Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Some are making out like Shearer called Barton a prick on live TV. He was totally honest and said the tackle was stupid and probably deserving of a red. He also (IIRC) said the issue of discipline would be dealt with at a later date. Once Barton was suspended from playing in the final three games it was pointless having him training, and once Barton and Shearer went at each other it was pointless having such a potentially poisonous influence in training. Once Barton was suspended it was pointless letting the media and the fans speculate over what the club were going to do.

I really don't see the issue with the Barton thing at all.

:clap: :clap:

Some are making out like Shearer called Barton a prick on live TV. He was totally honest and said the tackle was stupid and probably deserving of a red. He also (IIRC) said the issue of discipline would be dealt with at a later date. Once Barton was suspended from playing in the final three games it was pointless having him training, and once Barton and Shearer went at each other it was pointless having such a potentially poisonous influence in training. Once Barton was suspended it was pointless letting the media and the fans speculate over what the club were going to do.

I agree

I agree

Aye the force is strong with Dave today

I agree

Aye the force is strong with Dave today

http://images.lukeskywalkercostumes.com/child_luke_skywalker.jpg

As of this morning, whilst at Ascot, Shearer had heard nothing from either Ashley or Llambias?

How do you know this habibbeye? Interesting if true and contradicts a lot of other stuff in the papers.

Why woukld it matter? I think the first Shearer will hera will be from whoever buys the club.

Guest westamfan

My mate is at the Ascot racing today and has just rang me up to say he's bumped into Alan Shearer and a few ex footballers (one of them being a chain smoking Steve Stone) and asked him to sign his programme. He him what's going on with Newcastle and the managers job to which Shearer replied ....... "I've no idea, I wish I knew"

Not huge news but I thought i'd let you guys know!

Dave

Some are making out like Shearer called Barton a prick on live TV.
No one is saying that.

He was totally honest and said the tackle was stupid and probably deserving of a red.
He never said 'probably' at all his exact words were "It WAS a stupid tackle AND he deserved to be sent off.

From the moment he uttered those words there was no chance of getting this decision appealed, none whatsoever.

That's what you aren't getting.

The rest of your posts discusses events after this interview so its pointless addressing them.

Dave

No one is saying that.

He was totally honest and said the tackle was stupid and probably deserving of a red.
He never said 'probably' at all his exact words were "It WAS a stupid tackle AND he deserved to be sent off.

From the moment he uttered those words there was no chance of getting this decision appealed, none whatsoever.

The rest of your posts discusses events after this interview so its pointless addressing them.

So your issue is that basically you didn't think it was a red card? Well I did. Even if the decision was debatable there was no chance on earth of it being rescinded. Absolutely no chance whatsoever, and it's clear that Shearer knew this.

What about the argument they had in front of the rest of the players? Is it pointless addressing that?

Dave

No one is saying that.

So your issue is that basically you didn't think it was a red card? Well I did. Even if the decision was debatable there was no chance on earth of it being rescinded. Absolutely no chance whatsoever, and it's clear that Shearer knew this.

What about the argument they had in front of the rest of the players? Is it pointless addressing that?

The argument they had in front of the players AFTER that interview Dave? When Shearer remembered he wasn't still a pundit on MOTD?

TBH I wouldn't like to comment on it but Shearer is obviously unhappy with Barton in the post match interview and I don't know if Barton saw him give his comments live on TV. Everything else would be speculation but to be publicly condemned and hung out to dry by your own manager would not have helped the situation.

To repeat Fredbobs comments - when does Fergie ever act like this?

As for the decision I see its now 'absolutely no chance whatsoever' of it being rescinded whereas before shearer said it was 'probably' deserved.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

All I'll say is if we bothered to appeal Bassong's red we really should have had the chance to appeal Barton's.

Only there was no chance of that after that interview was there?

Dave

No one is saying that.

The argument they had in front of the players AFTER that interview Dave? When Shearer remembered he wasn't still a pundit on MOTD?

TBH I wouldn't like to comment on it but Shearer is obviously unhappy with Barton in the post match interview and I don't know if Barton saw him give his comments live on TV. Everything else would be speculation but to be publicly condemned and hung out to dry by your own manager would not have helped the situation.

As for the decision I see its now 'absolutely no chance whatsoever' of it being rescinded whereas before shearer said it was 'probably' deserved.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

All I'll say is if we bothered to appeal Bassong's red we really should have had the chance to appeal Barton's.

perhaps shearer was just irate that barton has not only undergerformed in his time here but has behaved on the pitch like a complete twat too many times ?

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

perhaps shearer was just irate that barton has not only undergerformed in his time here but has behaved on the pitch like a complete t*** too many times ?

Perhaps an irate manager was not what we needed.

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

perhaps shearer was just irate that barton has not only undergerformed in his time here but has behaved on the pitch like a complete t*** too many times ?

fairly sure i've even heard wenger and mourinho be honest on a couple with some sendings off. if we had a manager like ferguson who lied through his teeth all the time (as opposed to wengeres most the time) i'd have little respect for him. i really don't think man utd would be anyworse a team if ferguson was honest if one of his players got sent off.....do you ?

i remember robson being honest on this sort of thing...who do you respect more as a man...robson or ferguson ?

