NUSC - Good or Bad?

indi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

They seem to be all for highlighting the problems of the club, but don't go quite as far fixing them.

unlike people who debate on the internet.

Who don't pretend to be trying to fix the problems

where as NUSC get off thier arses in attempt to make things happen.

In a way which alienates them from alot of fans, show themselves to be a anti-ashley group and fail to provide any solutions to the problems they come up with.

ok you win,... people must never voice thier opinions when they are unhappy.

They seem to be all for highlighting the problems of the club, but don't go quite as far fixing them.

unlike people who debate on the internet.

Who don't pretend to be trying to fix the problems

where as NUSC get off thier arses in attempt to make things happen.

In a way which alienates them from alot of fans, show themselves to be a anti-ashley group and fail to provide any solutions to the problems they come up with.

ok you win,... people must never voice thier opinions when they are unhappy.

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is as a so called Newcastle United Supporters Group they are saying that want to help the club move forward and get better whilst not forgetting about the fans. Fair point and a great idea. They then organise protests to complain at first at the way KK was treated and then at how Ashley runs the club and demanding he leave. Ok say they got what they wanted. Ashley packed his bags, closed his wallet and said bye bye. Then what did they expect to happen ? Did they expect so knight to come riding in take over the club, wipe out the clubs debt throw £100m at the transfer window and watch us fly up the league ? If they did they need to get real.

That is my problem with the "supporters club" they are having meetings talking about the problems they have and how they want certain people out but they don't look at the bigger picture of who will replace these people. Many people at the meeting demand the sacking of Dennis Wise yet aren't able to come up with a reason why. Many say he's bought over the head of the manager. If that's the job he's been given who are they to critise, the board have decided to do it this way and they have paid there money to do that.

Instead the fans should be looking at how to support the club, how we can help the club progress, how we can get a buyer to join Ashley in the board and how the fans can have a say on the running of the club day to day. This is what a supporters group should do in my opinion and this is why the current group are so far wide of the mark of what most fans want.

Many people went to the meeting and made similar points but were ignored in favour of the vigilanty marches which NUSC are still to tell anyone what they are for!

I think a lot of the criticism they get is unfair. They are more important and doing a better job than some people like to admit. In the end they adress and raise a vast number of issues that is shared by the majority of fans - you only have to look at the outcome of polls on here regarding the trust and faith into the ownership and handling of club affairs. So even while a lot of people understandably are not comfortably with the NUSC itself some of their concerns are getting represented.

They certainly didn't have the best start and adressed a lot of issues in a wrong way. Though, that's something that isn't unusual for an ad-hoc pressure group. Especially their unproffesional public appearance and statements. But that's more excusable than what is coming from the club and its well paid professional personnel where the chairman admits wanting to hit a manager and a later manager abuses the press - actual FACTS. A club also running a hopeless (or should it be hopeful?) cringeworthy website and handling press affairs in general worse than a third world dictatorship.

well said. we have to make sure we dont try and hold them up to the same kind of standard we'd hold the club up to, one is a hundred million pound a year business, a professional football club thats been around for over a century and staffed by a legion of salaried workers, one is a small fan's group still finding their feet and ran by volunteers. at the end of the day they're open to new ideas as shown by the broadcast meeting and their form and message is evolving as time moves on, if there's a problem then a volume of dissenting but reasonable opinions will probably be listened to.

A bunch of self important rentaquotes who are more bothered about their own tinpot political aspirations than the genuine welfare of the club.

Such people thrive on the bad times and have a vested interest in highlighting everything bad while denying anything good or progressive. 

One or two journalists (with very dubious NUFC credentials) have latched on to them because they are saying exactly what those journalists want to hear. The truth (and irony) is they seem to have more support amongst "cockney journalists" than they have from Newcastle supporters on Tyneside.

They have been arrogant and rude from the start thereby giving themselves no chance of any meaningful dialogue with those in power.

As a supporter of almost 50 years, when I politely declined one of their leaflets I was told "so you're not a Newcastle fan are you ?" and that just about sums up their narrow minded agenda and bullying tactics.

Fortunately no one other than a few proven anti-NUFC journalists seem to be taking this minority group seriously.

Not at all.

I find it amazing that they think they will get a meeting with Ashley or Llambias while wanting them out and still protesting.

As for them having a list of 6,000, if the other 5,999 are like me then they'll not turn them into members.  I was interested in joining a "Supporters Club" but no matter what they claim, they are from being one.

Agreed, i'd join a proper supporters club but at the moment they are meerly afront for an Ashley out group from what i've read/listened too.

A bunch of self important rentaquotes who are more bothered about their own tinpot political aspirations than the genuine welfare of the club.

Such people thrive on the bad times and have a vested interest in highlighting everything bad while denying anything good or progressive. 

One or two journalists (with very dubious NUFC credentials) have latched on to them because they are saying exactly what those journalists want to hear. The truth (and irony) is they seem to have more support amongst "cockney journalists" than they have from Newcastle supporters on Tyneside.

They have been arrogant and rude from the start thereby giving themselves no chance of any meaningful dialogue with those in power.

As a supporter of almost 50 years, when I politely declined one of their leaflets I was told "so you're not a Newcastle fan are you ?" and that just about sums up their narrow minded agenda and bullying tactics.

Fortunately no one other than a few proven anti-NUFC journalists seem to be taking this minority group seriously.

good, good, now channel that energy, anger and skepticism into something more healthy - such as the way the club is being ran. unless you really do think that slagging off NUSC is a higher priority than looking at the football club itself.

I'm all for having a supporters voice but they went about it the wrong way with there key objective to oust the owner. Far more sensibly they should have opened dialogue, or tried to, in order to establish some facts first.

Unfortunately they are now seen, and likely always will be, as a militant faction. That will create division and they'll be ridiculed for the same reason as the previous 'spokesmen' they so badly wanted to avoid being.

Not at all.

I find it amazing that they think they will get a meeting with Ashley or Llambias while wanting them out and still protesting.

As for them having a list of 6,000, if the other 5,999 are like me then they'll not turn them into members.  I was interested in joining a "Supporters Club" but no matter what they claim, they are from being one.

Agreed, i'd join a proper supporters club but at the moment they are meerly afront for an Ashley out group from what i've read/listened too.

With recent events or lack off, do you not think they are justified in wanting Ashley out?  Looking at the state the club is in I think they are holding the clubs interests at heart by attacking the man that's caused it.

Think most of you have been hooked again by this 5 year plan bollocks, just remember a leopard never changes it's spots.

Not at all.

With recent events or lack off, do you not think they are justified in wanting Ashley out?  Looking at the state the club is in I think they are holding the clubs interests at heart by attacking the man that's caused it.

Think most of you have been hooked again by this 5 year plan bollocks, just remember a leopard never changes it's spots.

Not at all. I want Ashley out but it ain't going to happen so they need to work with not against.

Not at all.

You're missing the point. A supporters group should be there to support. If you want a group set up to be a voice on a particular issue then set up an action group. There's a key difference.

I think it's looking increasingly likely (or even obvious) that the only way forward will be a change in ownership, and any group looking to achieve that is doing the right thing for the club in my eyes.

I don't think NUSC deserve the flak they're getting. I'm glad someone has decided to make a stand and said enough is enough. At the end of the day, you're never going to achieve meaningful dialogue with the club unless you get their attention, and the only way you're going to get their attention quickly is by ruffling a few feathers.

As for Ashley, I fear he is cutting his losses and won't invest any more money in something he sees as a lost cause. Witness the January transfer window for example, where we made a fairly handsome profit while the club was (and still is) flirting with relegation. It just doesn't add up, whatever excuses Llambias comes out with. I think he'd sell up tomorrow if a decent bid came in and until that happens I think we're a club in limbo without any kind of long term direction. We've even offered Joe Kinnear a new contract.

I don't believe there's much at all NUSC can do, but I applaud them for trying.

Not at all.

Not at all. I want Ashley out but it ain't going to happen so they need to work with not against.

Well I think we've learnt that applying a bit of pressure to Ashley can make him stick the club up for sale again.

I have no confidence in him or his team turning it round even if they are on a 10 year plan, the fact remains if you don't invest heavily in this league you will remain amongst the also rans.

Not at all.

As I remember recent events they shouted "Ashley out" then Ashley said "OK I'm getting out" then the world's financial markets collapsed and he couldn't get out.

Right now the REALITY is he's here for the forseeable future, so the best thing for the immediate, short and medium term future of NUFC may be to drop the ridiculous "cockney mafia out" stance and look for pragmatic ways to go forward.

As you say "a leopard never changes it's spots" - so it's highly unlikely this so called NUSC will move away from it's single agenda driven protest.

Not at all.

You're missing the point. A supporters group should be there to support. If you want a group set up to be a voice on a particular issue then set up an action group. There's a key difference.

No you're missing the point, a supporters group is first and formost for the good of the club and not just to be ther just to cheer a bunch of underachieving millionaires every week.

The supporters club is there to give a voice to the fans and to relay any fears or issues the paying public have about the running of the club.

Not at all.

Well I think we've learnt that applying a bit of pressure to Ashley can make him stick the club up for sale again.

I have no confidence in him or his team turning it round even if they are on a 10 year plan, the fact remains if you don't invest heavily in this league you will remain amongst the also rans.

And who will then take over ? What's to say they will run it any different ? Whats the say they will run it better ? Whats to say we don't end up with FS back in charge ?

Not at all.

