Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owen's stats of 1 goal in 2 games looks very impressive on paper, but hasn't he only scored 1 goal in his last 8 games when he have needed them the most?

0 in the last 8

1 in the last 14

Wow. Those 1 in 2 stats look pretty hollow now. If he's playing against boro he has to score or we are going to have paid dearly for keeping faith with him based on his reputation.

Yee then look how many shots he has taken in those matches, and how many total shots the team has had in them.

Owen's stats of 1 goal in 2 games looks very impressive on paper, but hasn't he only scored 1 goal in his last 8 games when he have needed them the most?

0 in the last 8

1 in the last 14

Wow. Those 1 in 2 stats look pretty hollow now. If he's playing against boro he has to score or we are going to have paid dearly for keeping faith with him based on his reputation.

Yee then look how many shots he has taken in those matches, and how many total shots the team has had in them.

I get it...he's not getting the service. That makes him pretty much a passenger in our team then as we aren't about to start providing loads of chances on a plate with our midfield, so maybe we need to look at different options.

0 in the last 8

1 in the last 14

I get it...he's not getting the service. That makes him pretty much a passenger in our team then as we aren't about to start providing loads of chances on a plate with our midfield, so maybe we need to look at different options.

Yep no good to the team at the moment as full of shite around him, but the idea that he is finished as a striker is laughable.  28 total shots to 8 goals, is it?  Is pretty good strike-rate if ask me.

How about I point to the 3 in 4  record of Ronaldo throughout to his career to prove why Barcelona should resign him

Owen's finished man, and i'm tired of attacking him and his record tbh. The fact is, he has 4 games to prove his worth having been absolutely shite in his last 14.

I cannot wait for the likes of you and Jayson to start singing his praises again when he fucks off in the summer having contributed nowt but a bucketload of shite performances in the last 5 months of the season

How about I point to the 3 in 4  record of Ronaldo throughout to his career to prove why Barcelona should resign him

Owen's finished man, and i'm tired of attacking him and his record tbh. The fact is, he has 4 games to prove his worth having been absolutely s**** in his last 14.

I cannot wait for the likes of you and Jayson to start singing his praises again when he f***s off in the summer having contributed nowt but a bucketload of s**** performances in the last 5 months of the season

When he goes to a team who can get the ball in the box, he will be great asset to any side.  Has had like 28 shots this year (total) and scored 8, a team who creates 3 times as much, comes in for him.. and well.. you know where im going with it.

He would be a good replacement for Inzaghi btw O0

Owen's finished man, and i'm tired of attacking him and his record tbh. The fact is, he has 4 games to prove his worth having been absolutely s**** in his last 14.

I cannot wait for the likes of you and Jayson to start singing his praises again when he f***s off in the summer having contributed nowt but a bucketload of s**** performances in the last 5 months of the season

When he goes to a team who can get the ball in the box, he will be great asset to any side.  Has had like 28 shots this year (total) and scored 8, a team who creates 3 times as much, comes in for him.. and well.. you know where im going with it.

He would, you're right. Why have a 12 in 21 striker like Inzaghi when you can bring in Michael '7 in 25' Owen

Inzaghi's managed an assist this season aswell, which is one more than little Michael  O0

He would, you're right. Why have a '12 in 21' striker like Inzaghi when you can bring in Michael '8 in 25' Owen

Inzaghi's managed an assist this season aswell, which is one more than little Michael

Huh you comparing a relegation side to AC Milan :lol: jesus christ thats desperate.

28 shots(total) 8 goals.

Find out Inzaghis please :)

They are the same type of player too, Inzaghi 9 goals to 10 attempts really?

Or are you exaggerating like always..

0 in the last 8

1 in the last 14

Yep no good to the team at the moment as full of shite around him, but the idea that he is finished as a striker is laughable.  28 total shots to 8 goals, is it?  Is pretty good strike-rate if ask me.

Most of the decent teams want forwards who can do more than just mooch the odd goal here and there. Man U have made it a policy of buying forwards who even when they play on the wing score 20 goals a season. Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, and Ronaldo are great examples of this. Obviously they are out of our price range, but they are just so far removed from Mr Invisible Owen it's a joke.

Guest LucaAltieri

Inzaghi's 35 and still banging in hat-tricks for one of the best teams in Europe, when Owen's 35 he'll probably be in a wheelchair.

Are you plotting something?

Guest Mantis

Inzaghi's 35 and still banging in hat-tricks for one of the best teams in Europe, when Owen's 35 he'll probably be in a wheelchair.

He'll be sat in it looking down on the £15m+ he has had out of us with a smug look on his face.

Are you plotting something?

I'm running out of patience, it has to be said.  :knuppel2:

Yet when he was 30 he didnt score from 11 league games, year before that scored 7 in 28 for one of the best teams in Europe.

1 assist in 2007-08 from what i can find.

Tron raises a good point about Man Utd but it is a more general phenomenon across top level football, there aren't as many pure strikers around as there were in the 90s, forwards have to do far more work than they used to while attacking midfielders are expected to score more than they used to, i guess the rigid roles have disintegrated a bit and attacking is more fluid and 'total football'. just look at the top scorers this season, no-one has scored a bucketload and for i think the 3rd straight season the top scorer is a winger-forward-attacking midfielder in Ronaldo, someone who can't be pinned down to one position. strikers like Owen who do little but score are increasingly a thing of the past. man utd improved vastly after getting rid of perhaps the last of the old-school strikers in RVN, even though he was arguably their best player at the time.

justifying owen in a side is especially difficult when he's not got the physical attributes (pace or strength) to do the role at the highest level and when his finishing range is limited.

Why Michael Owen should play the Newcastle captain's role off the pitch too  By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-east 29/04/2009

Read Simon Bird’s north-east football column exclusively on Mirror.co.uk every Wednesday

I have always been a supporter of Michael Owen. I have had sympathy with the major injuries he has suffered, and the way he has battled back.

I have seen him in the swimming pool month away from full fitness, paddling past grannies in swimming caps on his road back to playing. Uncomplaining and doing the hard yards.

I've had admiration that he has returned to keep his goal average at one every other game for club and country.

When Michael Owen speaks he talks down to earth sense. He doesn't fake it, or do badge kissing. Just cold ruthless facts.

The problem is that Michael Owen, as captain of Newcastle United, hasn't actually done much talking in public.

Advertisement - article continues below »

When Alan Shearer was skipper, he'd front up in the most trying for circumstances, field the barbed difficult questions like a man and even in defeat fans would know a leader was standing up to be counted.

After the draw against Portsmouth, Owen didn't front up like a skipper should.

It would have been so easy to come out and express determination for the battle ahead, belief that the relegation fight is not over. Pledge that he will personally try to ensure a great escape happens.

Fans deserve to hear their club skipper's thoughts in good times and bad.

The only time he ever says anything is when he is trying to convince us other clubs that he can still score goals and is still a good player.

He is a terrible captain and I believe this has played a huge part in the lack of fight our players have out on the pitch as he never takes responsibility to even attempt to galvanize the team when they are struggling.

Just a disgusting situation.

1 assist in 2007-08 from what i can find.

Tron raises a good point about Man Utd but it is a more general phenomenon across top level football, there aren't as many pure strikers around as there were in the 90s, forwards have to do far more work than they used to while attacking midfielders are expected to score more than they used to, i guess the rigid roles have disintegrated a bit and attacking is more fluid and 'total football'. just look at the top scorers this season, no-one has scored a bucketload and for i think the 3rd straight season the top scorer is a winger-forward-attacking midfielder in Ronaldo, someone who can't be pinned down to one position. strikers like Owen who do little but score are increasingly a thing of the past. man utd improved vastly after getting rid of perhaps the last of the old-school strikers in RVN, even though he was arguably their best player at the time.

justifying owen in a side is especially difficult when he's not got the physical attributes (pace or strength) to do the role at the highest level and when his finishing range is limited.

Can you use the word technique instead, i really don't think you have the right definition.

In your view of the word, you would call a player who dribbles 5 yards and then hits a 30 yard shot and it fly's in a good finish.  When in my eyes its a great strike.

Finishing to me is finishing off chances - involves ball control, awareness, composure, intelligence, to get get on the end of the moves and score.

Being a good finisher, is having all these characteristics and scoring consistently.  Players with good technique can score from half way line, wouldn't say it was a good finish though imo.

Seriously man, as much as want to verbally caress Owen's member, wait till after he's scored 0 in 18 and contributed to our relegation, the reaction on here will be a lot funnier

That's where you argument lead to, well played.

Why Michael Owen should play the Newcastle captain's role off the pitch too  By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-east 29/04/2009

Read Simon Bird’s north-east football column exclusively on Mirror.co.uk every Wednesday

I have always been a supporter of Michael Owen. I have had sympathy with the major injuries he has suffered, and the way he has battled back.

I have seen him in the swimming pool month away from full fitness, paddling past grannies in swimming caps on his road back to playing. Uncomplaining and doing the hard yards.

I've had admiration that he has returned to keep his goal average at one every other game for club and country.

When Michael Owen speaks he talks down to earth sense. He doesn't fake it, or do badge kissing. Just cold ruthless facts.

The problem is that Michael Owen, as captain of Newcastle United, hasn't actually done much talking in public.

When Alan Shearer was skipper, he'd front up in the most trying for circumstances, field the barbed difficult questions like a man and even in defeat fans would know a leader was standing up to be counted.

It would have been so easy to come out and express determination for the battle ahead, belief that the relegation fight is not over. Pledge that he will personally try to ensure a great escape happens.

The only time he ever says anything is when he is trying to convince us other clubs that he can still score goals and is still a good player.

He is a terrible captain and I believe this has played a huge part in the lack of fight our players have out on the pitch as he never takes responsibility to even attempt to galvanize the team when they are struggling.

:sadnod:

Read Simon Birds north-east football column exclusively on Mirror.co.uk every Wednesday

Very valid article that and it raises a few uncomfortable questions.