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Aye, we needed Chris Hughton to ruffle his hair and say "you cheeky little scamp!".

You are ignoring the fact that Barton was no longer of any use to us that season: he was suspended from playing (because of Barton's past reputation and because it was certainly a red card, Shearer knew it would never get rescinded), he had an argument with Shearer and slagged off some of the players, therefore he was no good in the dressing room or even in training. So what point was there having him in either of those upsetting people or causing trouble, especially during such a critical stage of the run in? Shearer was right to tell the media that it was a stupid tackle and a red because a) would never get rescinded and b) he had no intention of looking to get it rescinded.

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I was under the impression the argument took place when the players went back into the dressing room, which would be before the TV interviews. I may be wrong.

Fergie might well act differently but he's possibly the greatest manager ever, with decades of experience. Don't you think it's a bit farcical to be comparing the two and suggesting Shearer is inadequate for a Championship club on that basis?

I don't think it was ever going to be rescinded. If as you say Shearer said the red was deserved (not 'probably') then that suggests he thought the same. That backs up my argument, not yours.

FWIW we probably appealed Bassong because we were absolutely desperate for a central defender at that point. We literally had no other option.

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

fairly sure i've even heard wenger and mourinho be honest on a couple with some sendings off. if we had a manager like ferguson who lied through his teeth all the time (as opposed to wengeres most the time) i'd have little respect for him. i really don't thing man utd would be anyworse a team if ferguson was honest if one of his players got sent off.....do you ?

your right, but its fergies disagree-able, fighting scotsman personality that gives him his drive and hunger.you cant pick and choose the best bits.

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

fairly sure i've even heard wenger and mourinho be honest on a couple with some sendings off. if we had a manager like ferguson who lied through his teeth all the time (as opposed to wengeres most the time) i'd have little respect for him. i really don't think man utd would be anyworse a team if ferguson was honest if one of his players got sent off.....do you ?

i remember robson being honest on this sort of thing...who do you respect more as a man...robson or ferguson ?

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

It's a bit wierd that. The last sentence doesn'yt appear in your post but it's there when I quoted you :dontknow:

Anyway the answer to that is always SBR.

And while I have heard Wenger and Mourinho occasionally (very occasionally) condemn their players publicly 99% of the time they either 'didn't see the incident" (Wenger) or they say nothing at all.

That was what we needed after the Liverpool game, Shearer letting his emotions rule his head did this club no good whatsoever.

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

It's a bit wierd that. The last sentence doesn'yt appear in your post but it's there when I quoted you :dontknow:

And while I have heard Wenger and Mourinho occasionally (very occasionally) condemn their players publicly 99% of the time they either 'didn't see the incident" (Wenger) or they say nothing at all.

That was what we needed after the Liverpool game, Shearer letting his emotions rule his head did this club no good whatsoever.

No good as in what though? Did we play worse in the last three games because Barton wasn't allowed to train?

Dave

No one is saying that.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

No good as in what though? Did we play worse in the last three games because Barton wasn't allowed to train?

It can definitely be argued that him not being around could have improved morale.

I look on the Barton crackdown as a setting of standards, similar to time-keeping and dress code. These might not be seen as vital, and it doesn't make Shearer a great manager, but all the same it was long overdue. It may even turn out that Shearer is another Souness but until he's had a run at the job no one can really know either way.

A more valid criticism of Shearer's appointment is that he lacks experience and know how. At the moment I'm inclined to look at his positive attributes like leadership, determination and ambition. I'll review that assessment after seeing how he does if he gets the job, but I don't think it's fair to judge him on the eight games he had with the current bunch of no-hopers in our squad.

Oh FFS Dave

I was under the impression the argument took place when the players went back into the dressing room, which would be before the TV interviews. I may be wrong.
It must have been the quickest argument in history as Shearer was on TV within 2 mins of the final whistle.

Fergie might well act differently but he's possibly the greatest manager ever, with decades of experience. Don't you think it's a bit farcical to be comparing the two and suggesting Shearer is inadequate for a Championship club on that basis?
I suggest you read Fredbob's post on page 105 (which you quoted) and you'd see there are more names than Fergies being mentioned. In fact if you read that post again you'll see Shearer is specifically NOT being compared to Fergie.

I don't think it was ever going to be rescinded. If as you say Shearer said the red was deserved (not 'probably') then that suggests he thought the same. That backs up my argument, not yours.
No it backs up my argument that he should have shut his trap and quietly appealed. We had nothing to lose by doing that but what benefit did Shearer speaking his mind actually give us?

FWIW we probably appealed Bassong because we were absolutely desperate for a central defender at that point. We literally had no other option.
We were desperate after the Liverpool game, I would have said an appeal (no matter how slim its chances were of success) should have been an option for us. But to repeat again Shearers comments ended any thought of that.

Does it really matter?  Does your complete judgement of Shearers usefulness and ability as a manager really hinge on his dealings of one incident with Joey "Cuntbag" Barton?

Really?

p.s. you're both ridiculous  :laugh2: