Say we do survive?

BONTEMPI

If we stay up, he'll probably spend fuck all again, and we'll be in the same mess as we are now.

Relegation would be like a divorce - painful at first, but better than being stuck in an abusive relationship.

When we secure safety, we'll celebrate it too hard and he'll think we enjoyed the ride. Then he'll set it up so that Shearer quits in September, Kinnear and Hughton take the job and Temuri keeps us up.

We'll repeat this process until Shola takes the seat full time in 2035, immediately following his retirement after scoring his 100th goal.

On a more serious note, if NUFC stay up, it's not about the figures in terms of how much is needed. I think most people would agree that we need to replace quite a few players, and that we need to add more on top of that. Well... what is even more interesting is that IF we survive, and Ashley decides not to spend or change his policies, then I think that will hurt the club more because fans will be so fed up with everything, that the won't  engage in any sort of engagement.

Guest Schmocky

When we secure safety, we'll celebrate it too hard and he'll think we enjoyed the ride. Then he'll set it up so that Shearer quits in September, Kinnear and Hughton take the job and Temuri keeps us up.

We'll repeat this process until Shola takes the seat full time in 2035, immediately following his retirement after scoring his 100th goal.

I wouldnt joke about it as it prob will come true!!

I reckon Owen, Martins, Gutierrez, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique, Nolan, Barton, Xisco (despite seeing nothing of him), Beye will all be looking to leave.

Players I would keep and I think would stay would be Viduka, Duff, Butt and Taylor.

Unfortunately that leaves us with no squad. Would like, therefore, to see Lua-Lua, Carrol, Ranger and maybe a few others put into the first team or make regular appearences.

We may need quite a bit of money if we go down tbh  :undecided:

Hopefully Gutierrez, Bassong, Enrique, Baton and Beye stay. Rest can be sold to get extra funds.

I would keep Viduka but only on a pay as you play basis as we are a better team when he is fit to play. Duff and Butt need gotten rid of to be honest, don't know why you would keep them. And depending on if that is S Taylor I would keep him as a back up player, but would get rid of R taylor as he has brought nothing to this club, except bad performances!!!

The reserves should start getting games in the first team, I dont see why we dont play a few of them in the cups giving some of our first team a rest for weekend games and letting the young'uns prove a point. As we have some quality in our reserves.

He'll promise Shearer a £60m battlechest, and when the window closes we'll only have signed Kitson and De Ridder because of lacking funds.

What in the name of holy hell is a battlechest!?

Like a warchest but doesn't last as long.

:lol:

We stay up - £8-10m + player sales

We go down - £8-10m + player sales

I was going to say this, but if we go down I can't see us spending anything beyond that raised from sales.

Guest BooBoo

I wonder what the dialogue will be between Shearer and Owen if we stay up and Shearer remains in charge.

Al- Fancy staying Mick?

MO- Nope. See ya.

I wonder what the dialogue will be between Shearer and Owen if we stay up and Shearer remains in charge.

Al- Fancy staying Mick?

MO- Nope. See ya.

:lol:

Probably. Shearer may try convincing him though, and might try to force his hand by insisting the club offer him a better* deal.

*Than the previous offer, obviously.

There's people in this thread peddling the view that there's no point us staying up anyway as next season is a write off too.

Freddy Shepherd talked a right load of shit when he said Geordie's never give up and have a fighting spirit. The current state of this forum suggests otherwise.

There's people in this thread peddling the view that there's no point us staying up anyway as next season is a write off too.

Freddy Shepherd talked a right load of shit when he said Geordie's never give up and have a fighting spirit. The current state of this forum suggests otherwise.

If Ashley hasn't learnt from the mistakes of this season I don't think it's overly pessimistic to assume things won't be much different. We need a major overhaul of the squad and that requires significant funds and a decent manager in charge of everything.

The only positive we have to go on so far is that the latter seems to have been taken care of (ie getting rid of the DoF role), but even that is a waste of time if they bring Kinnear back.

