U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

haha sorry went to IKEA after the game for a Hotdog and to hand some old books in for a £5 voucher that was then used to buy a little cactus mix for my spiffy pad!

Anyway...

Toon Youth 0 - 0 Barnsley Youth

----------------Alnwick------------------

Nzuzi--Grieve--J.Henderson--Folan

--------------L.Henderson-------------

-----Newton-------McDermott--------

Spear---------------------------Ameobi

---------------D.Taylor-------------------

It was a pretty boring game, with Newcastle's only real chances coming from a set piece that saw Ameobi hit the cross bar, with the resulting rebound efforting hitting the crossbar as well. Newcastle had a goal disallowed for offside when Ameobi, for some reason, decide to pass it to Conor Newton for a tap in, even though Ameobi was on the 6 yard box and could have had a shot for himself.

I think the lack of teamwork probably comes from it being an unfamiliar looking line up, with the Irish lads away on International Duty, Tavenier injured (foot) and Haris Vuckic also away on international duty (and also a firm part of the senior football). It saw Patrick Nzuzi, last seen as a striker, playing Right Back, Stephen Folan playing Left Back, Dan Taylor up front, and Liam Henderson having a rare start in midfield.

Nzuzi did well at Right Back, looked strong and quick, though clearly not a defender by trade. If he could learn the role, he might be a decent full back, but I'll reserve judgement for now. Perhaps it was the unfamiliar roll that reduced the amount of time he got forward, or simply put I'm too use to Tav or Airey being right back and bombing down the right wing, but Nzuzi rarely joined Newton on the right wing for support.

Folan looked comfortable at Left Back, and I'm starting to think he'd look comfortable playing in goal if you asked him to, he just got on with it. However, I was less impressed with Liam Henderson, though feel I'm being too harsh on the young lad in his first outing in midfield against a very physical opposition - not the easiest of games to gain confidence in. It wasn't that he was bad, but for the most part you'd forget he was on the pitch as he very rarely got on the ball or got stuck in (aka Jermaine Jenas syndrome).

Dan Taylor as the 'muscle' up front  did well as a holding targetman, but seems to lack the workrate and fitness at the moment to pull through a full game. Though, again, he's only young and shouldn't be rated against such things yet. Aaron Spear played on the flanks throughout the game, and seemed to be getting increasingly annoyed with Sammy Ameobi's lazy style of play and for not passing the ball.

Barnsley were a very physical bunch, probably the most aggressive and physical team I've seen so far this year, and the ref produced a number of yellow cards due to constant fouling and bad language aimed at the ref.

The second half was pretty much the same as the 1st half, though Barnsley had more chances. Alnwick pulled off some comfortable saves to keep it level, before taking a knock from a corner after colliding with his own defender - Alnwick seems to have a tendency for rushing out to claim any cross even if he has to travel 8 yards to get it. The collision kept him down for about 5 minutes, but he continued on afterwards noticeably favouring his right hip area.

Overall I think Newcastle lacked the drive and width that Airey/Tavenier provide with the overlapping runs and... wait for it... Sammy Adjei's pace. Even without any end product Adjei's pace puts the defense on the backfoot, and he does drive forward. Aaron Spear is the type of player who likes the ball to his feet and he'll play from deep, which allows the defense time to reorganise compared to Adjei's ability and desire to burn behind the back line on to any loose balls.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Obi of the team today how many were missing that would have started.

Regulars missing:

Inman

Tavernier/Airey

Adjei

McLoughlin

Ferguson

Dummett

EDIT:

2nd half sub saw Ryan McGorrigan come on for Dan Taylor with Aaron Spear as the focal point of attack. McGorrigan didn't get up to much in the 10 minutes he had, but he does look to have a lot of pace in him, so be interesting to see him on the flanks over the next few months.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Erm, who is ''Hoganson''?

Michael Hoganson, defender.

Aye, local lad, came through the ranks, think he's only 15 so he's too young for any attention on here, not sure he's a defender though, unless he's turned from being a striker to defender now he's in the U18s. Guess we'll wait and see!

Reserves getting beat 4-2 off Rotherham tonight,  we went one nil up when Spear scored on his debut,  then went 4-1 down before Baheng scored a late consolation.  Really inexperienced young side out for us,  no Lua lua or Danquah to go with the likes of MOrris, the 3 northern irish lads, Donaldson, Inman and Vukcic while Kadar pulled out late and didn't travel due to illness.

Guest trig111

Thought Samuel Adej played well but the rest struggled. Spear did ok ish a few nice touches but like the rest struggled to make an impact (his goal aside)

Guest trig111

Looks short & maybe a little plump (hard to say , first time i have seen him tbh). Played the left wing & like i said apart from a few nice passes he was not to involved) , tho the young centre midfielders were over run tbh

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Thought Samuel Adej played well but the rest struggled. Spear did ok ish a few nice touches but like the rest struggled to make an impact (his goal aside)

Does Spear still look plump/carring puppy fat or has he grown up now?

Still looks short and squat.

Does Spear still look plump/carring puppy fat or has he grown up now?

Still looks short and squat.

He looks a bit like Tevez, physique-wise.