Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

• Newcastle have allowed their opponents only four shots on target so far this season but have still managed to concede three goals

Same as what that Italian keeper had in the WC non?

He goes down far too slowly. In January are priority should probably be a new keeper. If we have any money I'd go all out for Camp.

We can't afford to risk him a season that could make or break us.

You're talking to yourself there?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

He goes down far too slowly. In January are priority should probably be a new keeper. If we have any money I'd go all out for Camp.

:lol:

Shit I'm going mad. Was meant to be a responce to your post.

Shit I'm going mad. Was meant to be a responce to your post.

I knew it, was just pointing out your quoting-fail.  :lol:

s*** I'm going mad. Was meant to be a responce to your post.

'Responce' too. I think I need to hit the hay.

s*** I'm going mad. Was meant to be a responce to your post.

'Responce' too. I think I need to hit the hay.

Aye, I should response to that?

I think Krul is the better goalkeeper of those two. I fully agree it would be a risk. But Harper, at the moment, doesn't really seem up to it.

I think Harper should be given the next games (and he will be) but once he does mistakes, Hughton shouldn't hesitate to put Krul in as a replacement for him.

One's got a future, the other's got a past...

Krul's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. He lacks a bit of composure and needs games to develop his decision-making. He's a bit rash.

On the other hand Harper is getting older and slower and is conceding goals I'd expect a younger, more agile keeper to save comfortably.

The ideal situation would be to attach Harper's head onto Krul's body. I'd give Harper til about Xmas to prove he's still up to it and look to bring in Krul more as the season goes on.

One's got a future, the other's got a past...

Krul's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. He lacks a bit of composure and needs games to develop his decision-making. He's a bit rash.

On the other hand Harper is getting older and slower and is conceding goals I'd expect a younger, more agile keeper to save comfortably.

The ideal situation would be to attach Harper's head onto Krul's body. I'd give Harper til about Xmas to prove he's still up to it and look to bring in Krul more as the season goes on.

I'm not sure we can give Harper until Christmas if he doesn't improve, I hope he does because I don't think he's done himself justice for a while now.

Harper's been consistent. He's somewhat safe and his experience shows, to some extent.

Sadly, his agility is all but gone, and there'll be a fair few goals like the first and third against Man U, which will have a few on here yearning for Krul.

Harper's been consistent. He's somewhat safe and his experience shows, to some extent.

Sadly, his agility is all but gone, and there'll be a fair few goals like the first and third against Man U, which will have a few on here yearning for Krul.

We can't keep giving away goals just because the opposition have a shot, I'm one of Harpers biggest fans but at some stage Krul might become a safer option.

Surely you can understand why though? For all Krul's faults he seems very agile and saves shots that Harper simply can't anymore. Harper isn't getting any better, younger or quicker so it's natural to look to the next in line. 

I can understand it, certainly.

So how long would you give Harper then? You've mentioned the first and third at Man U, if he's still letting in goals like that on a semi-regular basis then when do you make the change? Not being arsey btw, just wondering when your patience would break. I've already said I'd like to give him til Xmas but wouldn't be frightened to bring Krul in sooner if need be.

When he starts actually losing us games, it'll be time.

Thing is with Krul, he should have been on loan for the last 4 seasons.

He has been out on loan to Carlisle and Falkirk but I'd agree totally with that. Keepers get better with experience and he should have been playing every week for the last few years.

Krul makes some mistakes BUT he will only learn to remove those as he plays more games

Harper has been a brilliant servant to the club BUT he plays like a very old man - he is really slow - fortunately we havnt suffered yet this season BUT its only a matter of time his slow reactions cost us

As I've posted before in some other thread, Krul will make mistakes in every odd game. But the positive is that, with every game he'll play, he'll improve actually.

While Harper won't improve anymore but will also do mistakes.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

When he starts actually losing us games, it'll be time.

Thing is with Krul, he should have been on loan for the last 4 seasons.

So he was at fault for 3 of the 2 goals in the 3-0 defeat at Man U in your opinion. By that logic, he was probably the one that contributed the most to our defeat. As if he had saved those it would have been 1-0 and we'd have a very slight chance of a piss taking equaliser.