U23s & Academy

Skirge

29 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Honestly, the whole club stinks from top to bottom

Didn't do Shearer and Gillespie any harm like lads.  A divint knaa man.

Edited by Slim

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

That’s not juniors trying to make a career and trying to give the right impression. 

Boys will be boy lad. It allll teacups in a storm waater ye kna.

Didn't dee Nice Ranger any harm either.

Edited by Slim

Just now, ManDoon said:

I don’t know if this is a shot at us or u23 football in general, but if it’s the latter I agree. Personally I would have a B team, playing actual games, academy football is pointless imo 

I won’t name names but my boy was at SAFC academy, currently at Boro and is wanted by NUFC and I guarantee all the coaches at that level think they need to be playing proper football at league level, whatever the level, as academy games are shit basically and played half arsed and mostly about one or two maybe top players at whatever club being supported by a back up team of shit players who would be better off actually getting game time again regardless of the level, that’s why so may just drop out/dissapear apparently.

I must clarify I mean players 18 and over and even some think some of the under 18s need proper league football. As for the other academy football I know NUFC under 7s/8s/9/ regularly play cannon fodder team to win because it pleases the parents to see their kid score 5 against a team even someone whose never played would smash it against such opposition. It’s terrible all round IMO and especially at NUFC.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Completely agree, from my experience it is honestly like watching a different sport. It’s all very nice technically, but there is no intensity basically at all. Going to watch say league 2 or even like NL, after watching academy football is so jarring. It’s twice as quick, ten times more physical. I think Brentford have a B team and they’ve done okay. 

Aye mate you can’t beat playing football competitively whatever the level, academy stuff regardless is not competitive and look at Armstrong and Toney what playing regular competitive football whatever the level has done for their game. 

I’ve seen my son play for SAFC against say a shit team from Whitley Bay and absolutely batter them and then they will play say Liverpool under 8s and it’s pre organised to make sure whoever is the ‘best’ kid in either team to shine and the rest are making up numbers so you get one or two kids standing out and the rest looking shite. Then they get released and get replaced by more let’s make up the numbers players. 

Edited by HTT II

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah I think after 16 these players need to be playing in actual games, they will learn a lot more playing Blyth than any u23 team. Pep even said as much recently didn’t he when they played against Akinfenwa 

Definitely mate I know tonnes of former NUFC ex academy players who are playing lower leagues/non leagues and they said it’s helped their game more then when they were at a so called PL academy/team/set up. These under 23 games, under 21 games etc are glorified games to make the one kid deemed the next star stand out or give game time to a group of players their clubs know will never make it, but on the off chance one might and that’s what it’s about mostly, even at under 7, 8, 9 level etc. it’s a disgrace really, especially at 7, 8, 9 year old level.

Edited by HTT II

Boro development pretty decent, but I’d rather my boy not sign for an academy right now because he wouldn’t be allowed to play football with anyone else or anywhere else even at school. Academy football at my boy’s age kind of staged, loads of games against teams shitty local teams and when it come to playing another pro academy, it’s kind of fixed. I shouldn’t say this but NUFC under 7s were battered by Doncaster Rovers under 7s a few months back and they play top tier teams in their region not  cannon fodder teams like we do, and our under 7 NUFC team has some serious talent.

Edited by HTT II

im surprised they start at u7's, that's shocking. my lad was at NUFC 8 years ago and they started academy football at u9's which i thinks still way too young. Personally i don't think kids should be at academies till at least u15's.

30 minutes ago, sh74 said:

im surprised they start at u7's, that's shocking. my lad was at NUFC 8 years ago and they started academy football at u9's which i thinks still way too young. Personally i don't think kids should be at academies till at least u15's.

Agreed fully mate it’s shit for the kids!

• 2 weeks later...