE COURT!

Ambiguous at best.

Lawyer

i rest my case

I bet you fucking don't.

:lol: