U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Just tried satellite channel 912. That aint the match but it was a cracking treat!

:mackems:

Cracking result, sets up next week nicely,  the lads deserve a good turn out to support them.  Just make one change, start Vuckic and give the lad an hour or so instead of Adjei or Ameobi.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Cracking result, sets up next week nicely,  the lads deserve a good turn out to support them.   Just make one change, start Vuckic and give the lad an hour or so instead of Ameobi.

Adjei can surprise, while Ameobi is just Ameobi. The teams performs better without him in the side, as they always try to lob up to him and he just can't handle it. Where as Airey will chase any through ball or long ball, and his work rate helps the team out a lot.

Guest Toon Saint

Just tried satellite channel 912. That aint the match but it was a cracking treat!

I forgot all about the football and watched 'snatch of the day' instead.  :snod:

Who's in the other semi?

Chelsea have already beaten Blackburn over 2 legs in the other one.

Ah right, they shoulkd have a good academy with all the money they've pumped into it

Team of foreign imports probably

According to my mate, Doug Ellis was there last night.

It's too easy to label him as only in it for the money, when he's turning up for youth team matches despite being clearly not long for this world.

I find myself liking him more and more these days.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Who's in the other semi?

Chelsea have already beaten Blackburn over 2 legs in the other one.

Ah right, they shoulkd have a good academy with all the money they've pumped into it

Team of foreign imports probably

Pretty much. We beat them in a friendly at the beginning of this season, but I remember Chelsea people saying it was a team full or trialists.

I went to the game last night. My overall impression was that Villa seem to have a policy of selecting players firstly of skill and technique, Hence half of their team were too small and easily knocked about. Our lads generally looked much bigger and stronger.

Maybe in a couple of years time those Villa lads will have grown and will be all the better for their experiences and maybe some of our lads are already as good as they will get.

Anyway our Centre backs look big and dominant if a little slow, Our midfield looked busy and creative. (nice to see in a Newcastle side) Terry Macs lad looked good as did the redheaded lad in there.

Airey was a big threat up front and was wrongly chalked off side with a great glancing header which should have been his second goal. He also just failed to get on the end of a Vukic cross second half and had a tremendous free kick spectacularly tipped over the bar by the Villa keeper. Airey was excellent but his swedish partner Adjei had an off night. He could have killed Villa off in the first minute of the second half had he composed himself in front of goal but he sent his shot into row Z of the empty Holte end. Vukic looked too strong for Villas little kids when he came on but looked a bit off the pace, early days after injury I suppose.

On the face of it it looks as though at this stage of their development our lads should be too big and strong for this mainly diminutive Villa side although it would be interesting to see the same lads in a year or twos time and see how they have grown.

Out of interest I will keep the programme and see how many names on it come through.

I went to the game last night. My overall impression was that Villa seem to have a policy of selecting players firstly of skill and technique, Hence half of their team were too small and easily knocked about. Our lads generally looked much bigger and stronger.

I didn't go, but my mate did, and that is almost word for word what he said as well.

I didn't go, but my mate did, and that is almost word for word what he said as well.

I'm suprised with that as all i seem to have been saying for the last couple of seasons when watching the youth team is that we seem on the small side (Andy Carroll obviously being an exception) and struggle against the bigger more physical teams. 

I'm suprised with that as all i seem to have been saying for the last couple of seasons when watching the youth team is that we seem on the small side (Andy Carroll obviously being an exception) and struggle against the bigger more physical teams.   

Perhaps Villa are just reeeeeally small?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

According to one youth team player's parent the Toon have a 6'+ height policy these days when it comes to the youngsters. Not sure how that applies to u16 & below like, suppose they look at the parents or something?  :undecided: