Some old Ryan Taylor thread

Mistle17

http://www.socceram.com/story/0,21644,13873_6822039,00.html

Taylor fitting in nicely

Magpies star enjoying life on Tyneside

Last updated: 19th March 2011

Taylor: loving life on Tyneside

It might be like living in a goldfish bowl at times, but Ryan Taylor says he's settled in nicely at Newcastle.

The former Wigan star joined the Magpies in 2009 and admits it's sometimes difficult to unwind in a city which lives, breathes and eats football.

But he says it's a small price to pay to play in front of over 50,000 adoring Geordies on a weekly basis!

"I love life in Newcastle," he told Soccer AM. "It's such a great city to live in. It's just football crazy.

"I got told the day I signed you're going to be living in a goldfish bowl and even though it's a big place you do actually just live in a goldfish bowl, because everyone just wants to talk to you about football.

"Even when the lads go to the cinema, go for food, go for anything, everyone is just constantly talking football.

"I love going to the cinema and stuff like that and having a bit of time to just chill and relax.

"And it's nice obviously when people do come up to you, but there are certain times and places when... but Newcastle fans being the way they are, they just love a gab at you."

Managers

Since arriving on Tyneside two years ago Taylor has worked with four different managers at the club.

The 26-year-old has played under Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer, Chris Hughton and now calls Alan Pardew gaffer.

Even by modern day standards that is quite the turnover, but while some players would be unsettled by such events, Taylor says he has used it to his advantage.

"It's nice, because if your face doesn't fit with one manager it can always work with the next," he said.

"Joe Kinnear signed me and no sooner did he sign me we were playing West Brom away. He took one training session and the day after (at West Brom) is where he had a heart attack. So I hope I had nothing to do with that!

"But it's nice when a fresh manager comes in with new ideas and gives you a chance."

Chance

Having been hampered by injuries this term, Taylor was given such a chance when he was handed his first start of 2011 against Bolton two weeks ago.

It was also the first time he was selected by Pardew, who took over the reigns at St James Park while the midfielder was still sidelined.

And while he failed to see out the full 90 minutes after receiving his marching orders for a two-footed challenge, he revealed he was grateful to his new boss for showing faith in him.

"The gaffer didn't have to throw me straight back in," he said.

"I hadn't played a game or nothing and it was nice to get on the pitch in front of a new gaffer and try and show him what you can do... other than get sent-off!"