Is Arsene Wenger blind?

Guest toonlass
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just find it funny these days. He's a clever bloke, knows what he's doing.

likewise, laughed when i heard it, and when it cut back to the sky sports studio after showing the interview everyone just chuckled at it.

He's such a great manager, its just a pity he has to spoil it by being such a bitter c*nt the whole time!

Anytime one of his players gets the slightest touch its all moaning and whining and how he should be banned and how his players are always targeted etc. blah blah blah....

But when its the other way round.....well, THEN he suddenly goes temporarily blind until the incident is over, ffs! The man is pathetic.

Guest firetotheworks

He's said it so many times that people know that it basically means he's seen it but wont comment because he's protecting his players. Wengers exactly the type of manager I'd want to play for if I was a footballer.

Guest guinness_fiend

He's said it so many times that people know that it basically means he's seen it but wont comment because he's protecting his players. Wengers exactly the type of manager I'd want to play for if I was a footballer.

Aside from the fact that he lacks the objectivity to see the weaknesses in his own squad and will forever teeter on the "if only..." edge.

No one knows what Wenger says to his players privately, he may tear strips off them in the dressing room just not in front of the cameras. Isnt he just protecting them?

Dalglish was a bit like that and hence was loved by his players.

exactly. And so was Alf Ramsey.

Morale of the story is don't believe everything people say or what papers portray them as saying  ;D

Basic stuff really.

Yep. Slagging off your players in public is the quickest way to lose the dressing-room.... usually followed by your job shortly afterwards. 

Aside from the fact that he lacks the objectivity to see the weaknesses in his own squad and will forever teeter on the "if only..." edge.

Maybe he just refuses to let his teams' and players' weaknesses to be exposed to the rest of the footballing world? :pow:

No one knows what Wenger says to his players privately, he may tear strips off them in the dressing room just not in front of the cameras. Isnt he just protecting them?

Morale of the story is don't believe everything people say or what papers portray them as saying  ;D

Basic stuff really.

Yep. Slagging off your players in public is the quickest way to lose the dressing-room.... usually followed by your job shortly afterwards. 

:kinnear: says : huh?

Basic stuff really.

Debateable. It all depends on what the manager and everyone involved with the club portrays as acceptable and unacceptable.

Basic stuff really.

Debateable. It all depends on what the manager and everyone involved with the club portrays as acceptable and unacceptable.

If you're a manager and your players stop playing for you then you lose your job quite quickly.

Basic stuff really.

so when did you last hear the likes of Ferguson, Wenger etc slagging off players in public and getting a positive response from the rest of the team and the dressing room ?

Golden rule of football. Keep what happens in the dressing room for the dressing room. At least in terms of individual criticism. I think that some people may be confusing the difference between personal criticism and a manager coming out and admitting "the team played badly on the day" here.

Guest The Libertine

Basic stuff really.

so when did you last hear the likes of Ferguson, Wenger etc slagging off players in public and getting a positive response from the rest of the team and the dressing room ?

Golden rule of football. Keep what happens in the dressing room for the dressing room. At least in terms of individual criticism. I think that some people may be confusing the difference between personal criticism and a manager coming out and admitting "the team played badly on the day" here.

wot about souness m8?

Basic stuff really.

wot about souness m8?

what about him ? Is he still alive ?

Guest The Libertine

Basic stuff really.

wot about souness m8?

what about him ? Is he still alive ?

he did the exact opposite of what you just said. he's a geniarse.

Of course 33179 Arsenewenger is gonna say he didn't see it.  He's protecting his players which is a good thing.  Especially on this occasion seeing how it involed Eboue, who isn't exactly the darling of the Arsenal fans right now.

When players start getting criticised in public by their own gaffer/team mates, it only leads to bad things.

The antithesis to Wenger being Souness ie. a manager who was content to belittle/burn his players via the media. Whether that be in the form attribute weakness', a grudge against a player and so forth. The endgame being losing your best players, and those whom those players formed alliances/bonds with in the dressing room.

It's what got us into shit - ie. losing key players Bellamy & Robert, and the manager losing the dressing room - a few seasons back when morale hit rock bottom. I'll never forget Dyer and Bowyer's bust-up, more so because at the time some here - in their defense of the Souness regime - believed that in the wake of Bellamy's departure team morale had hit a something of an upturn.

I know whose psychological approach to man-managing players i prefer.

Basic stuff really.

If you're a manager and your players stop playing for you then you lose your job quite quickly.

Agreed. However, if one of your players clearly does something wrong then you cannot defend the undefendable. For example, if Joey Barton started a fight in Liverpool or wherever, if you were his manager and you were questioned about his actions you could only really give one answer. A tactful one like, but you would have to say he was in the wrong.

That might be a bad example but I'm sure you get the sort of example I mean.

Basic stuff really.

That's the reason Ferguson ditched Keane. :nods: