The media's reaction to our plight

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

You will soon see a more pro-NUFC front from the media who rather than targeting the club for mocking and scorn will go after the real culprits responsible and this isn't because of any love affair for the club but because a Premiership-less Newcastle United is less news copy for them to sell.

You'll soon read about "this great club" with "those great fans deserving better" and other platitudes. Meanwhile Ashley and co will get hell from the media, in print, on radio and over the TV screen and of course over the web..

It is already starting to happen. The knives are being sharpened and will be twisted in hard from now until our destiny is known.

And good luck to them I say.

Guest Howaythetoon

Indeed, Sky and Setanta too would be far from happy if Newcastle went down.

Massively, we are a top draw attraction for them arguably the biggest outside the top 4 as our coverage in terms of live matches and whenever anything happens at the club shows.

Newcastle dropping down a division will lose the media a few quid no doubt.

When it came to dealing with the new tv deal and EU Rules, Sky officially listed us as the 5th most important club in terms of viewing figures. maybe the old aussie will ask for a few favours and dispense a few manila envelopes to help us out.

When it came to dealing with the new tv deal and EU Rules, Sky officially listed us as the 5th most important club in terms of viewing figures. maybe the old aussie will ask for a few favours and dispense a few manila envelopes to help us out.

This is all true, I've noticed a shift in the reporting too in our favour.

Cue a few dodgy pens coming our way*, fingers crossed.

Allegedly*.

You're kidding yourselves big time here. The media would love us to go down, it'd be such a great story. Conflict between the fans and the owner just adds spice to it, and they'd love that situation to deteriorate still further. The relish with which every defeat or disappointment is being reported makes that very clear.

You're kidding yourselves big time here. The media would love us to go down, it'd be such a great story. Conflict between the fans and the owner just adds spice to it, and they'd love that situation to deteriorate still further. The relish with which every defeat or disappointment is being reported makes that very clear.

hm, not 100% convinced...we sell papers and get fans watching tv for a variety of reasons

floundering in the championship or worse will make it nigh on impossible for them to dredge stories and thus sales from the club, i'm sure they'd much rather we stay up and keep on being the PL circus/laughing stock for the rest of eternity

You will soon see a more pro-NUFC front from the media who rather than targeting the club for mocking and scorn will go after the real culprits responsible and this isn't because of any love affair for the club but because a Premiership-less Newcastle United is less news copy for them to sell.

You'll soon read about "this great club" with "those great fans deserving better" and other platitudes. Meanwhile Ashley and co will get hell from the media, in print, on radio and over the TV screen and of course over the web..

It is already starting to happen. The knives are being sharpened and will be twisted in hard from now until our destiny is known.

Agree with this - whilst it would be great copy for them for a few days if we DID go down, the loss of the club to the Prem would far outweigh this...those in charge of the PL will also be crapping themselves at the loss of numbers, both home & away after NUFC is relegated.

The comments about Murdoch also have a ring of truth - times are undeniably hard and Sky will not want to lose more subs from disenchanted Toon fans, wherever they live, so maybe there just MIGHT be a few

envelopes flying around.

Whatever the truth of all this, one thing is sure  - Ashley IS in for a caning because so many in the media have it in for him anyway and this gives them more ammo to use.

hm, not 100% convinced...we sell papers and get fans watching tv for a variety of reasons

floundering in the championship or worse will make it nigh on impossible for them to dredge stories and thus sales from the club, i'm sure they'd much rather we stay up and keep on being the PL circus/laughing stock for the rest of eternity

IMO, the media act like a pack of sharks who, when they smell blood, attack in a mindless frenzy and count the consequences later. That's all that's happening here.

Wishful thinking in the extreme. They are licking their lips at the shitstorm they can rake up over our demise.

Delusions of grandeur about our own self importance would only make it worse for us if they were to pick up on this vibe.

They have no integrity whatsoever and do not think beyond how many of their rags they can shift of tomorrows newstands.

Hoping for help from the press. Talk about clutching at straws or what,

God help us.

Guest optimistic nit

IMO, the media act like a pack of sharks who, when they smell blood, attack in a mindless frenzy and count the consequences later. That's all that's happening here.

thats not true at all, the media arent stupid, they have good business heads.

Guest Howaythetoon

The media are all about £££s first and foremost.

In the past few weeks I've seen Steve Howard tear into Ashley and write kind words about the club, this was a man who loved to put the boot into KK from what I remember and would whenever talking about Newcastle, try and put us in our place.

The press just go which way the winds blowing, they can and do change their stance on any subject with regularity.

Articles about the toon are no exception, if you looked at the general trend of stories in the papers about us for the last 10 years or so they'd probably show a wave of good/bad/good/bad/good/bad etc

Putting us on the back pages generally sells papers.

Guest Brummiemag

The Sun managed to produce a 16 page special on Jade Goody, so I wouldnt take anything the media say to seriously

And so it begins

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/240255/WERE-ALL-IN-THIS-TOGETHER-BUTT-Toon-stars-think-were-too-good-to-work-hard.html

By MARTIN HARDY, 28/03/2009

TWO Lamborghinis arrived at Newcastle's training ground last week. One came from Scotland for former Rangers forward Peter Lovenkrands - finally, after two months, reunited with his £150,000 motor. The other came north, brand new, for Danny Guthrie.

