Time to bring in Sven...

Guest SeattleToon

We are teetering on the brink here. Svens reputation in this country is already at rock bottom. Do you think he would be willing to completely knacker himself by trying to do the impossible, probably on a tight budget too?

Sven would get a hell of a lot more out of this team, and he's a good manager.  He knows how to use tactics to win games, and when you think of the games, which are minimal, that he did lose for England, they weren't exactly against teams that we've been losing to recently.  Some of the best teams in the world, christ sake.

His record for England in competitive matches was...

Played - 38

Won - 26

Drew - 9

Lost - 3

two of those were against Portugal and one against Brazil iirc.

Lost to France and Northern Ireland as well.

I'm just going off the FA's website, don't shoot the messenger!

portugal matches probably go down as draws. it is a good record but most those games are against the routine opposition we should expect to beat. so sven's done the bare minimum. the difference between an ok and a good international manager is that the ok one can beat the routine opponents while the good manager can get his players to perform in the crucial 3 or 4 games a manager might face in his tenure. the difference between a sven or a scolari, for instance, the latter might not win anything but they push their players to their limits. unlike in club footy there are few or no prizes (uefa, ucl, extra money for transfers etc) for finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th, so ultimately you have to say sven's legacy is one of failure. trying to translate his england record into a club football one, we'd probably beat the likes of bolton, blackburn, wigan handidly which would put us up there able to challenge for the top four. so good enough for us especially when you couple this with a few of other benefits he'd bring (fresh ideas, ability to use a big budget, knowledge of english football).

I think atm we need Big Sam, We need somebody who'll change everything and start off doing the basics first. Big Sam would get all our players fit and organise the team so they know what they are doing, It wouldnt be pretty but it would work. Big Sam has done wonders with the small budget he has had and he does know a bargin when he sees one. I very much doubt he'd come here now anyway.

Sven is a decent club manager but i cant see him being the man to lead us out of the shit we are in.

Sven is good at some things, Newcastle United though would destroy his mind within a week. Wouldn't work and would be a costly and frustrating mistake, perhaps the last act in this circus. Swedes I have come to realise aren't good at anything. Thier minds are akin to thier Nordic bretheren the Germans, but without the willpower and occassional dark flair. What you have left is a lot of boring cold calculation and vacuous unresponsive blue eyes. blueyes.gif bluewink.gif

we always beat England in fotball so we are good at that. ;)

Guest SeattleToon

OzzieMandias mirrors my thoughts pretty well.

England supporters may not think so because their expectations are so high, but SGE actually was a pretty good manager for England. After all he got them to the quarterfinals of all three major tournaments he managed, something I don't think any other England manager has ever accomplished, and in each of the last two was eliminated on penalties.

And do not forget that as manager of Lazio he won the scudetto for them for the first time in over 25 years and broke the hegemony of Milan and Juventus.

He is the perfect candidate? No. But he's the best candidate out there who might take the job right now and a heck of a lot better than Roeder.

It is getting on my last nerves some of the comments I am hearing people who have doubts about Sven must be crazy. People are happy about Roader simply beacuse he knows the club his success as a manger NON. Yet people are happy just beause he knows Newcastle. It is just shame until we change this mentality we won't go forward.

I have doubts about Sven as Newcastle manager yes, because it is a special situation and one that I don't beleive he would thrive at.

People have to realise that when he won the title with Lazio they spent €100m plus that season, back then it was a hell of a lot of cash and actually nearly drove the club to the wall.

We don't have that kind of money and he is only an average man manager and under pressure he has failed as we have witnessed for England.

Sven is good at some things, Newcastle United though would destroy his mind within a week. Wouldn't work and would be a costly and frustrating mistake, perhaps the last act in this circus. Swedes I have come to realise aren't good at anything. Thier minds are akin to thier Nordic bretheren the Germans, but without the willpower and occassional dark flair. What you have left is a lot of boring cold calculation and vacuous unresponsive blue eyes. blueyes.gif bluewink.gif

What a load of utter bilge.

He is an embarrisment this club gets enough bad press without a manager like him being here. He sits his arse on the seat and lets them get on with it, never makes an attacking substitution its always like for like and YES I remember some England players going on about how they worked on their own fitness coz Sven's training was shite.

At Roma and Samp he only won the Coppa Italia and it is a competition not really rated in Italy for various reasons as top Italian sides focus mainly on Europe as they do here.

He won the league at Benfica iirc twice, but they win the league almost every other year with or without him in a 3 team league.

Winning the Uefa cup with Goteborg mind isn't something to be sniffed at as they are relatively a small club.

His big success was winning SerieA at Lazio in a very strong league in a very strong year, but as I said he did have huge transfer funds at his disposal.

Imo he doesn't have the man management skills for the situation we are in. Although I agree at any other time he would be a good candidate. Just not now.

Sven is the perfect solution for us at the moment. He would definately organize us and he is a man that can make a team work together. Heopefully he could also see over our traingingmetods, facilities and physios. Theres something terribly wrong there...

Unfortunately your wrong. Sven is a ditherer under pressure and isn't a hands on coach. His training methods and fitness regimes have a lot to be desired if feedback from England players is anything to go by. His inability to drop Beckham says it all.

Anyway science has proved beyond doubt that Swedes aren't good at anything. bluewink.gif

Whilst I agree he is overrated, the way you're running him down is way over the top also.  He's not that bad a manager, nothing he's done suggests that.  He would establish us in the top half, and build from there.  I'm under no illusions, I don't think he's an O'Neill, or on par with Rafa, Wenger and co, but his reputation in Europe and undoubted knowledge of the English game would give us a boost we've not had since Robson arrived.

Whilst I agree he is overrated, the way you're running him down is way over the top also.  He's not that bad a manager, nothing he's done suggests that.  He would establish us in the top half, and build from there.  I'm under no illusions, I don't think he's an O'Neill, or on par with Rafa, Wenger and co, but his reputation in Europe and undoubted knowledge of the English game would give us a boost we've not had since Robson arrived.

Would rather Houllier and Keegan tbh

Would rather Houllier and Keegan tbh

Well, that's fair enough, but that doesn't make Sven a shite manager.