As bad a time/crisis at the club since WWII?

Big Geordie

Doubtlessly will get shot down for saying this - but I genuinely feel it's that bad. I don't really remember when we went down in 78 (was only 5 at the time) Am old enough to remember 88/89 which was a desperate season when we went down without a whimper in the end. However, 2009/09 really concerns me.

In 88/89, we had very few quality players. We started badly and never really got away from the wrong end of the table. We had a mini-revival just before Easter 89. but a 3-1 defeat at home to Sheff Wednesday put paid to that. However this time around - something is very wrong within the football club. We all know that there's problems at the top - from the owner to the manager. However, surely the players have to start taking some responsibility too? Am I right in thinking that we have the 5th highest wage bill in the PL, with a squad (as small and unbalanced as it is) which has plenty of players who have been capped at full level by their countries. And yet, look where we find ourselves. Value for money? I think not. The club has been a soft touch for years now when it comes to players. They come in, suck on the tit of the cash cow in return for minimal effort. When things go bad - they drop like flies through injuries and some start wanting to leave the club without having the balls to put in a transfer request (Given excluded from that) That's down to greed so as not to lose out on loyalty payments.

Regardless of what happens this season - a new broom has to go through the club in the summer. Funny how we keep on saying that year in/year out and it never happens.

How many of the current squad to you believe genuinely give a flying one about our present plight. A handful at most, IMO. What happens on the pitch doesn't lie.

Guest firetotheworks

I dunno like, I think WWII was worse. People died and that.

Either way, it was Mike Ashley's fault.

I blame Souness.

I blame the immigrants.

Guest firetotheworks

I dunno like, I think WWII was worse. People died and that.

Either way, it was Mike Ashley's fault.

I blame Souness.

I blame the immigrants.

I blame the racists.

yep, them aswell.

I often agree with your comments, BG, but although you are correct in your summary of the club and its players, this isn't the worst situation since WW 2.

I reckon 78 was the worst - the club had just gone down, it had a bad Board(I think Rutherford was the Chairman)which didn't look like changing at all, an uncharismatic manager in McGarry(although he was a better bet than Kinnear is now..!)and all the decent players had either gone or wanted to go...

There seemed to be NO future, and indeed, it was 2 years before McGarry mounted a promotion challenge(which flopped at the last few hurdles and cost us Peter Withe who went on to win the European Cup with Villa)...

It was to be another 2 years(1982)before KK arrived as a player, and another 2 before we finally went up in 84..even then, the board contrived to lose Arthur Cox before the next season started because......THEY WOULDN'T BUY THE  PLAYERS HE WANTED....does that sound familiar...!!??

However, if the club goes down this time, it is a bigger fall from grace after 16 years at the top and being runners-up twice and Cup Finalists twice, as well as several campaigns in Europe and even some CL appearances. Also, it is hard to see the club bouncing back quickly because there is nothing in Reserve.

Probably the SECOND-worst since WW2 - there wasn't as big a gap between the top teams and the rest before.

Guest loonietoonie

:lol: ffs we haven't gone down YET!!

Oi Dave, any chance we could get Prozac to sponsor this forum?

We need it :D

I often agree with your comments, BG, but although you are correct in your summary of the club and its players, this isn't the worst situation since WW 2.

I reckon 78 was the worst - the club had just gone down, it had a bad Board(I think Rutherford was the Chairman)which didn't look like changing at all, an uncharismatic manager in McGarry(although he was a better bet than Kinnear is now..!)and all the decent players had either gone or wanted to go...

There seemed to be NO future, and indeed, it was 2 years before McGarry mounted a promotion challenge(which flopped at the last few hurdles and cost us Peter Withe who went on to win the European Cup with Villa)...

It was to be another 2 years(1982)before KK arrived as a player, and another 2 before we finally went up in 84..even then, the board contrived to lose Arthur Cox before the next season started because......THEY WOULDN'T BUY THE  PLAYERS HE WANTED....does that sound familiar...!!??

However, if the club goes down this time, it is a bigger fall from grace after 16 years at the top and being runners-up twice and Cup Finalists twice, as well as several campaigns in Europe and even some CL appearances. Also, it is hard to see the club bouncing back quickly because there is nothing in Reserve.

Probably the SECOND-worst since WW2 - there wasn't as big a gap between the top teams and the rest before.

I hardly know where to start. Everything you say is sadly true. The whole situation is completely sickening but I have to say the most perplexing thing of all is the amount of people who didn't appreciate it when we had good directors, especially those who say they witnessed the times you have mentioned.

We may well also spend a lot longer in this slump than people think. There is only one way forward and to succeed again, and Mike Ashley has shown yet more of his true colours by not moving a muscle to try and save the club instead only throwing as much mud at his predecessors as it was possible to dig up.

I'm just saying to people now that its inevitable we will do down, because I truly believe that under this man and the direction he has set up.

at the moment , its behind , 78, 89, for worseness, as they were both relegations that happened, this is just starting out, could turn out to be worse tho.

I hardly know where to start. Everything you say is sadly true. The whole situation is completely sickening but I have to say the most perplexing thing of all is the amount of people who didn't appreciate it when we had good directors, especially those who say they witnessed the times you have mentioned.

We may well also spend a lot longer in this slump than people think. There is only one way forward and to succeed again, and Mike Ashley has shown yet more of his true colours by not moving a muscle to try and save the club instead only throwing as much mud at his predecessors as it was possible to dig up.

I'm just saying to people now that its inevitable we will do down, because I truly believe that under this man and the direction he has set up.

How has he thrown mud at them, by releasing the clubs accounts?