Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Lineker urges Capello to consider Newcastle keeper Harper

England legend Gary Lineker says Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper deserves World Cup consideration by Three Lions coach Fabio Capello.

In his column for the Mail on Sunday, Lineker wrote: "I wonder if Fabio Capello might take a leaf out of Bobby Robson's book by casting his eye over a player who is excelling in the Championship while rivals are floundering in the Premier League.

"Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper has been one of the main reasons his side are heading back to the top flight.

"Finding goalkeepers is a world problem because of the way the game has changed, particularly in the movement of the ball.

"I've seen even the best, like Iker Casillas and Gianluigi Buffon, have nightmares this season. So why not look at Harper? He's solid, dependable and I know Alan Shearer rates him. But as far as I have seen, he hasn't been mentioned.

"Having understudied Shay Given for years, he will not be fazed by sitting on the bench and staying focused if needed at a second's notice."

Why he is a presenter and not a pundit.

Guest firetotheworks

England legend Gary Lineker says Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper deserves World Cup consideration by Three Lions coach Fabio Capello.

In his column for the Mail on Sunday, Lineker wrote: "I wonder if Fabio Capello might take a leaf out of Bobby Robson's book by casting his eye over a player who is excelling in the Championship while rivals are floundering in the Premier League.

"Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper has been one of the main reasons his side are heading back to the top flight.

"Finding goalkeepers is a world problem because of the way the game has changed, particularly in the movement of the ball.

"I've seen even the best, like Iker Casillas and Gianluigi Buffon, have nightmares this season. So why not look at Harper? He's solid, dependable and I know Alan Shearer rates him. But as far as I have seen, he hasn't been mentioned.

"Having understudied Shay Given for years, he will not be fazed by sitting on the bench and staying focused if needed at a second's notice."

Exactly. He's got nothing on the likes of Paul fucking Merson.

Guest firetotheworks

The thing Harper has over the others is that he's not a dodgy keeper. He makes some mistakes, but never huge clangers. The problem being that he's not up to the same level of being a shot stopper as James etc imo.

Says James, who suggested Krul for Holland.

The thing Harper has over the others is that he's not a dodgy keeper. He makes some mistakes, but never huge clangers. The problem being that he's not up to the same level of being a shot stopper as James etc imo.

James makes some ricks but for his club he's a very dominant goalkeeper who takes the pressure off his defence by taking a lot of high crosses. Harper is a safe, solid option other than his weakness on crosses though.

:facepalm:

I'm not sure it's as far fetched as people make out. England have a real problem at the GK position, Green I think should be number 1, he's a good solid keeper, but I still can't imagine how James has managed to stick around the squad for so long. Hart is a young keeper in good form atm, too young though to be the person you want in an old head's position for the biggest tournament in the world.

Harper is a good solid and dependable keeper who has the experience to not let anyone down, if called upon in the World Cup. I still can't understand the constant abuse he gets from some of you, he's never let us down, we picked him up for nothing and he's given us years of loyal service, he's also been one of of best performers this season.

In an ideal world for England, Harper probably wouldn't get close to a call, but because of the lack of real quality at that position in the country, he would not be a bad call to make the squad IMO.

He's a decent keeper who while not being spectacular and making the odd mistake is solid and dependable. I'd take him over James or Foster. I think Green is good but has made a few clangers lately and never looks entirely comfortable. Hart is the one I really rate. Full of confidence but seems pretty down to earth and has the ability to make cracking saves. At the minute he looks like the long term future for me. I'd take Harper with those two to have an older experienced head. Wouldn't expect him to play or get picked after the World Cup but as a back up, why not.

I also think that one very big plus is that Harper - if taken to the World Cup - could play as a striker as well.  :lol: He played for us in a friendley as a centre forward under Allardyce.

It only seemed a friendly because we won but it was our season opener against Bolton - it was as a sub for the last 10 minutes or so.

It was mint seeing "HARPER 12" on an outfield kit.

I also think that one very big plus is that Harper - if taken to the World Cup - could play as a striker as well.  :lol: He played for us in a friendley as a centre forward under Allardyce.

It only seemed a friendly because we won but it was our season opener against Bolton - it was as a sub for the last 10 minutes or so.

:idiot2:

He came on for Butt against Celtic with 10 minutes to go in a pre season game at St James' Park which we won 4-1.

He played the full 90 in goal against Bolton.

:idiot2:

He came on for Butt against Celtic with 10 minutes to go in a pre season game at St James' Park which we won 4-1.

He played the full 90 in goal against Bolton.

Of course, 10 mins vs. Celtic as striker (because Butt became injured and no one else than Harper and Krul were left on the bench)

and 90 mins vs Bolton and the first 5 or so games of the season in goal.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sicko2ndbest

Steve Harper for England. That save last night before the nod in. Was lush. :thup:

Did the reserves have a game last night? :)