The Typical Man United Fan

Heron

Today I watched both games in the student union. There was more people in for Tottenham vs Man United than there were for the first game...which is kind of understandable and I was quite looking forward to a decent afternoon of football.

Newcastle played, and lost, in an absolutely s**** match, making the mood of my mates and I a rather depressed subdued one.

Then the Carling Cup, as expected a lot of Man United shirts popped up all of a sudden and the odd spurs one.

However, as interesting as the game was and as annoying as seeing them win yet another trophy was, what actually really put the icing on the cake for an irritable afternoon of football was a Man United fan sat just near me.

The chap in particular was delighted his team won the cup, which is understandable yet again...but after sitting there silent for the whole game he decided he would start singing "Can you hear the cockneys sing?" in a rather distinctive accent.

A Man United fan (with no team colours on), from London (therefore being a cockney), who was silent all game, singing "can you hear the cockneys sing?", what an absolute f***ing knob.

As much as it is nice that it stops a similar club to our own (Tottenham) from being able to gloat, it makes you sick when a "proper" fan is sitting there gutted, and some t*** who supports them just to be fashionable is gloating.

Anyways, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Lad in our flat is a Man U fan, didn't even know a) the Carling Cup Final was today, or b) they were in it.

It's rediculous like. On the other hand there was a fit lass sat there with a spurs shirt on and she kept quietly singing Tottenham songs and then looking around for attention, which I also found irritating...because it was like she was only interested in it to make herself more popular. Or maybe I was just suffering from the pre-Carling Cup Final misery....

Guest firetotheworks

My old flatmate supports Man United. Reckons she's not a glory hunter because 'I would only watch them when I was younger'...fuck off. Lives in Howdon....fuck off. Never been to Old Trafford...fuck off. Argues that she supports Man United just as much as Newcastle fans support Newcastle....fuck off. I know more about Man United than her.

Guest firetotheworks

Lad in our flat is a Man U fan, didn't even know a) the Carling Cup Final was today, or b) they were in it.

It's rediculous like. On the other hand there was a fit lass sat there with a spurs shirt on and she kept quietly singing Tottenham songs and then looking around for attention, which I also found irritating...because it was like she was only interested in it to make herself more popular. Or maybe I was just suffering from the pre-Carling Cup Final misery....

You should have went up to her afterwards and asked to feel her pain.

My old flatmate supports Man United. Reckons she's not a glory hunter because 'I would only watch them when I was younger'...f*** off. Lives in Howdon....f*** off. Never been to Old Trafford...f*** off. Argues that she supports Man United just as much as Newcastle fans support Newcastle....f*** off. I know more about Man United than her.

That's the bit that winds me up as well, they seem to think they know more when a large percentage of them are clueless. I guess any fanbase has got its collection of mongs, though.

The lad I mentioned for example has come out with statements such as "Tevez is useless" (best forward imo in terms of overall contribution to the team), "it's a known fact our biggest rivalry is against Chelsea" (that's a new one to me), and generally just not having a clue about them.

My best mate claims to be a massive fan and again, had forgotten it was the Carling Cup final today and again, claims not to be a glory supporter. (This is my mate, a thorough-bred Yorkshireman who's been to Old Trafford once... not a glory supporter...)

Guest firetotheworks

My old flatmate supports Man United. Reckons she's not a glory hunter because 'I would only watch them when I was younger'...f*** off. Lives in Howdon....f*** off. Never been to Old Trafford...f*** off. Argues that she supports Man United just as much as Newcastle fans support Newcastle....f*** off. I know more about Man United than her.

That's the bit that winds me up as well, they seem to think they know more when a large percentage of them are clueless. I guess any fanbase has got its collection of mongs, though.

The lad I mentioned for example has come out with statements such as "Tevez is useless" (best forward imo in terms of overall contribution to the team), "it's a known fact our biggest rivalry is against Chelsea" (that's a new one to me), and generally just not having a clue about them.

Aye my favourite was 'Keanes was just amazing, if it wasn't for him we wouldnt have won in the 99 final.'.......Aye, if it wasnt for him not playing David May would have never been the linchpin in the midfield that night.

You should have went up to her afterwards and asked to feel her pain.

Would have been tempting if I were single...

Guest quklaani

Technically cockneys are only from the east end...although, that just makes the song inaccurate.

I should probably keep out of this thread, although I will say I went to Uni away from home and met an awful lot of people whose parents are "from Manchester."  Funny that.

Guest Heneage

Its no surprise, every sport has these fans, two lads at our six aside die hard fans, know the players names know the games not from Manchester and have no viable links there Dads a Rangers fan. Its daft but what can you do.

Guest firetotheworks

I supported Spurs for 2 weeks when I was a kid because I liked their strip and thought they were called Holston. Its a daft reason, but at least it had nothing to do with winning. If my dad hadn't found out when he saw that I had Lineker, Gazza and Mabbutt figurines then I may have become everything I hate. Cheers Dad.

This is just silly. I know there are plenty of die hards out there, my brother being one of them. I'm also sure there are tons of NUFC fans that don't know about the club as much as you lot do.

The reason Man Utd have a lot of supporters is because they win a lot and get a lot of exposure. If someone's getting into football for the first time, there's a much bigger chance of them seeing Man Utd play than seeing Newcastle.

Just support who you want and don't hate because they win so much.

If I asked you who your favorite Primer club was you'd most likely say Valenca, Real, or Barca. How many Celta Vigo supporters are on here, or how many Chievo Verona (Seria A/B?) fans are on this board?

A load of my mates are Man Utd 'fans'. I was talking to a few of them about the game and got the answer of "I dont really care about it,anyway. I doubt I'll bother watching it." Sickening, like. And then of course Im there thinking to myself "What I would do to be in your shoes now."

They have it so easy.

As firetotheworks said, I'd probably know more about Man Utds history than they do. Pricks.

I am not looking forward to another shitty monday morning.  :-[

This is just silly. I know there are plenty of die hards out there, my brother being one of them. I'm also sure there are tons of NUFC fans that don't know about the club as much as you lot do.

The reason Man Utd have a lot of supporters is because they win a lot and get a lot of exposure. If someone's getting into football for the first time, there's a much bigger chance of them seeing Man Utd play than seeing Newcastle.

If I asked you who your favorite Primer club was you'd most likely say Valenca, Real, or Barca. How many Celta Vigo supporters are on here, or how many Chievo Verona (Seria A/B?) fans are on this board?

My favorite Italian side is Parma and in La Liga I support Deportivo/Betis/Villarreal. Seriously.

Guest firetotheworks

Theres a difference between who your favourite is, and who you support. Barca are my favourite La Liga team, because theyre class. I dont support them though.

You support either the team where you live, or who your family does is the way I see it. Its not like its politics and you're having a way of life upon you, every team has the same policy: Win.