U23s & Academy

Skirge

haha chris bit early to think about the final, we'll have to be on top form to beat West Ham.....but if we do i'd fancy us in the quarters at SJP with Vukcic hopefully back to get into the semi final.  Last year the semis and final were on Setanta but don't think they're on tv this year.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hmm...

wonder if the shitty snow will cause the youth game to be canceled.

The snow is back - on North Tyneside at least - meaning that Newcastle's scheduled academy home fixture with Leeds United this morning has been postponed.

Fucking snow!

Named a very young squad for it as well:

Goalkeepers: Ole Soderberg, Max Johnson.

Defenders: Matthew Grieve, Darren Lough, Ben Tozer, James Taylor, Dan Leadbitter.

Midfielders: Ryan Donaldson, Shane Ferguson, Jonny Godsmark, Liam Henderson, Kazenga LuaLua, Michael McCrudden, Patrick McLaughlin, Ryan Page.

Forwards: Dan Taylor, Frank Danquah, Aaron Spear.

Named a very young squad for it as well:

Goalkeepers: Ole Soderberg, Max Johnson.

Defenders: Matthew Grieve, Darren Lough, Ben Tozer, James Taylor, Dan Leadbitter.

Midfielders: Ryan Donaldson, Shane Ferguson, Jonny Godsmark, Liam Henderson, Kazenga LuaLua, Michael McCrudden, Patrick McLaughlin, Ryan Page.

Forwards: Dan Taylor, Frank Danquah, Aaron Spear.

Actually Rich thats not that young, pretty standard reserve line up,  mostly between 18 and 20 i think.   I think Spear, Henderson, Taylor, PAge and Leadbitter will be in the youth team squad the following night and then they'll be on the bench.

The key players for the youth team are Alnwick, Tav, Inman and Airey.  Then you've got the likes of Dummett, Newton, McDermott.

Looking at that squad you forget how many players we have under the first team.  Missing off that list is also the likes of Baheng, Vukcic and Forster.

spoilt for choice when it comes to keepers!!  i haven't been too impressed with Johnson and Robinson(think thats his name),  if Jak Alnwick gets a growth spurt we could have another excellent keeper on our hands as well.

Saw a picture of Soderberg in mp & he has really grown. We really do have a good depth of GK's at club.

the new leicester (showing me agae)

We have a lot potential in Krul, Forster, Soderberg & Alnwick. Would be nice if they were half as good as 2 of the greatest goalkeepers ever.

Paul Lambert about week ago talking about FF:

"When you consider Fraser is only 21 it was an extraordinary performance," said Lambert.

"Some of the saves he made were world class and it got to the stage when you just thought he's never going to get beaten.

"At his age he is one of the best goalkeepers I have seen. I don't know who England have got at under-21 level at the moment but I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending him."

http://www.givemefootball.com/league-one/forster-is-england-u21-class---lambert-

Forster has improved so much in the last 18 months its unreal,  always been a good shot stopper and now looks like he's hopefully  sorted out his kicking which he seem to have done.  I honestly thought he was finished in the Northumberland senior cup final against Blyth a few seasons ago,  had an absolute mare, was getting horrendous stick off the Blyth fans behind his goal, it got so bad that he was taking goals kicks and barely kicking the ball 30 yards.  He was eventually subbed at half time and replaced by Krul. 

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I don't rate Ben Robinson that highly at the moment, though he does come from Liverpool/Man U youth system so he might have 'something'. I know he's only young, but he's making some really basic errors constantly. There was a period before Christmas where he conceded one clanger a game - often rushing out into silly positions and missing the ball completely.

His kicking is really poor too, and he seems to always to arguing with his defenders.

Max Johnson seems ok and solid enough for youth level, and seems to have some good reflexes.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm sure there's some sort of insult in that question  ;D but if you really want to know I work for the NHS!  :frantic:

I don't rate Ben Robinson that highly at the moment, though he does come from Liverpool/Man U youth system so he might have 'something'. I know he's only young, but he's making some really basic errors constantly. There was a period before Christmas where he conceded one clanger a game - often rushing out into silly positions and missing the ball completely.

His kicking is really poor too, and he seems to always to arguing with his defenders.

Max Johnson seems ok and solid enough for youth level, and seems to have some good reflexes.

If Robinson had something about him he wouldn't be in our academy tbh.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Well yeah, there's that as well, which is why I had something in the quotation marks.

On a total side note, I saw Stephen Folan in Forest Hall today  ;D Was going to stop and interrogate him for some FM info, but he was on his mobile.

James Marwood has followed new manager Adam Sadler to Team Northumbria in the Northern League.

Blyth Spartans have signed x-Newcastle United reserve striker Guy Bates. Mark Doninger will be making a trial appearance  for Burton tonight.

Guest Heneage

James Marwood has followed new manager Adam Sadler to Team Northumbria in the Northern League.

Blyth Spartans have signed x-Newcastle United reserve striker Guy Bates. Mark Doninger will be making a trial appearance  for Burton tonight.

He's got a lot of time for Sadler. Cites him as his favourite coach.

As he has worked with him at NUFC, Blyth & now the Uni team...you would like to think so. BUT he needs to the ask the question has  Sadler been good for him as he slides further down the football pyramid.

The real BIG question is which freebie gear will he wear for training? Old NUFC clobber, Nike gear or the current Man City training stuff.

Guest Heneage

As he has worked with him at NUFC, Blyth & now the Uni team...you would like to think so. BUT he needs to the ask the question has  Sadler been good for him as he slides further down the football pyramid.

The real BIG question is which freebie gear will he wear for training? Old NUFC clobber, Nike gear or the current Man City training stuff.

:lol:

He likes Sadler and must trust him. I don't think the lad's really motivated by football. As for the clobber, couldn't say.

We must have had some serious dross in our academy this last decade. From what i can gather, the vast majority don't even make it into the lower English leagues. For a city with such a massive footballing culture, what's it down to - bad coaching or what? You'd think with the hundreds of kids that play footy, we'd have unearthed some more promising talent. You look at Boro down the road as a comparison and whilst, yeah, they haven't really picked up any gems - they've brought through a lot more local youth players into their first team than we have.