***The Footballing "Why the hell"....Thread***

Heron

....I'll start with this one;

Why the hell do players find it necessary to put a ball just before the penalty spot or just outside of the designated spot for corners or goal kicks. I have just seen Van Persie do it and it only added to his pressure - despite him scoring the penalty in the end.

I really don't know why the hell players do it though.

Add your "Why the hell"s too....

Guest firetotheworks

Why the hell do goalkeepers persist with hoofing it up field when the striker is either tiny or doesn't ever win a header?

Why the hell do players find it necessary to put a ball just before the penalty spot or just outside of the designated spot for corners or goal kicks. I have just seen Van Persie do it and it only added to his pressure - despite him scoring the penalty in the end.

How? And how do you know?

Why do players wave imaginary card signs?

That's actually one that doesn't bother me. There's times where it's a clear yellow card and the referee doesn't book a player for a dodgy tackle, so I've got no problems whatsoever with a player doing that and asking why he's not being booked. When a player dives and does that, then aye, that's bad.

Why aren't you, as an attacker, allowed to touch the goalkeeper?

If a player has gone down under a tackle, the ball has run free, and the referee deems there to have been no contact in the tackle... why doesn't he book the player for diving? I mean - if he thought there had been contact then he would have blown for the foul, but i mean half the time, they just shout at the player to get up. It's kinda difficult to explain - i'm not just on about instances where the tackler has got the ball, you do see players feigning some sort of foul in an attempt to get a free-kick. Pisses me off more than anything that the ref doesn't atleast reprimand them.

Because the ref made him move it after he had stepped up to take it.

Because the ref made him move it after he had stepped up to take it.

Ahh fair enough :)

Guest optimistic nit

Why aren't you, as an attacker, allowed to touch the goalkeeper?

If a player has gone down under a tackle, the ball has run free, and the referee deems there to have been no contact in the tackle... why doesn't he book the player for diving? I mean - if he thought there had been contact then he would have blown for the foul, but i mean half the time, they just shout at the player to get up. It's kinda difficult to explain - i'm not just on about instances where the tackler has got the ball, you do see players feigning some sort of foul in an attempt to get a free-kick. Pisses me off more than anything that the ref doesn't atleast reprimand them.

you can fall even if there is not contact and it not be a dive though. if the guy then complains that it should have been a foul then book him.

Guest Stephen927

Why the hell do the majority of professional footballers have an inability to think about using both feet? (see Eboue tonight)

Or Adriano. Had a golden opportunity tonight with the ball at his feet just outside the box, all he needed to do was take a touch with his right and have a dig, O'Shea was on the deck, a golden opportunity you would think...

Instead he took a touch with his left, it bounced off O'Shea and Man United were back in possession... pathetic.

Why do referee's, when blowing for half/full time, have to wait until the goalkeepers just took a goal kick or free kick before blowing as soon as the balls in the air.

I mean, there's obviously no time to score so why make them take the kick? Why not just blow before?

I know not a major issue, it's just something that's pissed me off for years.

Guest neesy111

why do linesman always look at the referee before deciding which team the throw in is for despite the linemans being at most 10 yards away from the ball

Guest Stephen927

Why do referee's, when blowing for half/full time, have to wait until the goalkeepers just took a goal kick or free kick before blowing as soon as the balls in the air.

I mean, there's obviously no time to score so why make them take the kick? Why not just blow before?

I know not a major issue, it's just something that's pissed me off for years.

I always thought they had to blow for full time/half time when the ball was in a neutral position, or in a position where theres no chance either side could score immediately.

Was surprised the full time whistle was blown last night just after Ronaldo's last free kick had been saved, I would have guessed they would have played on until it had been cleared.