If Ashley hasn't learnt from the mistakes of this season I don't think it's overly pessimistic to assume things won't be much different. We need a major overhaul of the squad and that requires significant funds and a decent manager in charge of everything.

The only positive we have to go on so far is that the latter seems to have been taken care of (ie getting rid of the DoF role), but even that is a waste of time if they bring Kinnear back.

Say we managed not to get relegated, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Shearer would stay. Do you not agree that we wouldn't be in our current predicament if Keegan had managed all this season? I'd have a lot more faith in Shearer managing us than Kinnear. Money helps a lot but look at what Everton have achieved on a shoe string budget with a decent manager. If Shearer is given a chance he obviously has a long term plan to sort this club out. Imagine the grief Ashley is going to get if we go down. Now imagine the grief he would get if he brought Kinnear back to manage in the Championship.

Say we managed not to get relegated, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Shearer would stay. Do you not agree that we wouldn't be in our current predicament if Keegan had managed all this season? I'd have a lot more faith in Shearer managing us than Kinnear. Money helps a lot but look at what Everton have achieved on a shoe string budget with a decent manager. If Shearer is given a chance he obviously has a long term plan to sort this club out. Imagine the grief Ashley is going to get if we go down. Now imagine the grief he would get if he brought Kinnear back to manage in the Championship.

I don't think we'd be quite in this position no, but that still doesn't mean the squad isn't lacking in balance and quality. Considering the players that are walking away this summer (or may want away), if we are to avoid another struggle then significant funds are essential.

There's nothing to suggest Ashley will provide those funds, that's all.

I don't think we'd be quite in this position no, but that still doesn't mean the squad isn't lacking in balance and quality. Considering the players that are walking away this summer (or may want away), if we are to avoid another struggle then significant funds are essential.

There's nothing to suggest Ashley will provide those funds, that's all.

I agree the squad isn't good. My point was people are writing off next season before we even know what league we are going to be in. I'd rather have another struggle in the Premiership next season with Shearer in charge on a tight budget than be relegated this season. If Ashley hasn't learned his lesson his asset is going to become a liability.

Guest Brummiemag

Not read the thread, but the bottom line is that if Ashley had invested say £20 million in January we wouldnt be in this position. He has not got a clue, the rumours are that he will sell the club for £120 milion if we go down.

Its economic madness, why the fuck did he not invest in players in January?  No matter if we stay up or go down is there any reason or expectation to think Ashley will spend any money next season?

Pyrrhic victory?

Guest Chubby Jason

Ashley will give one his famous -£6 milion transfer budgets, we'll bid for a couple of players on the last day of the window, knowing full well we won't get either of them and end up signing no one but selling at least one of our better players, I'm guessing Bassong.

Guest Phil K

I believe they will flounder in the Championship

Maybe JUST get into the play-offs in season one,

Remember - there will be rats leaving THIS sinking ship in their droves. And we already have a paper thin squad.

WE can't leave. We're lumbered.

Pyrrhic victory?

I had to look that up.

"A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with devastating cost to the victor."

Guest neesy111

i want everyone out bar bassong, enrique, beye and steven taylor

this club has a gentleman's club feeling about it, it need's to be stripped to be leaner and more efficient feeling about it, this includes the first team squad

we have a strike force that earn's half of what hull's total wage bill for this season will be, unbelievable and sickening

owen £6-7 million

martins £4-5 million

viduka 3-4 million

our strikers have cost this club around £1/2 million a goal from what they've scored all together on wages alone

i want everyone out bar bassong, enrique, beye and steven taylor

this club has a gentleman's club feeling about it, it need's to be stripped to be leaner and more efficient feeling about it, this includes the first team squad

Agree with that but I'd keep Guthrie as well. If we go down we have to make a concerted effort to keep those 5, plus Krul, Harper, possibly Xisco and the good kids.

We'd then have some sort of base to build from.