Fitness problem ? Or overtraining ?

Guest Phil K

Guest Phil K

Can't fathom out why Newcastle seemed to be huffing and puffing and seem to be knackered after 70 mins or so

I recall Clough I think it was, saying over-training does more damage to fitness than NO training.

Yet under Big Sam our players seemed absolutely knackered despite him being an apparent wonder with regards to modern training methods. I think Keegan said he couldn't believe how unfit the team were. JFK then thought things were shambolic under Keegan before he took over training.

Then again I suppose in the situation we are in players will seem more heavy legged, whereas if we'd have scored you'd have noticed an extra spring in their step.

I think they pushed too hard in the first half, and it showed in the last 20 minutes. I just had that feeling that they wouldn't be able to keep up the pace (note how quickly we closed down _everything_ at the start) for very long at all.

Guest toonlass

Don't worry about it, we have had this problem since Dalglish came here. We have been consistanly top of the "crocked" league for well over a decade. Its nowt new.

Guest Phil K

God forbid whats going to happen to us against Liverpool

It was men against boys up here, I shudder to think how much damage is going to be done to our goal difference down there.

Some players would respond to that with "I'll show THEM" but our lot seem to just fill with self-pity instead.

Most of the players last night have only recently come back from injury and not many have had a full 90 minutes so it was inevitable after all the effort in the first half, that they would run out of steam.

Most of the players last night have only recently come back from injury and not many have had a full 90 minutes so it was inevitable after all the effort in the first half, that they would run out of steam.

That's certainly true for Martins and Guthrie, it's pretty much par for the course with Viduka. Then throw in the fact that we also have players who are past their sell by date in Owen and Butt and it's not surprising we run out of steam. There are only a handful of real athletes in the team, the rest are Championship standard.