I love Sir Bobby Robson, but...

KaKa

I always smile a bit when Keegan or anyone else is described as a 'legend'. A legend is just a popular story, it isn't a historically accurate account.

For me, the true test of a manager is someone who can over-achieve on the financial and player resources at their disposal. Sir Bob was the only manager we've had who clearly did that. It's been interesting to look back at the team that we had in his day, because there's no way they should have been getting top 4 places and competing in the second stage of the Champions League.

Keegan had a crucial role in galvanising the club during his first spell, but he was backed in a major way by Sir John Hall's money. It's no coincidence that he left first time round when the time came to balance the books, and left second time round when he realised he couldn't persuade Ashley to spend big. On both occasions, he's managed to sell his actions as standing on points of principle, because of his reputation in the area.

It's probably true that those of us living outside the area tend not to have the same feelings for Keegan, but that doesn't mean we've got it wrong.

Through some ghastly combination of factors, I've ended up with both NE5 and cp40 having personal vendettas against me :lol:

Funny.

Its the name oldtype, it scares us.

Guest Sniffer

I always smile a bit when Keegan or anyone else is described as a 'legend'. A legend is just a popular story, it isn't a historically accurate account.

For me, the true test of a manager is someone who can over-achieve on the financial and player resources at their disposal. Sir Bob was the only manager we've had who clearly did that. It's been interesting to look back at the team that we had in his day, because there's no way they should have been getting top 4 places and competing in the second stage of the Champions League.

Keegan had a crucial role in galvanising the club during his first spell, but he was backed in a major way by Sir John Hall's money. It's no coincidence that he left first time round when the time came to balance the books, and left second time round when he realised he couldn't persuade Ashley to spend big. On both occasions, he's managed to sell his actions as standing on points of principle, because of his reputation in the area.

It's probably true that those of us living outside the area tend not to have the same feelings for Keegan, but that doesn't mean we've got it wrong.

It probably isn't.

But then, you rate ameobi so WTF is your opinion worth?

I just wish Shearer had been appointed 16 months ago after Sam Allardyce was sacked. Instead, yesterday's man Keegan was appointed instead of tomorrow's man.

Interesting comment.

And completely accurate.

Newcastle have had one legendary manager, and his name was Bobby Robson, not Kevin Keegan.  One man was sacked and still turned up to see the club he loves despite being seriously ill.  The other f***ed off to play golf while we were sucked into a relegation battle. 

This thread should be titled 'I Love Bobby Robson.'  No buts about it.

Who's a special little boy...

If we were dead last in the Championship with over half the season gone and no players to buy or sell do you think Robson even answers the phone to manage us?

And Robson only accepted the our board's approaches - after having knocked us back once before - after the curtains had well & truly closed on his management days over on the continent imo. The Newcastle job, when he stepped into the hotseat, at his age was his last port of call in the management game, in terms of taking hold of the reigns at a big club. A club with the necessary ambition at boardroom level to match his own goals.

This is absolutely spot-on - SBR wouldn't touch NUFC while he was still being sought by the likes of PSV and Barca ; he even refused when asked in 1975 whilst manager of Ipswich, although the Board were the main reason for that.

got to concur with HTT to an extent, the majority of foreigners and younger members on this board demonstrate a somewhat cringeworthy understanding of Keegan and what he means to the area and the club

The only cringeworthy thing I see here is the narrow minded xenophobia of certain members.

Don't like non-Geordies supporting the club? Well then you'd best f*** off from an internet forum where nearly 50% of the members are foreign.

After 8 months I'm perfectly capable of ignoring the usual rubbish about Keegan being to blame etc, cheers

and I never implied anything of the sort btw

Good, after 8 months I've adjusted myself somewhat to ignoring the usual rubbish about the man with 50% responsibility for this debacle being made into some sort of sainted matyr.

KK's more than 50% responsible for this debacle really. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have a premiership club to support capable of getting in a debacle like this, we'd just be meandering along somewhere in the football league.

Also, even if he was 100% responsible for the situation that led to him leaving the club (NB I'm not implying, nor do I believe this is anything like the truth) I'm pretty sure that some competance at board room level would have seen us safe by now given the number of games remaining when KK departed.

p.s. I love Sir Bobby Robson.

Guest Howaythetoon

KK took over a 3rd division bound Newcastle United and kept us up against the odds. The following season - his first as a manager - he took us up into the top-flight where he went on to lead us to a 3rd place finish and European football which was followed by a top 6 finish and a genuine title challenge, narrowly missing out in 2nd place.

If that isn't over achievement I don't know what is.

Sir Bobby Robson - an experienced manager regarded as one of the best in the game - on roughly the same kind of net spend never took us close to the title or quite as high in the table and his time at the club was punctuated with 2 seasons of mediocrity. Under KK mediocrity was classed as finishing 6th...

