Can we win the UEFA Cup?

Guest SeattleToon

Guest SeattleToon

We'd have to catch more than a few breaks along the way, but right now we are the top seeded team left in the competition and after last night's win over Palermo will almost certainly will win our group and therefore play a 3rd placed team from one of the other groups in the next round. That'll likely put us through to the Round of 16, after which anything is possible since the draw will be unseeded.

Right now, the only thing that would really throw a spanner in the works is if Arsenal lose to Porto on November 21st, since that means that Arsenal would almost certainly finish thrid in their group and drop into the UEFA Cup.

Otherwise, from the Champions League we are looking at probably Werder Bremen from Group A, Sporting Lisbon from Group B, Galatsaray or Bordeaux from Group C, Olympiakos from Group D, Steaua Bucharest from Group E, Benfica or Celtic from Group F, Porto from Group G, and AEK Athens from Group H. Most of them are terrific clubs, but all are also beatable, and we wouldn't have to play any of them until the spring, by which time we would have (hopefully) had the chance to strengthen our squad in the January transfer window. Of all the teams who could potentially drop from the Champions League into the UEFA Cup, only the loser of the Arsenal/Porto battle in Group G would have a higher coefficient than us.

Guest smoggeordie

It all depends on January to whether we have a chance IMO. The competition is a lot stronger this year than in recent seasons.

Guest Geordie_Paul

Personally i think you have to take every game as it comes and not assume anything. We've been doing well in Europe like but there can be upsets at anytime! Just as much chance as anyone.

I F***ING hope so though! Would be an absolute belter party afterwards.

Looking at the quality of the opposition, you'd have to say we have a chance.  But that's always the case in the UEFA Cup.  Its why Moscow can win it and Boro can make the final.  Depends on avoiding the good teams (like Arsenal) that drop in from the Champions League and Sevilla, Ajax etc.

But the answer is of course...

No, because we never win anything.

Somehow we'll even find a way to lose the Intertoto Cup.  We'll finish behind Auxerre or maybe forget it at the airport.  Inevitable.

Of all the teams who could potentially drop from the Champions League into the UEFA Cup, only the loser of the Arsenal/Porto battle in Group G would have a higher coefficient than us.

Barcelona could drop down if Bremen beat Chelsea in Germany, and Barca don't find their form.  Drawing them would be an entertaining disaster.  :lol:

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Looking at the quality of the opposition, you'd have to say we have a chance. But that's always the case in the UEFA Cup. Its why Moscow can win it and Boro can make the final. Depends on avoiding the good teams (like Arsenal) that drop in from the Champions League and Sevilla, Ajax etc.

Somehow we'll even find a way to lose the Intertoto Cup. We'll finish behind Auxerre or maybe forget it at the airport. Inevitable.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance on the topic but I was wondering about the Intertoto Cup.  Is it actual silverware and when is the winner determined (if there is a winner)?

Looking at the quality of the opposition, you'd have to say we have a chance. But that's always the case in the UEFA Cup. Its why Moscow can win it and Boro can make the final. Depends on avoiding the good teams (like Arsenal) that drop in from the Champions League and Sevilla, Ajax etc.

Somehow we'll even find a way to lose the Intertoto Cup. We'll finish behind Auxerre or maybe forget it at the airport. Inevitable.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance on the topic but I was wondering about the Intertoto Cup. Is it actual silverware and when is the winner determined (if there is a winner)?

The intertoto winner is determined by the best performing team who qualified through it.

and yes there is silverware

depends on 2 factors, maybe 3

1.  which CL teams drop through.

2.  owen returning to full fitness

3.  who we sign in jan.

with a bit of  fortune, in the draw, we could make it to quarter final.  although i  have a sneaky feeling well make the final; called blind optimism!

final is likely to be against CL lvl team, so will be very tuff!!

Guest Imperio

All depends on the draw. I don't think anyone should be getting ahead of themselves though and just take each game as it comes. Still potentially tricky games in the group stage so nothing is certain.

Guest Drymarker1

I love the way people say once the group stage is over anything can happen.  i dont know where this comes from and people say it as if it is some sort of lottery.  The fact is that we cannot win the cup because simply put we are not good enough!

One win is all well and good but dont get carried away chaps.  We are not good enough!

Sorry for the blow and i promise to eat my hat bla bla bla if we do win it but lets be honest eh?

People get way to carried away round here like. Are people forgetting where we are in the league?And yes, we have had 2 good wins in Europe, first one was boring as hell though and could have gone either way, and the second we could have got tanked if they had of scored first.

Good start, but we all know what the Toon on like. Remember Lisbon away a couple of years ago?

Of all the teams who could potentially drop from the Champions League into the UEFA Cup, only the loser of the Arsenal/Porto battle in Group G would have a higher coefficient than us.

Having a high coefficient has never won a competition, scoring goals and keeping clean sheets does that.

Highly unlikely for Newcastle to win the Uefa Cup imho.  And before anyone asks, likewise for Spurs.

Having a high coefficient has never won a competition, scoring goals and keeping clean sheets does that.

Highly unlikely for Newcastle to win the Uefa Cup imho.  And before anyone asks, likewise for Spurs.

I do actually believe Spurs can win it, i've seen them a couple of times in europe and they've looked good and although they haven't had a good Premiership start they've still got quality to score goals with Defoe,Keane,Mido or Berbatov and won't leak goals anything like we do.

People get way to carried away round here like. Are people forgetting where we are in the league?And yes, we have had 2 good wins in Europe, first one was boring as hell though and could have gone either way, and the second we could have got tanked if they had of scored first.

Good start, but we all know what the Toon on like. Remember Lisbon away a couple of years ago?

Agreed.