Motley Crew

Guest BooBoo

steve harper is probably the only player there that gets my respect.

Beye is a quality player, a good leader and an excellent proffesional.... but I don't think he'll care THAT much if we go down.

I think he will, he is a model pro and I don't think relegation is something that will please him too much as he comes to the end of his career.

steve harper is probably the only player there that gets my respect.

Beye is a quality player, a good leader and an excellent proffesional.... but I don't think he'll care THAT much if we go down.

I think he will, he is a model pro and I don't think relegation is something that will please him too much as he comes to the end of his career.

I know he would, but i just don't think it would devestate him as much as a shearer, for example. (don't blame him obviously, he's never been a newcastle fan).

Once he moves on swiftly to another club, he will forget about it.

I can't describe how I feel when I watch Newcastle nowadays. I used to watch the club because I really gave a shit; the highs were amazing under Keegan and Robson, and the lows in between were painful but still hopeful. Even under Gullit I never stopped loving the club; even when the football was piss poor and the managerial decisions were mortifying... I still watched every match, and I still felt passion, and I still believed in the players on the pitch; because even though at times they really were piss poor, I still felt like they cared, and I could still identify with them. Even on the night of the 2-1 home defeat against Sunderland, I didn't come anywhere close to what I feel watching the team lately.

Even under Souness we were shit, but there was Shearer and Bellamy up front, and Robert on one wing and Nobby on the other, and no matter how badly they played I always gave a shit because these blokes were fucking heroes who had delivered more than their fair share of absolutely heart-stopping moments of delight in their Newcastle careers (even if said careers were coming to an end), and they warranted support. They forced me to give a fuck. They earned it.

Nowadays I look at the likes of Martins, Owen, Butt, Smith (every player in our squad, basically -- just to save me the hassle of listing them), and I just can't identify with them... They're not heroes; they haven't done anything to earn admiration. All they've earned from me is apathy, at best. Abhorrence would probably be more fitting of them though, for what they've done to the club. You can blame owners, managers, coaches, banners and whatever else you may wish, but the players are what it really comes down to. The tactics may be wrong, the coaching may be poor, the leadership may be terrible; but none of those things excuse heartlessness.  These are professional footballers. They should be able to motivate themselves playing under the guidance of a fucking three-legged cow when they are in a relegation battle.

They are gutless, and watching Newcastle nowadays is no longer hurtful or painful, it's completely and utterly alien -- like watching a sequel to your favourite movie which is released years after the first, and realising that the story has changed, it has new writers and a new director, and most importantly, the heroes that you loved so much in the first movie have been replaced by bumbling idiots. The only thing that remains similar is the title, but that alone isn't enough to make you give a shit about it.

If we'd been relegated under Gullit, Souness or Roeder, I would have been absolutely gutted; devastated; heartbroken... Right now, towards these players, I just don't feel that way. This isn't the Newcastle United Football Club that I grew up watching, it's some fake, distant imposter of a club, and while I still feel a twinge inside my mind which says "BE SAD NOW", the instruction feels forced and logical rather than emotional.

Anyway, that's just my two pennies worth on our plight, since I agreed with BooBoo's sentiments... I shall slink back to the safety of the Lost thread now.  :aww:

Waddle was spot on when he repeated what we have all been saying: this team has no legs, they would get outrun by a lot of pub teams.

The very nub of it all. Never mind tactics, skill, motivation and all the rest if you cant run for 90mins at this level, forget it.

Butt set the line on Gerrards first shot on goal, Butt losed a 1-on-1 about 5 yards into Liverpools half, Gerrard started running and Butt kind of jogged a couple of yards behind him not to arsed, Gerrard could aim his way towards the goal and hammered a great shot wich Harper saved just about.

That was the game today, who in their right mind let Alonso and Gerrard take shots just outside the penaltybox without putting pressure on them?

Agger had plenty of time to line one up too. Mental.

Butt set the line on Gerrards first shot on goal, Butt losed a 1-on-1 about 5 yards into Liverpools half, Gerrard started running and Butt kind of jogged a couple of yards behind him not to arsed, Gerrard could aim his way towards the goal and hammered a great shot wich Harper saved just about.

That was the game today, who in their right mind let Alonso and Gerrard take shots just outside the penaltybox without putting pressure on them?

Agger had plenty of time to line one up too. Mental.

Closing players down has always been a problem. I'm actually still angry from when Giles Barnes scored at SJP for Derby last season, about four players just turned their backs as he had all the time in the world to blast it past Given. We still haven't got the basics right, we can't close down, pass effectively, track runners, players are afraid to shoot and the goalkeeper has clearly been at the all you can eat restaurant, while his defence need therapy.

Oh dear.

Closing players down and getting in their faces is seemingly something all the lower-placed clubs can do (and in most cases it's 90% of their gameplan), yet we cannot. It's either the management telling them not to do it or they simply can't be arsed.

Guest firetotheworks

If we'd been relegated under Gullit, Souness or Roeder, I would have been absolutely gutted; devastated; heartbroken... Right now, towards these players, I just don't feel that way. This isn't the Newcastle United Football Club that I grew up watching, it's some fake, distant imposter of a club, and while I still feel a twinge inside my mind which says "BE SAD NOW", the instruction feels forced and logical rather than emotional.

Excellently put, thats exactly how I feel.

I can't describe how I feel when I watch Newcastle nowadays. I used to watch the club because I really gave a shit; the highs were amazing under Keegan and Robson, and the lows in between were painful but still hopeful. Even under Gullit I never stopped loving the club; even when the football was piss poor and the managerial decisions were mortifying... I still watched every match, and I still felt passion, and I still believed in the players on the pitch; because even though at times they really were piss poor, I still felt like they cared, and I could still identify with them. Even on the night of the 2-1 home defeat against Sunderland, I didn't come anywhere close to what I feel watching the team lately.

Even under Souness we were shit, but there was Shearer and Bellamy up front, and Robert on one wing and Nobby on the other, and no matter how badly they played I always gave a shit because these blokes were fucking heroes who had delivered more than their fair share of absolutely heart-stopping moments of delight in their Newcastle careers (even if said careers were coming to an end), and they warranted support. They forced me to give a fuck. They earned it.

Nowadays I look at the likes of Martins, Owen, Butt, Smith (every player in our squad, basically -- just to save me the hassle of listing them), and I just can't identify with them... They're not heroes; they haven't done anything to earn admiration. All they've earned from me is apathy, at best. Abhorrence would probably be more fitting of them though, for what they've done to the club. You can blame owners, managers, coaches, banners and whatever else you may wish, but the players are what it really comes down to. The tactics may be wrong, the coaching may be poor, the leadership may be terrible; but none of those things excuse heartlessness.  These are professional footballers. They should be able to motivate themselves playing under the guidance of a fucking three-legged cow when they are in a relegation battle.

They are gutless, and watching Newcastle nowadays is no longer hurtful or painful, it's completely and utterly alien -- like watching a sequel to your favourite movie which is released years after the first, and realising that the story has changed, it has new writers and a new director, and most importantly, the heroes that you loved so much in the first movie have been replaced by bumbling idiots. The only thing that remains similar is the title, but that alone isn't enough to make you give a shit about it.

Anyway, that's just my two pennies worth on our plight, since I agreed with BooBoo's sentiments... I shall slink back to the safety of the Lost thread now.  :aww:

Thanks. Saved me alot of typing :thup: