U23s & Academy

Skirge

It's worth remembering that for as much the owners have lofty ambitions we do have some distance to go to reach that point.

There'll be a period in between in which we will need reliable home grown players to meet squad quotas. I'm assuming this two-year deal is with a view to him going up to the Championship next year. If he succeeds there we can reassess, extend further, and integrate him. If that isn't the case and he looks close to his ceiling then we can look to move him on and make some money from it. 

4 minutes ago, Dandy Don said:

0-6....ffs

To be fair all the best players (including Anderson and White who have just left) are on loan at football league clubs, which is a better option than playing for the U23s.. The overall standard of the academy will improve greatly in the years to come.

Lad who scored the winner has been sent off for a 2nd yellow, assume it was for the celebration. :lol: 3-1 to 3-4 away from home v 2nd placed Norwich, impressive. September 2016 all over again.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

I know a lot of people talk about the need to upgrade academy facilities (which tbf are ok) but I think we also need to overhaul the entire academy structure, and put people in the job who have experience of developing players from a young age, bringing them through the age groups and competing for the first team and i think thats more important to get right first before we start building a new academy. 

I think they key people at the academy are;

Steve Harper - Academy Manager - has overall responsibility for the NUFC academy

Neil Winskill - Head of Coaching Development (Ex academy player, Been at NUFC for at least 10 years as a coach, previously U15 lead coach then U18 Manager) - presumably has responsibility for development of all academy coaches, presumably reports directly to Steve Harper

Mark Atkinson - Head of Player Development (previously at Sunderland, joined in 2019) - presumably responsible for player development, and presumably reports directly to Steve Harper too.

Elliot Dickman - U23 Manager

Kevin Richardson - U23 Assistant Manager (been at NUFC at least 10 years, previously U18 Assistant Coach under Dave Watson)

Peter Ramage - U18 Manager

Ian Bogie - U18 Assistant Manager (Been at NUFC a while, was previously coach with the U14/U15, then Lead Coach of U15/U16 before becoming U18 Assistant)

Shola Ameobi - Loan Manager

• 3 weeks later...