Around the corner from the car park, in a small side room, Newcastle's most decorated player spoke of collective responsibility. About looking in the mirror. About taking the blame for the implosion that has propelled the club to the brink of relegation. Nicky Butt never once spoke of cars.

"I am a player. I am part of why we are where we are," he said. "It's p****d me off. We have 20- odd lads who are p****d off. We will all have different reasons as to why it has gone wrong.

"It's definitely in our heads. We think we're too good to be working as hard as a Hull or a Bolton. We HAVE to work as hard as them and then our ability will kick in.

"Maybe we think we don't need to do that, that we're too good. We think: 'We've got Michael Owen, we've got Oba Martins, we've got Gutierrez, we've got Damien Duff - we've got all these great players, so we don't need to work as hard. But the fact is we do.

"I'm part of it. We're all in it together. We're going out for games and we have the thing in our head that we are much better than him, the person we're playing against.

"We think: 'I'm a much better player and I can take it easy today.' Everyone is part of that and we have to get rid of it.

"It's not work ethic, to be fair. They are all good lads who work hard in training and give their all. It's something inside your head. I'm no different. You think: 'I'm playing against this lad today, and I'm better.' You might think once or twice a season: 'I can take it a bit easy today' - but you can't."

Clearly. Newcastle sit on the precipice. Defeat to Arsenal last week struck hard after their drop into the bottom three. More significantly, it destroyed much of the remaining belief on Tyneside that they could emerge from a catastrophic season still in the Premier League.

There was the whole Kevin Keegan business. There was Mike Ashley. There was the sale, then the no-sale. There is Joe Kinnear's illness. And then there is Butt's honesty.

He added: "It was all a bit of a distraction but it's not an excuse for the players. It's easy to blame the situation or someone else. Sooner or later you have to look at yourself in the mirror. You have to say: 'Hold on, mate. It's not his fault. It's me who's not performing.'

"We all have to do that and try to turn it around for the last eight games. I hope the players are coming round to that way of thinking."

Butt is loath to hark back to his Old Trafford days. But he still demands the standards Sir Alex Ferguson expected, a self-reliance currently missing on Tyneside.

Butt reflected: "Taking it easy wasn't allowed at Manchester United. You have so many players fighting for your position. This season we've had injuries and maybe even if you don't train well you still play.

"At the top clubs, if you're not training well in the week, the coaches will see that and someone else will play. If you've got people threatening to take your position, players as good as you, you know that if you take your foot off the gas for a fraction, you'll be out of the team."

It seems Butt's whole Newcastle career has been spent fighting fires, trying to find a semblance of the success he had in Manchester.

His first year at the club, 2004-05, was a bitter disappointment. He failed to recapture the form that had seen him win six Premier League titles, three FA Cups, the Champions League and 39 England caps.

A loan spell at Birmingham was similarly dark. He could easily have walked. Only a comment from his dad stopped him.

"He's my hardest critic," Butt explained. "But when it looked like I might be leaving Newcastle, he said to me: 'You know you're better than what you're showing, better than the players taking your place. You have to be a man and show them.'

What do you think? Leave your comments below

"He said: 'It's easy to walk away when people are slagging you off - but there's a choice. You can show them how good you are and stick two fingers up to your critics.'"

So Butt did - and his own resurrection followed.

The 34-year-old explained: "It's easy to walk away, especially nowadays, with the amount of money in the game. If I walked away now I would be set up for life. But there is something inside that says you don't want the easy way out. I didn't want to do that."

Butt has bought in to Newcastle, its working-class core, its anger at failure, its ability to implode.

He said: "We've the potential to be a big club but we're not. We're going backwards. And I came here to challenge for the top four. Everyone is Newcastle daft up here. Even the girls and the grannies go around in black and white shirts. That makes it different.

"You always associated Newcastle with big signings and trying to get over the final hurdle. The last two seasons have been disasters and I feel for the fans and everybody involved. At the minute we are nowhere near challenging where we should be. We are inconsistent, we've got no confidence and we need to get it back.

"Playing at St James' is something we should thrive on. We should be looking forward to playing in front of our fans. If we get the structure of the club right, we can get there. But it will take years and no one wants to hear that. You need to get the academy running right, you need to get players coming through the club who bleed it, players whose grandparents loved the club.

"I feel for this club now. I feel for Newcastle. I love the place, I love the attitude of the people around it. It's just football, football, football. Our position hurts me because this place means something to me. We have to keep the club in the Premier League."

In its hour of need, Newcastle clings to such spirit.

I love how he says that, yet the players still arnt bothered. After all if we go down they can just leave for a top flight club and underperform for them.

not convinced tbh - the majority of our wasters will struggle to find another club unless they significantly reduce their demands imo

who on earth is going to look at what the likes of smith & duff have produced for us then think about paying them big money?  it might happen but a large portion of our squad (unfortunately for us) have blown their reputations to shreds in their time at NUFC

i think we'll struggle to get rid of a lot of them

An as yet unidentified rag today(Sunday) has us about to go into administration.

sunday express

Aye just seen it on SSN paper review.

the article is on newsnow . no quotes or anything.