No you're missing the point, a supporters group is first and formost for the good of the club and not just to be ther just to cheer a bunch of underachieving millionaires every week.

The supporters club is there to give a voice to the fans and to relay any fears or issues the paying public have about the running of the club.

But you can't as a group come up with ideas of getting rid of all the top people at a club without thinking what will happen after, that's the greatest way to destroy this club.

If he puts the club up for sale again and again nobody wants to pay decent cash and we lose the payments from Ashley the club will go under as it cannot support itself. I don't want that.

Guest thenorthumbrian

NUSC are real long term fans who care about the club and are mainly from the city and region.

And they are entitled to point out the failings of the current regime which is slowly strangling the club.

5 year plan ? bollocks.

But you can't as a group come up with ideas of getting rid of all the top people at a club without thinking what will happen after, that's the greatest way to destroy this club.

If he puts the club up for sale again and again nobody wants to pay decent cash and we lose the payments from Ashley the club will go under as it cannot support itself. I don't want that.

good point that like, they were pissing and moaning about him them ignoring the letters they'd sent...i'd imagine MA was taking a "don't negotiate with terrorists" approach

i'd probably do the same if their only aim was to get me out of town with no viable alternative in place

Not at all.

As I remember recent events they shouted "Ashley out" then Ashley said "OK I'm getting out" then the world's financial markets collapsed and he couldn't get out.

Right now the REALITY is he's here for the forseeable future, so the best thing for the immediate, short and medium term future of NUFC may be to drop the ridiculous "cockney mafia out" stance and look for pragmatic ways to go forward.

As you say "a leopard never changes it's spots" - so it's highly unlikely this so called NUSC will move away from it's single agenda driven protest.

Very true! and the only way I see that changing is if Ashley's plans start paying dividends, but if not then he deserves all the flack that's coming his way.

To be honest I don't like Ashley or what he has done to this great club, but if he does start to turn it around and we do see improvement then he'll get my full backing again.

I ain't holding my breath

Not at all.

Very true! and the only way I see that changing is if Ashley's plans start paying dividends, but if not then he deserves all the flack that's coming his way.

To be honest I don't like Ashley or what he has done to this great club, but if he does start to turn it around and we do see improvement then he'll get my full backing again.

Take your pick. - From The Grauniad.

Accounts recently published by Newcastle, for the year to June 2008, show how much more generous Ashley's contribution has been already, with debts paid off and £100m loaned interest free to the club, compared to the millions relentlessly earned from the club by the Halls and Shepherds. When Sir John, the Gateshead shopping-centre magnate, took over Newcastle, he promised that the club would herald north-east regeneration and revive the "Geordie nation". Whatever the outcome of that, the club certainly became hugely profitable for Sir John and his family.

The Halls and Freddy Shepherd, who became a director alongside them, took no salaries for the first few years, then made up for it in 1996: Sir John was paid £836,803, Douglas Hall £793,612 and Shepherd £750,000. The accounts said the payment "recognises the fact that the directors received no remuneration prior to this year".

Shepherd, who staunchly defends his and the Halls' record of achievement at Newcastle, acknowledged that after the club floated on the stockmarket in 1997, they never contributed money for the club to invest. Before that, he said, they had guaranteed loans – documents at the time noted that £3.5m of the club's borrowings were guaranteed by the Halls' company, Cameron Hall, and that Cameron Hall had loaned the club money, at 11% interest.

The latest accounts provide a final reckoning on the Shepherds' and Halls' era because they sold all their shares to Ashley in June 2007 and have also resigned as directors. Altogether, the two families made an extraordinary £145.8m from their years of involvement the Halls made £95.7m, the Shepherds £50.1m, mostly in salaries, dividends and ultimately selling their shares. The Halls had already made £20.35m from selling portions of their shares before Ashley paid £55m for their remaining stake. Shepherd did not want to sell – he had steadily bought more shares – but was effectively forced to – Ashley paid Freddie and Bruce £38m. Shepherd did not receive a pay-off when he resigned as a director in July 2007 but Douglas Hall, paid a £494,655 salary package in 2007 via a Newcastle United company registered in the tax haven of Gibraltar, was entitled to two years' pay in compensation and received an additional £1.17m when he resigned.

The unrest and despondency on Tyneside now make it easy to forget how Ashley's arrival put a smile on local faces, a new owner who watched matches with supporters, drank on the Bigg Market and had £1bn in his pocket, too.  The accounts show that having bought the club for £134m, Ashley paid off borrowings of £43m and cleared the overdraft, lending the club £100m on which he has chosen to waive interest. He has not declared a dividend nor paid himself a salary. In short, he has put a chunk of his considerable fortune on the line, and not taken a penny out.

NUSC are real long term fans who care about the club and are mainly from the city and region.

And they are entitled to point out the failings of the current regime which is slowly strangling the club.

5 year plan ? bollocks.

"Failings of the current regime"  ?? -   From The Grauniad.

Accounts recently published by Newcastle, for the year to June 2008, show how much more generous Ashley's contribution has been already, with debts paid off and £100m loaned interest free to the club, compared to the millions relentlessly earned from the club by the Halls and Shepherds. When Sir John, the Gateshead shopping-centre magnate, took over Newcastle, he promised that the club would herald north-east regeneration and revive the "Geordie nation". Whatever the outcome of that, the club certainly became hugely profitable for Sir John and his family.

The Halls and Freddy Shepherd, who became a director alongside them, took no salaries for the first few years, then made up for it in 1996: Sir John was paid £836,803, Douglas Hall £793,612 and Shepherd £750,000. The accounts said the payment "recognises the fact that the directors received no remuneration prior to this year".

Shepherd, who staunchly defends his and the Halls' record of achievement at Newcastle, acknowledged that after the club floated on the stockmarket in 1997, they never contributed money for the club to invest. Before that, he said, they had guaranteed loans – documents at the time noted that £3.5m of the club's borrowings were guaranteed by the Halls' company, Cameron Hall, and that Cameron Hall had loaned the club money, at 11% interest.

The latest accounts provide a final reckoning on the Shepherds' and Halls' era because they sold all their shares to Ashley in June 2007 and have also resigned as directors. Altogether, the two families made an extraordinary £145.8m from their years of involvement – the Halls made £95.7m, the Shepherds £50.1m, mostly in salaries, dividends and ultimately selling their shares. The Halls had already made £20.35m from selling portions of their shares before Ashley paid £55m for their remaining stake. Shepherd did not want to sell – he had steadily bought more shares – but was effectively forced to – Ashley paid Freddie and Bruce £38m. Shepherd did not receive a pay-off when he resigned as a director in July 2007 but Douglas Hall, paid a £494,655 salary package in 2007 via a Newcastle United company registered in the tax haven of Gibraltar, was entitled to two years' pay in compensation and received an additional £1.17m when he resigned.

The unrest and despondency on Tyneside now make it easy to forget how Ashley's arrival put a smile on local faces, a new owner who watched matches with supporters, drank on the Bigg Market and had £1bn in his pocket, too.  The accounts show that having bought the club for £134m, Ashley paid off borrowings of £43m and cleared the overdraft, lending the club £100m on which he has chosen to waive interest. He has not declared a dividend nor paid himself a salary. In short, he has put a chunk of his considerable fortune on the line, and not taken a penny out.[/b]

Not at all.

Take your pick. - From The Grauniad.

The latest accounts provide a final reckoning on the Shepherds' and Halls' era because they sold all their shares to Ashley in June 2007 and have also resigned as directors. Altogether, the two families made an extraordinary £145.8m from their years of involvement the Halls made £95.7m, the Shepherds £50.1m, mostly in salaries, dividends and ultimately selling their shares. The Halls had already made £20.35m from selling portions of their shares before Ashley paid £55m for their remaining stake. Shepherd did not want to sell – he had steadily bought more shares – but was effectively forced to – Ashley paid Freddie and Bruce £38m. Shepherd did not receive a pay-off when he resigned as a director in July 2007 but Douglas Hall, paid a £494,655 salary package in 2007 via a Newcastle United company registered in the tax haven of Gibraltar, was entitled to two years' pay in compensation and received an additional £1.17m when he resigned.

The unrest and despondency on Tyneside now make it easy to forget how Ashley's arrival put a smile on local faces, a new owner who watched matches with supporters, drank on the Bigg Market and had £1bn in his pocket, too.  The accounts show that having bought the club for £134m, Ashley paid off borrowings of £43m and cleared the overdraft, lending the club £100m on which he has chosen to waive interest. He has not declared a dividend nor paid himself a salary. In short, he has put a chunk of his considerable fortune on the line, and not taken a penny out.

guardians no use; it needs putting in suitably shitkicker thick tabloid headlines for the fuckwits to take it in

i was going to spoof it but simply don't have the ability to put the situation into as simple terms some people need to get it through their heads

maybe MA/DL should devise their own banner as part of the communication with fans improvements, what could it be?  maybe

"-30m is not a profit" in 6 foot high letters, that'd be a start

5 year plan ? bollocks.

Of course they are, any fan is allowed to have a go at anyone within the current regime or anything to do with the club in fact. My problem is when these people then start trying to make decisions for the rest of the fans including removal of the only funds the club currently has to keep it alive.

As for "5 year plan? bollocks" I prefer a club to have some sort of plan in place and follow that plan as closely they can then approach every season with a wing and a pray. I'm not saying everything they are doing is right far from it, but a plan is important and something the club has never had.