Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest firetotheworks

I have to say, I'll try to keep it away from becoming a Keegan thread. But I remember when he was appointed and I said to one of my mates 'its win/win, if he does well then thats mint, if it goes tits up then the fans will stop with this nostalgia stuff and it'll all be about merit'........now we want Shearer, based on nothing but our love and his.

The weird thing is, that I'm all for it too. Still no logic to it though.

Before we even think about his mindset, his motivation and how good a manager he's going to be - i'm all for Shearer because he's about as good as we're going to get. If we say "no thanks", we'll end up searching for another and regretting it. We haven't been actively looking for a manager and making approaches, so if we were to reject Shearer then it throws another spanner in what's been a very jaded close/pre-season.

Is Shearer most peoples first choice?

Im probably in the monority when i say that I dont want him managing the club. I know comparison to Souness will get me slated but charactrer wise and attitude wise Im struggling to see too many difference, anyone care to enlighten me as to what it is that makes Shearer so qualified?

I was all for Shearer at the back end of last season for the simple fact he was the only man who could put pressure on MA to start running the club properly rather than anything to do with his managerial ability. Now Ashley is selling up he's pretty redundant but it's clear he's going to be the first choice of the majority of fans "becoz its SHEERAAA!"

I don't buy into any of this shite about him knowing what the club needs/fans want. Frankly the whole 'Geordie Nation' guff wore really thin towards the end of Shepherd's time here so the idea Shearer is the only man for the job is complete bollocks. If i'm totally honest i'd much prefer we took a chance on an upcoming manager with a few years experience under his belt rather than someone with 8 games but i'm resigned to getting Shearer.

There are some plus points, if he does turn out to be good the feeling around the club will be fantastic despite the fact we're in the Championship and if he's a failure then at least we know the answer to the Shearer question. He'll not be hanging around like Banquo's Ghost whenever we sack a manager.

Im probably in the monority when i say that I dont want him managing the club. I know comparison to Souness will get me slated but charactrer wise and attitude wise Im struggling to see too many difference, anyone care to enlighten me as to what it is that makes Shearer so qualified?

I was all for Shearer at the back end of last season for the simple fact he was the only man who could put pressure on MA to start running the club properly rather than anything to do with his managerial ability. Now Ashley is selling up he's pretty redundant but it's clear he's going to be the first choice of the majority of fans "becoz its SHEERAAA!"

I don't buy into any of this shite about him knowing what the club needs/fans want. Frankly the whole 'Geordie Nation' guff wore really thin towards the end of Shepherd's time here so the idea Shearer is the only man for the job is complete bollocks. If i'm totally honest i'd much prefer we took a chance on an upcoming manager with a few years experience under his belt rather than someone with 8 games but i'm resigned to getting Shearer.

There are some plus points, if he does turn out to be good the feeling around the club will be fantastic despite the fact we're in the Championship and if he's a failure then at least we know the answer to the Shearer question. He'll not be hanging around like Banquo's Ghost whenever we sack a manager.

Exactly what I think. I wouldn't personally pick him but might as well get it out of the way now....

Urgh - semantics ftw! At the end of the day (blargh), he's a new manager and i reckon he's got a bit of raw talent and the right frame of mind to take a club like Newcastle out of the Championship. If he's given a decent backing by the new owners, he's got a shed-load of experience and time under some quality managers that will stand him in good stead. Peope forget that Roy fucking Keane pissed this league a couple years ago.

I'm not 100% confident in Shearer, it's impossible to be - but i've got faith that he'll do alright given the right circumstances.

He will be upcoming though, because clubs would want him regardless of how he does here. Roy Keane isn't owt special and he pissed this league with fuck all experience.

There are no real reasons why Shearer is the best bet, I know that. But I don't know who else I'd prefer other than Martinez who is now unavailable. It just feels right for me but I want rid of the shadow too.

Also, a lot of good things have been said by players. Obviously they arent going to slate him, but when they talk about him running it like a proper football club again. I think he will get the basics right, which will be a an incredible achievment for us. Gettings players on time, eating together, togetherness, a lot like when Bobby was here.

Guest Wally_McFool

I take some people's points about the Alan Shearer love in and why they are against him being made manager  but to get Newcastle UNITED again and quickly, I cannot think of anyone better than Shearer to do this.

See I resent the idea that Shearer is already being talked about as the only option, Ive also noticed that a few people have intimated that it will be another major fuck up if he isnt appointed which i think is astounding.

The cynical side of me thought that Shearer was in a win win situation and he knew it, I just have a specific criteria about what i want to see in a manager, and Shearer fits only one bit - his presence. Aside from that I thought his handling of Barton was Souness-esque, and its little things like that that make me wary of him. Im actually very confident that he'd get us back up to the prem, but I just dont see him making many improvments whilsts we're up.

Just a hunch - not my most articulate post.

We need to appoint him because he's the only one in the frame and we've lost enough time already, than to go searching for another manager. And i mean what quality is out there for us to get? ???

We need to appoint him because he's the only one in the frame and we've lost enough time already, than to go searching for another manager. And i mean what quality is out there for us to get? ???

indeed.. I think some people underestimate Shearer's character.. That's what made him the legendary player that he was and that's what will make him succeed as manager.

I've got no doubt that he's the right man, regardless of his inexperience and tactical weaknesses.

The thing I don't get is - who would people pick instead of Shearer? Martinez is gone, Bruce (meh anyway) is gone to the Dark Side, Coppell? No thanks, he's not going to get any pulses racing. Really who else is there? Ince? No thanks again.

