So is Wise (aka 'the system') on his way?

Dave

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2693506/Alan-Shearer-Newcastle-under-current-structure-is-not-appealing---Football.html

Shearer said: "I would like to be a manager at some stage in my career, but that means controlling the players that go in and the players that go out.

"I don't think I would be comfortable working within a structure with a director of football who was picking and choosing the players for me."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3477892/Alan-Shearer-unlikely-to-take-Newcastle-managers-position-while-Dennis-Wise-still-at-St-James-Park-Football.html

Shearer's close friend, Rob Lee, has revealed the Geordie icon is ready to pick up the gauntlet of managing his hometown club but it is generally perceived that will not happen while Wise remains in charge of transfer policy as director of football.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/2008/11/18/alan-shearer-will-only-take-newcastle-job-on-his-own-terms-reckons-rob-lee-115875-20904342/

[Rob] Lee told The Mag fanzine: "I firmly believe that he would do it tomorrow if the job is how he wants it, without all the silly games going on that have killed it."

Something must have changed, right?

Has there even been any intimation that Shearer is the long term appointment? You'd think they'd just give him the reigns until May and make long term decisions after that.

I don't think he'd take the job if there wasn't the suggestion he'd get it properly should he do the business.

Guest neesy111

Has there even been any intimation that Shearer is the long term appointment? You'd think they'd just give him the reigns until May and make long term decisions after that.

I don't think he'd take the job if there wasn't the suggestion he'd get it properly should he do the business.

shearer will have wanted stuff to happen his own way, and WHEN we stay up, he'll have to take it

Guest WashyGeordie

Maybe if he gets offered a longer contract the 'system' will be demolished.

But atm, he's our interim interim interim manager  :cheesy: and atm i just think he care's about the survival of the club.

thats assuming we know what wise does.

Fair comment. I just think those quotes from Lee and Shearer himself suggest he strongly disagrees with the concept of a director of football in any capacity.

thats assuming we know what wise does.

Fair comment. I just think those quotes from Lee and Shearer himself suggest he strongly disagrees with the concept of a director of football in any capacity.

thing is exery DofF has a different remit.

Just starting to realise how ludicrous this sitaution is. We've appointed a beloved, young, high profile manager until the end of the season, while our hated, old, low-profile manager (who has a multiyear contract) recuperates in the hospital. Also, this new young manager supposedly hates, and has publically spoken out against the backroom staff of the club.

Just starting to realise how ludicrous this sitaution is. We've appointed a beloved, young, high profile manager until the end of the season, while our hated, old, low-profile manager (who has a multiyear contract) recuperates in the hospital. Also, this new young manager supposedly hates, and has publically spoken out against the backroom staff of the club.

:lol:

This is NUFC.

Guest neesy111

This is NUFC.

there's one thing about nufc, we never ever dull

This is NUFC.

You must of missed the Souness years.

I think the system will remain but not Wise. It looks like Kinnear is going to assume the role of DOF and Shearer is going to come in till the end of the season to see if he is comfortable in the setup.

Guest neesy111

This is NUFC.

You must of missed the Souness years.

bellamy and souness contridicting each other on sky sports, the owen signing, dyer & bowyer fight

I think the system will remain but not Wise. It looks like Kinnear is going to assume the role of DOF and Shearer is going to come in till the end of the season to see if he is comfortable in the setup.

Maybe so. It'd make more sense I guess; at least Kinnear has some experience in the game and can apparently pick a player (the Wenger stuff etc). :neutral:

Surely more details will come out soon, but how can there really be anything to decide other than team selection right now?  Surely Shearer has watched all of our games since he retired, he'll know what to do.  My only worry is that the whole "Owen is my best mate" factor might resurface.

Maybe so. It'd make more sense I guess; at least Kinnear has some experience in the game and can apparently pick a player (the Wenger stuff etc). :neutral:

Hopefully Kinnear's role as DOF is restricted to hounding Wenger for info on players.

:D