Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 03/05/09 - post match reaction from page 17

Dave

I know I am going to get flamed to death for this, but I am starting to think that being relegated may not be the worst thing (in the grand scheme of things) to happen to this club.

We have a squad of total shite that are way to old and don't give a flying-fuck about our club.  We need an opportunity to completely clear out the ranks and bring in a new squad of up-and-comers.  Releasing our high priced current squad will mean we can get in new players that are cheaper, which means we can have more squad depth, and we can bring in players that are willing to bust a gut to play in the PL.

We need a complete top-to-bottom clean-out of the club and that just can't happen in the PL.

We need a clearout regardless... it will be much easier to attract good players if we're still in the Premiership and have the finances that come with it.

This "drop down a division to get the shit out" argument is nonsense because we'll only be able to attract shit to replace them!

Sure.... it would be much easier to achieve a full team clear-out if we stayed in the PL... but this relies on one thing... having the financial clout to buy the players (ala Chelsea).  Now... in light of the fact that we don't have that clout there is no way we can buy our way out of this problem, which means the best we could hope for is the standard 3 players out, 2 players in we have done for the last few transfer windows.  Since this hasn't been working all that well so far I was thinking maybe it was time to try something else.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....  This is Insane!

Bassong was very iffy today IMO.

Might just be an outsider's perspective but I think he's been iffy in rather a lot of games this year. Not saying he's the cause of problems but I don't see much to warrant the praise he's been getting, albeit he has produced some solid performances this season.

Cant believe Barton got sent off, what a twat. He could have been very important for us aswell, endless individual errors

When you get to see the replays, you get to see it was not worthy of a red card. It was the ref that was a twat. Sure, Barton shouldn't have done a tackle like that. But it was not a red card.

I know I am going to get flamed to death for this, but I am starting to think that being relegated may not be the worst thing (in the grand scheme of things) to happen to this club.

We have a squad of total s**** that are way to old and don't give a flying-f*** about our club.  We need an opportunity to completely clear out the ranks and bring in a new squad of up-and-comers.  Releasing our high priced current squad will mean we can get in new players that are cheaper, which means we can have more squad depth, and we can bring in players that are willing to bust a gut to play in the PL.

We need a complete top-to-bottom clean-out of the club and that just can't happen in the PL.

It can be done in the prem man, the last thing you want is a relegation.

Which team has previously done a complete squad clear-out & replacement whilst staying in the PL (without the need for a mad billionaire to bankroll everything)?

what happens after the clearout? we suddenly have better players? all that will happen is the best players leave, we're left with the s*** we can't sell and we fill the rest of the squad with crap championship players. rather than a 'clear out' you should call it 'replacing the players we have now with worse players'.

Quite a few of the players are as bad as they are because of our position. It cant be a coincidence that under keegan half of them turned decent again, dont think theyre showing their true level of performance at this point. If we stayed up & had a fresh start, take the pressure of relegation away & quite a few of them would more than likely improve. Shame that seems unlikely now.  

There are still some players this season who have simply been out of it from the start though, no excuses there.

Cant believe Barton got sent off, what a t***. He could have been very important for us aswell, endless individual errors

That was no red card tackle by Barton a yellow at the most

Shearer's made some glaring errors again tbh, he's shown potential but tbh he is way out of his depth.

Elabourate.

Where do i start, he's shown potential in having a decent starting line up and making a correct substitution.

However...

He should have known that Duff would be left stranded a lot and therefore should have started Gutierrez.

He seems to be oblivious to the fact that the reason we lose games is through Smith and Butt playing together. They are awful they offer nothing forward and are equally as bad defensively, they are supposed to be anchors but all they do is run round tire themselves out and leave gaping holes in front of our defence. The reason Gerrard had so much room is because, particularly in the first half hey ran out trying to protect our wingers and left the whole middle open. Granted this goes hand in hand with my first point that there wasn't going to be enough cover initially and Gutierrez is a very good tracker.

Thirdly is his handling of the team after half time, the change of formation was questionble as i think he should have brought Gutierrez on for a straight Loven swap and keep the current formation working at least for a few minutes. Instead 4-4-2 and Barton our only cretive midfielder, who actually created things in the first half is shifted to RW? wtf? if he wanted some more defensive cover on that flank play Smith there don't waste our attacking talent. Consequently Barton has got frustrated and hit out, and harshly imo was sent off. Hopefully on review he only gets one game ban as he got the ball first, so it's not deemed as too 'dangerous', but again his reputation may preceed him.

