SHEARER

Guest Micktoon

The best thing we can do is forget Alan Shearer as a possibility for manager. He's obviously more interested in the media than in management, or he would have started at a smaller club already.

Failing that, we should give him the job ASAP to get it over with and move on.

I don't think you can summise that from his actions. He may just be waiting for a 'big' job seeing as it takes years and years to move up the ladder from a smaller club (look how many top teams hire English/British managers that have achieved success in a lower division?). He has a good reputation now so he's not going to fuck it all up and ruin his career by jumping aboard a sinking ship (like ours). He's selfish and reasonably so. Imagine he took over a team like Leeds, got them promoted from League One to the Championship but then languished there. What next for Shearer? Stay until he's sacked? Resign? Which Premiership team will want to hire him?

If he eventually manages us, you can be sure that everything set's up the way he wants to, which will be a good thing. His reputation probably precedes his ability so he's not going to waste this opportunity by starting small. If you have a chance to go for the big time right away, why not go for it?

I don't think Shearer's involvement in media work means he lacks enough interest in management. He no doubt enjoys his job, and he's probably waiting for the right opportunity and time to get involved in managing a club. I don't think he is doing MOTD because it is 'easy' work. He's still in his 30s so there's no need for him to rush into anything, whether it be with us or another club

He's also no doubt enjoying his time away from all the intense pressure of being such a talisman for his clubs and England, and most significantly, his current job means he can spend more time with his family.

I don't think Shearer's involvement in media work means he lacks enough interest in management. He no doubt enjoys his job, and he's probably waiting for the right opportunity and time to get involved in managing a club. I don't think he is doing MOTD because it is 'easy' work.

He's also no doubt enjoying his time away from all the intense pressure of being such a talisman for his clubs and England, and most significantly, his current job means he can spend a lot, lot more time with his family.

His previous job was hardly 9 to 5.

I don't think Shearer's involvement in media work means he lacks enough interest in management. He no doubt enjoys his job, and he's probably waiting for the right opportunity and time to get involved in managing a club. I don't think he is doing MOTD because it is 'easy' work.

He's also no doubt enjoying his time away from all the intense pressure of being such a talisman for his clubs and England, and most significantly, his current job means he can spend a lot more time with his family.

I'm well aware. He'll get to see more of them as a pundit as opposed to a manager/player though, wouldn't you agree?

Guest toonlass

Anyone who says Shearer is not a toon fan is off their heads. He comes to a lot of the home games. Anyone who thinks Alan Shearer hasn't got the balls is off their heads. Shearer has more than enough to come and manage us. Why should he though? He owes none of us anything. He would like to manage Newcastle one day but has made it clear that its not while the current hierarchy is in place. He gets paid comfortably to be a pundit at the moment. He will probably go into management one day, but why start in the hardest job in football management at the worst time in the club's history for 15 years?

He's also no doubt enjoying his time away from all the intense pressure of being such a talisman for his clubs and England, and most significantly, his current job means he can spend a lot more time with his family.

I'm well aware. He'll get to see more of them as a pundit as opposed to a manager/player though, wouldn't you agree?

He's had plenty of spare time in the last 20 years, greedy work shy bastard should get a proper job.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think Shearer is a fan of the regime, some of the players and our style of football but to question whether he is a supporter of the club would be ridiculous tbh because he clearly is and always will be. After his first season or so at Blackburn, in a rare moment of unprofessionalism, he was asked by Shoot I think it was, whether he'd like to finish his career at Ewood and he said no, as he hoped to one day play for Newcastle United. Whenever Shearer visited Newcastle with Blackburn he always stayed behind a few days to meet up with family, making sure to drive around SJP at night just marvelling the place. NUFC can make you bitter and turn you away from those stands as well as make you very critical and seemingly unsupportive, but that love affair will never die, for anyone who has ever grown up with the club in their hearts and blood, which Shearer certainly did.

:lol: :lol: at Shearer not being a Toon fan.

I didn't see MOTD but he's probably as sick as everyone else of the usual Liverpool wankfest you get from some of the other pundits, so he wouldn't want to act the same over his own team and therefore tries a more neutral/balanced view. Nowt in it.

:lol: :lol: at Shearer not being a Toon fan.

I didn't see MOTD but he's probably as sick as everyone else of the usual Liverpool wankfest you get from some of the other pundits, so he wouldn't want to act the same over his own team and therefore tries a more neutral/balanced view. Nowt in it.

MOTD tend to be pretty good with their pundits in terms of bias, Hansen in particular I think is good at downplaying his Liverpool connection (but then I think he's one of the best pundits full stop).

The last thing they want is the bumfest you used to see on Soccer Saturday from Phil Thompson, which is why he's been taken off Liverpool games (yet still spends most of his time watching the Liverpool screen of another pundit).

They'll ask Shearer about Newcastle more but I don't see anything wrong about him criticizing. We're Newcastle fans and we slag them off all the time. I've a feeling it's because they're shit.

shearer himself has admitted that he had to stopp calling newcastle 'us' due ot complaints from a few 'old women' as he put it.

what do people expect him to do? wear black and white goggles?

wullie is right on 2 counts, thompson is cringeworthy (and a twat to boot mind), and also shearer has a right to criticise, we fucking do, he'd be a liar to do otherwise (and would get crucified for that as well btw).

Anyone who says Shearer is not a toon fan is off their heads. He comes to a lot of the home games. Anyone who thinks Alan Shearer hasn't got the balls is off their heads. Shearer has more than enough to come and manage us. Why should he though? He owes none of us anything. He would like to manage Newcastle one day but has made it clear that its not while the current hierarchy is in place. He gets paid comfortably to be a pundit at the moment. He will probably go into management one day, but why start in the hardest job in football management at the worst time in the club's history for 15 years?

Good post - agree with it all.

Still pissed me off no end with that celebration when he came off the bench in '93. As a matter of fact he always went mad when scoring against us when playing for Blackburn. Obviously nothing like that twat Fenton mind.  :razz:

Shearer would be mad to touch this job at the moment and also there's no way he'd be a part of the club under Ashley's regime. As for MotD - he'll have to keep his preference in check, otherwise there would be a shed load of complaints.

He was nothing but a fantastic servant to the club, during his time here. Why some folk choose to stick the knife in at times, is beyond me.

To be honest i can't believe some people are trying to cast doubts over Shearer's allegiance to the club.

If certain players who are at the club now put in half the effort Shearer did when he was at the club, we wouldn't be in the shit we're in now.

To be honest i can't believe some people are trying to cast doubts over Shearer's allegiance to the club.

If certain players who are at the club now put in half the effort Shearer did when he was at the club, we wouldn't be in the s*** we're in now.

This :thup: