Big teams going down

TRon

everyone likes to see the big clubs come unstuck. if it were spurs or everton i'd think it hilarious so there's no reason why they shouldn't.

i don't go with this feeling of "best to have the big clubs in the top league" thing either. give wigan 10 years in the prem and us 10 years out of it and we'll not be bigger. the big clubs in the big league type thinking is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Guest dover

I took pleasure in Leeds going down, but now I wish they were backin the prem. Best game in recent memory beating them 4-3 at Elland Road and forgetting I was in their end when shearer scored...twats!

Not that we've won out for ages like but we still have more trophies then most of the other teams in the Premiership.

So have a few teams in the championship and lower.

We're not a big team, big teams have the whole package of fanbase, leadership, prestige and so on that keeps them challenging at the top every year and we aren't even up there every decade.

Er yeah some of the teams in the Championship do, which is the point of the thread :lol:  How many big clubs are in this league like?, 3 or 4?  :dowie:

What they won in the past means nowt though. Who regards Preston, Burnley, Huddersfield as big clubs these days?

Well nobody but then those clubs haven't really won much in the way of major trophies even in the past and lets not even get started on the other aspects of the clubs (stadium ect).

Cant say I took great pleasure in seeing Leeds go down. I've never had a disliking for them. It did make me chuckle a wee bit at the time but otherwise I've just wanted them to return to the top flight as their a proper club. Proper history and great fan base.

The likes of Us, