U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest Heneage

We must have had some serious dross in our academy this last decade. From what i can gather, the vast majority don't even make it into the lower English leagues. For a city with such a massive footballing culture, what's it down to - bad coaching or what? You'd think with the hundreds of kids that play footy, we'd have unearthed some more promising talent. You look at Boro down the road as a comparison and whilst, yeah, they haven't really picked up any gems - they've brought through a lot more local youth players into their first team than we have.

While I expect bias claims, I still don't think Marwood got a fair chance. Especially when you see Donaldson getting a game...

He hasn't been picked up by anyone else though - no one. Didn't you tell me he'd gone to America to do a sports degree or something?

Obviously, the execution was pitiful and i don't want to ignite an age-old argument, but one thing that the current setup recognised was our pitiful academy. They thought it needed an overhaul and they were right.

Only, like i say, it was executed horribly. I mean - as i've touched on in that post there, it shouldn't just be a case of bringing in foreign talent. Obviously i'm not from the area so i can't speak with any assurances on the subject, but i'd bet there's stacks of kids sides in the area - hundreds (thousands?) of young lads playing football. To think the best we've nurtured - out of all them kids - in the last 10/15 years are Steven Taylor and Shola Ameobi just boggles the mind.

There's something badly wrong at the core with our academy. From my thoroughly ignorant and presumptuous perspective.

We must have had some serious dross in our academy this last decade. From what i can gather, the vast majority don't even make it into the lower English leagues. For a city with such a massive footballing culture, what's it down to - bad coaching or what? You'd think with the hundreds of kids that play footy, we'd have unearthed some more promising talent. You look at Boro down the road as a comparison and whilst, yeah, they haven't really picked up any gems - they've brought through a lot more local youth players into their first team than we have.

It's about numbers TBH. Although we've thrown up the odd excellent footballer in our time, we have never had alot of good footballers coming through. It's because the area hasn't got a big enough population, especially when you consider there are two big clubs in the near area.... newcastle and gateshead of course ;).

As for Boro, they have brought through alot more players but it's argueable on whether they have been "good enough". However, with all that said, i've never been convinced by our youth set up.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The better kids in the North East, and Newcastle, are picked up by Boro and Sunderland (I think the Mackems currently have 3 or 4 Geordies in their youth program who should be playing for the Toon). I'm not going to deny it, but their set up is a lot better and orgainsed then ours currently is. If I had a kid with Footballing talent, and I could put my heart for the Toon to one side (and swallow pride), I'd seriously think about telling him to pick Boro or Sunderland if he wanted to Succeed in football.

Also, goodluck to the young uns tonight against West Ham - HO'WAY THE TOON!

The better kids in the North East, and Newcastle, are picked up by Boro and Sunderland (I think the Mackems currently have 3 or 4 Geordies in their youth program who should be playing for the Toon). I'm not going to deny it, but their set up is a lot better and orgainsed then ours currently is. If I had a kid with Footballing talent, and I could put my heart for the Toon to one side (and swallow pride), I'd seriously think about telling him to pick Boro or Sunderland if he wanted to Succeed in football.

Definately, I've heard/seen it first hand.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Definately, I've heard/seen it first hand.

To add to that, the Mackems have just announced their new intake of youth, and it contains another 2 players North of the Tyne. Makes you wonder what our academy scouts are doing, why aren't they in there at Wallsend and Cramlington getting these players in young? Hell the Toon Academy is based in Benton now, its basically right bang in the middle of the youth Football hotbed.

Forest Hall and Longbenton are on its doorstep, fair enough they've only produced Liam Henderson in the last 20 years. Cramlington are up the road, and Wallsend are just down the road. Build your local ties! How are the Mackems getting the march on us for young local talent? Could it be the fact we've had as many Youth Directors as we've had 1st Team Managers over the last 10 years? Probably.

EDIT:

Great result for the young 'uns tonight. Hope we get a decent turn out for them at SJP.

Great result for the young 'uns tonight. Hope we get a decent turn out for them at SJP.

It would be great if they did £1 & then advertised it to f***!!!

it'll be the usual £3 and £1.50 concessions but hopefully they will get it advertised properly and get a decent turn out.  The semi final home leg against Man City a few years back had over 5k, hopefully we can beat that.  We were torn to shreds by MIchael Johnson, Daniel Sturridge and Kelvin Etutu that night mind!

Tonights result is a cracker,  not sure what West Ham were like but they are a club like Everton, Man City and Villa who are renowned for their academies and youth team.  We've still got Vukcic and Ameobi to come back into our team as well, although not sure if they will be fit for the quarter final.

Guest Stephen927

While I expect bias claims, I still don't think Marwood got a fair chance. Especially when you see Donaldson getting a game...

He's been in the papers about having a few trials since being released and hasn't been picked up at all by lower league teams.

This Inman sounds a bit tasty. Lord knows we could do with a midfielder with a bit of an engine.

i've been saying all season that i can't believe he hasn't had a sniff of the first team while the likes of Donaldson does.  He's streets ahead of Donaldson.  I know he's nicknamed kaka cos he looks like him but maybe he's now starting to play like him too!! lol

This Inman sounds a bit tasty. Lord knows we could do with a midfielder with a bit of an engine.

i've been saying all season that i can't believe he hasn't had a sniff of the first team while the likes of Donaldson does.  He's streets ahead of Donaldson.  I know he's nicknamed kaka cos he looks like him but maybe he's now starting to play like him too!! lol

You are him aren't you.

Brad Inman -> B. Inman -> Binman -> Binnsy

:dowie:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What's happened to Donaldson? He's went from being an ok/semi prolific goal scorer, to makeshift headless midfielder who can't really tackle.  :undecided:

What's happened to Donaldson? He's went from being an ok/semi prolific goal scorer, to makeshift headless midfielder who can't really tackle.  :undecided:

I've only seen the lad play about half a dozen times, but he's been fucking gash every single time. Does absolutely nowt.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've only seen the lad play about half a dozen times, but he's been fucking gash every single time. Does absolutely nowt.

I wouldn't be too harsh on him, as he's not this amazing midfielder that Chris Hughton believes he is. He's a little poacher of a goal scorer, and should still be up front. At youth/reserve level he was decent enough, and still does the job in youth games at International level. His confidence will be going to shit being forced to play out of position.

I've only seen the lad play about half a dozen times, but he's been f***ing gash every single time. Does absolutely nowt.

I wouldn't be too harsh on him, as he's not this amazing midfielder that Chris Hughton believes he is. He's a little poacher of a goal scorer, and should still be up front. At youth/reserve level he was decent enough, and still does the job in youth games at International level. His confidence will be going to s*** being forced to play out of position.

i don't think he's been a striker for a while now, definately played the last 2 seasons for the reserves in midfield  I can't remember seeing him score a goal.  I remember seeing him for the first time in the youth cup a few seasons back, he partnered Carroll, i remember bigging him up to my dad on the way as this hotshot England centre forward but he had a mare and missed at least 3 really good chances.  When he broke into the reserve team as a striker he rarely impressed and ended up moving into midfield,  he even played centre half a few times in his last season for the under 18's.  He must still have a good reputation with England as he has somehow managed to get into the England under 19 squad this season!!