Granted for the next game he will start with Smith and Butt, and we'll again not win.

Guest firetotheworks

Bassong was very iffy today IMO.

Might just be an outsider's perspective but I think he's been iffy in rather a lot of games this year. Not saying he's the cause of problems but I don't see much to warrant the praise he's been getting, albeit he has produced some solid performances this season.

You have Jagielka to compare him to...Bassong is like having Bobby Moore in our defence compared to what we're used to.

We have a squad of total s**** that are way to old and don't give a flying-f*** about our club.  We need an opportunity to completely clear out the ranks and bring in a new squad of up-and-comers.  Releasing our high priced current squad will mean we can get in new players that are cheaper, which means we can have more squad depth, and we can bring in players that are willing to bust a gut to play in the PL.

We need a clearout regardless... it will be much easier to attract good players if we're still in the Premiership and have the finances that come with it.

This "drop down a division to get the s*** out" argument is nonsense because we'll only be able to attract s*** to replace them!

Sure.... it would be much easier to achieve a full team clear-out if we stayed in the PL... but this relies on one thing... having the financial clout to buy the players (ala Chelsea).  Now... in light of the fact that we don't have that clout there is no way we can buy our way out of this problem, which means the best we could hope for is the standard 3 players out, 2 players in we have done for the last few transfer windows.  Since this hasn't been working all that well so far I was thinking maybe it was time to try something else.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....  This is Insane!

Eh?

Why do yo assume that we wwould need Chelsea style spending to build a new team/clear out.

SBR done it over a few seasons for us.

Cant believe Barton got sent off, what a twat. He could have been very important for us aswell, endless individual errors

When you get to see the replays, you get to see it was not worthy of a red card. It was the ref that was a twat. Sure, Barton shouldn't have done a tackle like that. But it was not a red card.

Thats what I thought, but as soon as Alonso came off in a stretcher that was the end of our appeal.

Guest LucaAltieri

3 more points and we are safe.  Hull and the Smogs will not get any more points, I HOPE

Optimistic. I don't know how we get those 3 points mind.

5-0-5.

the bloke has NO football brain, he cant read the game going on around him, how many touches did he have in 2nd half 3?

So our whole clubs future is being flushed away because martins cant control a ball ?

I want some of what you're smoking.

And I don't take drugs.

I have to say never have I seen such a gutless performance from team in a long time, it was pathetic to watch. In the second half Liverpool were just cruising, it was embarrassing.

Thats what I thought, but as soon as Alonso came off in a stretcher that was the end of our appeal.

Alonso fell pretty awkwardly. It was still not a red though, you could have a shoulder against shoulder situation where one player falls down awkwardly and get injured.

It can be done in the prem man, the last thing you want is a relegation.

Which team has previously done a complete squad clear-out & replacement whilst staying in the PL (without the need for a mad billionaire to bankroll everything)?

what happens after the clearout? we suddenly have better players? all that will happen is the best players leave, we're left with the shit we can't sell and we fill the rest of the squad with crap championship players. rather than a 'clear out' you should call it 'replacing the players we have now with worse players'.

No, we probably have worse players after the clear-out... but, we're also playing in a lower league who also have comparatively worse players too.  But, as a gain, we have players who are going to bust a gut for the team and because our wage bill has dropped significantly we can probably deepen the squad, getting in 3 players for every 2 disposed of.  This will mean our new young, up and coming, players will have to compete for their spots.

When looking at such a plan you need to take everything in to consideration.  We go down a league, we get less money, we spend much less tho' because our wage bill drops massively, we get in young players who are less technically experienced but can and will run all day and they play against other teams with Championship standard players.  Our team then jells together, and when we get back in to the EPL we come up with a squad that is playing well, that works as a team and that other players want to join.

Guest neesy111

everyone at the club needs to take responsability for what has happened this season, saddly no-one id big enough to stand-up

And I don't take drugs.

You don't need drugs, you just need slow-mo replays. Foot hits ball, second foot comes after, as you can't leave a foot behind. Alonso gets caught, and falls.

And I don't take drugs.

You don't need drugs, you just need slow-mo replays.

Just seen about ten.