KK is without doubt a Newcastle United legend, hero and icon all rolled into one whether you want to believe it or not Bob. Sir Bobby's time here was very good overall but nowhere near as good nor as significant as KK's time at the club and the two respective records simply don't compare. KK saved this club and turned it into one capable of beating anyone and winning everything. Sir Bobby got closer than anyone to restoring the club to such capabilities but in truth he still got nowhere near the levels of KK.

I remember when we went top of the table after beating Arsenal at Highbury and when asked if his team could win the league he said "I don't think so, but we can dream" or words to that effect. That wasn't defeatism, that was Sir Bobby's sage old wisdom and experience telling us that his NUFC side, although exciting and on the up, wasn't capable of winning the Championship. KK's side was and he achieved that as a rookie in just 3 years on a budget that Sir Bobby was also afforded.

If Sir Bobby overachieved then KK most certainly did. What he did will never ever happen again. A club on the verge of dropping down to the 3rd level of English football and with it potential bankruptcy to almost Champions of England in just over 3 years in his first job as a manager on a net spend that today wouldn't buy you a handful of Manchester City's players.

Guest Howaythetoon

When he arrived the club couldn't afford players or even an assistant's salary so KK paid Terry Mac out of his own pocket and indeed bought kit and boots for the schoolboy players on our books. He went beyond the call of duty with those acts but went even further when he told Sir John Hall that if he couldn't keep us up, not to pay him. He even said that if Sir John Hall wanted out, KK would buy half a stake in the club and run it for the two of them.

There's a lot that one could debate in your post, Chris, but this leapt out at me. Where did you get this information from?

It certainly doesn't fit the picture of the bloke who walked out on the club with about 8 games to go of that season, and needed to be persuaded by Terry McDermott to return.

From The Magnificent Obsession: Keegan, Newcastle and Sixty Million Pounds, the quotes coming from Sir John Hall regarding KK wanting to buy a stake in the club. Buying boots and kit quotes are also in the book and come from one of the coaches at the time, possibly from Derek Fazackerley. That book is without doubt the best I've ever read about NUFC and the man himself, so much insight from that era and just how insane this club is which despite popular belief didn't start with the arrival of KK or stems from his time here as manager. I defy anyone to read that book and then say he doesn't love this club, isn't a legend of this club or is some kind of coward. I also recommend Kevin Keegan: An Intimate Portrait of Football's Last Romantic and Poisoned Chalice: The inside story of Keegan's England as great insights into the man. You will also get a good understanding of why he quit first time around, during his first few months in the job only to be persuaded to come back and when he walked out for good back in '97. No poxy compensation could ever repay what we will forever be in debt to the man for and that is the saviour of our club. A club certain figures have done their best to fuck up time and time again when it was handed on a plate to them and I include Shepherd and co in that and some of the managers we've had since KK.

Guest Howaythetoon

This is exactly what Im getting at though HTT. Its like preaching to the converted about what the club all means and all this. I know, I assume everyone else knows. Its a given.  I admire your passion, and maybe its me that should be more passionate on here, but sometimes its like you should change your name to OTT.

OTT :lol: I like it. I do go over the top sometime I agree, especially in defence of KK and accusations that he is no legend or a coward from people who wouldn't even be following the club if it were not for the man. And I include myself in that too. It was KK who made me fall in love with the club and football.

The funny this is, you're saying that I'm not going to know what a Geordie feels towards the club. Well, I am a Geordie, Ive lived in Newcastle all my life (minus the last 5 months), does that now justify my passion as righteous? Has your entire opinion now changed knowing that I'm a Geordie, and why has it changed? I'm not saying that non-Geordie have the same passion as us either, I'm merely saying that you don't know, and if I wasn't a Geordie and read what you'd written I'd be mightily angry and hurt, and probably develop a chip on my shoulder about trying to prove to others about how much I love NUFC. Ironically, something that I see in your posts sometimes.

I'm aware you're a Geordie or was, my comments were not directed at you. I couldn't care less what a none Geordie reading what I wrote felt for what its worth. I'm being honest. This isn't about how much someone loves NUFC by the way, or how much of a fan you are. Its about what KK means to this club, this city and us lot, especially the Geordies amongst us. Never have I said you can't if you're not a Geordie appreciate what he did or even understand what he achieved and means to the club and us as fans or even feel it in some way. But don't as someone who wouldn't be following the club if it were not for KK come on here and spout how he isn't a legend because there can only ever be two words to that, f*** off. Or maybe two fingers would suffice. We need such an emoticon.

• 5 years later...

Bit random this. Anywhere online you can read Sir Bobby's column he used to do?

Mail on Sunday have taken him off their list of authors looks like when you click the links.