Shearer has to be Manager one day for all the reasons stated. Even if the best one is to get it over with.

As for me I was impressed with how he dropped Owen, the way he dealt with Barton and the way he conducted himself at the end of games/interviews etc. As for the football he knows a bit about it doesn't he? The perfect way for him to start is in the Championship.

He knows the players to keep and the ones who don't give a fuck. Would Coppell or Ince know that? He knows the type of player who can come in and do a job.

Season tickets will be sold on the strength of his appointment, fans will go on a one to one basis if he's in charge. That can't be a bad thing for the club as a whole, unless of course you want the club to fail totally.

The thing I don't get is - who would people pick instead of Shearer? Martinez is gone, Bruce (meh anyway) is gone to the Dark Side, Coppell? No thanks, he's not going to get any pulses racing. Really who else is there? Ince? No thanks again.

Shearer has to be Manager one day for all the reasons stated. Even if the best one is to get it over with.

As for me I was impressed with how he dropped Owen, the way he dealt with Barton and the way he conducted himself at the end of games/interviews etc. As for the football he knows a bit about it doesn't he? The perfect way for him to start is in the Championship.

He knows the players to keep and the ones who don't give a fuck. Would Coppell or Ince know that? He knows the type of player who can come in and do a job.

Season tickets will be sold on the strength of his appointment, fans will go on a one to one basis if he's in charge. That can't be a bad thing for the club as a whole, unless of course you want the club to fail totally.

Totally agree.

Although i can see why people question whether he's going to be a good manager or not, he does have the ability to galvanise a club which is on it's knees. I also think he will attract the best players possible for us too.

Surely it's not as simple as just seeing if everyone interested in buying the club wants Shearer as manager. What about contract conditions ? What about Shearer's demands on player retentions and transfer pots ? Are they going to get full agreement on that too ?

I just can't see Shearer being appointed until the ownership issue is resolved, which basically means we're screwed.

I don't buy into any of this s**** about him knowing what the club needs/fans want. Frankly the whole 'Geordie Nation' guff wore really thin towards the end of Shepherd's time here so the idea Shearer is the only man for the job is complete bollocks. If i'm totally honest i'd much prefer we took a chance on an upcoming manager with a few years experience under his belt rather than someone with 8 games but i'm resigned to getting Shearer.

Exactly what I think. I wouldn't personally pick him but might as well get it out of the way now....

Same here!, I'm resigned to him taking over,so now we should find out if he can manage or not and if he can't, then we can finally move on.

I dont know of many mentally strong great players who made great managers, as racsit is this maybe, findng a great english manager is practically impossible. I only see Shearer having one mode of management when it comes to issues such as discimpline, i dont think Shearer has the ability in him to know when to put his arm round someones shoulder and when to bollock someone, i think he'll only bollock, the better managers know how to bring the best out in everyone.

As the for the question of who else, id rather have Curbishley at the club, god forbid we get pigeonholed with another club legend who doesnt quite cut it but cant be removed easily becasue of fear of the wrath of fans.

Id actually much rahter go foreign as well as i think the technical side of managemaent and coaching is much better, Ketsbai was definitely a viable option, if we did a tiny bit of research Im sure we'd find a good manager who'd love the challenge and draw of English football, especially with a good chance of getting in the prem and especially with the oppurtunity to manager in front of 50k.

The job is still a good one, just becasue its not Formula 1 it doesnt mean the car is slow.

To say the handling of Barton was Souness-esque is laughable. He's let this club down time and time again, and couldn't play again anyway because he got himself suspended. No similarities to Souness and Bellamy at all ffs.

Debateable, there is no way in a million years that Barton is anything but a shitbag and a thug but the whole thing smacks of how Bellamy was treated, castigated immediately and the whole thing done publically. Good managers just dont suspend players and have rifts like Shearer did with Barton - bare in mind the whole timescale of shearers appointment and the subsequent fallout, i cant imagine another manager in the game who'd of taken the same actions as Shearer. If what was written about the incident was true then shouldnt that raise more questions about Shearers ability, or is anything Barton is alleged to of said inadmissable on account that Bartons a cunt? I have no doubt in my mind that abttewr manager would have been able to handle the situation much more better than how Shearer did. And its part of my fears, its the kind of actions that Keane would (and has taken) and the kind of action that Ince would take, not the kind of action that Guardiola would take.

Whats so different? Im not saying they were identical but i am saying that there are worrying similarites, the suspension to Barton meant nothing, it was purely show and tell. A load of bollocks and the act and a person who's not thinking for the benefit of the club but for his benefit - "ill put my foot down to outline my authority" at a point where authoruity and discimpline is the least of his problems. Its the exact kind of attitude that Souness would take, its the exact same thing Souness would of done, its definitely not the thing that a Rafa, Wenger, Mourihno or Fergie would of done, not in that situation.

Guest Heneage

To say the handling of Barton was Souness-esque is laughable. He's let this club down time and time again, and couldn't play again anyway because he got himself suspended. No similarities to Souness and Bellamy at all ffs.

He could get us back up he has undoubted quality and is tough tackling.

How was it done publically? It was leaked from the arguments in the dressing room, not by player and manager having a slagging match on Sky Sports. Totally different.

He clearly told Barton not to do anything stupid - just as any other manager would - and he was let down.

You seem to be continually missing the point that Barton was suspended from playing for the rest of the season, why NOT suspend the thick cunt from the club? What use would he be around the training pitch etc?

Criticise Shearer all you like for his tactics and results but over the Barton issue? Fucking ridiculous.