Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

i have 100% confidence in our keepers. Always have and nothing has changed. Maybe I'm just not as cynical.

No way anyone in their right mind could have 100% confidence in Harper or Krul.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

i have 100% confidence in our keepers. Always have and nothing has changed. Maybe I'm just not as cynical.

Or maybe you just haven't seen him screw up like we have

Guest Rey Mysterio

Krul should be in there for me, it seems goalies need to make a succession of absoloute howlers to get dropped these days.

I remember getting slagged off after Donny away last season for saying it was time Harper was replaced and I am still very much of the same opinion.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction to yesterday as he was probably unsighted for the goal (even if it did take him 10 minutes to move) but time after time over the last year I have found myself thinking he could have done a lot better.

As has been pointed out, Krul is not flawless but at this moment in time IMO he is a better allround goalkeeper than Harper and is only going to improve with gametime. Give the lad a chance.

I don't see enough difference in the two to justify Harper being dropped.

Krul needs to go elsewhere for a season of experience before he becomes our no 1 IMO

I'd agree with this as well like. Should have kept Fraser and put Krul out on loan, opposite of last season

The way Harper gets slagged off every single time we concede is f***ing embarrassing.

absolutely embarrassing yep.

Its like people think Tim Krul is literally a brick wall. He's had his fair share of bad games even as a backup keeper. I really rate Krul and want him to be our no.1, but I don't think Krul would have done ANYTHING better than Harper at any point in the three prem games we've played this season.

I'm positive that Krul wouldn't have given away the penalty against Villa.

Didn't Krul give away a similar pen against Huddersfield in the League Cup?

Guest localhero87

No way anyone in their right mind could have 100% confidence in Harper or Krul.

Yeah true, I must have a seat in the ground that faces outwards.

Guest firetotheworks

The only one I think he'd have saved is the third against Man United, and even then I'm not so sure.

Krul needs to go elsewhere for a season of experience before he becomes our no 1 IMO

Krul's distribution and reflexes are better than Harper's. Harper edges it on decision making as he's got the experience. Although his confidence looks shot lately - which has impacted his decision making.

That's the thing though. If there's little difference between the two, pick the one who needs games to improve because Harper won't. Even if he makes one or two mistakes I think his better overall ability will prevent more goals, and a few months down the line I think he'll be even better.

Guest rosstoon

My biggest issue with Harper is his speed to react.  This season we have conceded the lowest amount of shots on traget = 5. We have conceded 4 goals so its a bit of a worry. I think CH will give him a few more weeks but cannot see him continuing.

My biggest issue with Harper is his speed to react.  This season we have conceded the lowest amount of shots on traget = 5. We have conceded 4 goals so its a bit of a worry. I think CH will give him a few more weeks but cannot see him continuing.

have you saw the goals we've conceded ?

Our defence is quality and that in itself is partially down to Harper and his communication. They have confidence in him and vice versa. The goals conceded thus far haven't been Harpers fault at all (except for Wolves which I can't comment on because I haven't seen it). Like I have said in other threads, no-one should be dropped until they clearly under-perform.

Our defence is quality and that in itself is partially down to Harper and his communication. They have confidence in him and vice versa. The goals conceded thus far haven't been Harpers fault at all (except for Wolves which I can't comment on because I haven't seen it). Like I have said in other threads, no-one should be dropped until they clearly under-perform.

its not so much the defence as the defending throughout the team which has  came on massivly since christmas.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Can't say I've heard Harper communicate with his defenders in all the time I've sat in the Gallowgate end like.

Guest rosstoon

have you saw the goals we've conceded ?

Yes and why. I think that in the PL you need to react quicker and i dont think he has the speed to do this.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Havent really seem enough of Krul to say he's the answer, or should replace Harper. Granted, when Krul has played hes looked good, but he cant have played more than 10 first team games?

I'm sure Hughton will get it right.

As the saying goes; In Hughton we trust.

For us or in his career? As he spent a whole season with Falkirk a few years back.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We should stick with Harper tbh. Krul may have better reflexes, but is far from the finished article in terms of judgement and decision making. The difference between goals conceded if Krul started the season would have been negligible imo.

We should stick with Harper tbh. Krul may have better reflexes, but is far from the finished article in terms of judgement and decision making. The difference between goals conceded if Krul started the season would have been negligible imo.

So go with the one who'll become a better keeper with games, surely?

What if after five games he's made a few mistakes? Then what? People will get on his back, unsettle him, and he'll either have his confidence shot to pieces or he'll want to move on.

He's not ready. Harper can take the stick and even if he can't who cares, he won't be here in a few years. Krul needs to be eased in. We're in our first year back in this division where survival is absolutely necessary. The same goes for all youngsters, they can't just be thrown into the team.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

What if after five games he's made a few mistakes? Then what? People will get on his back, unsettle him, and he'll either have his confidence shot to pieces or he'll want to move on.

He's not ready. Harper can take the stick and even if he can't who cares, he won't be here in a few years. Krul needs to be eased in. We're in our first year back in this division where survival is absolutely necessary. The same goes for all youngsters, they can't just be thrown into the team.

This

:thup: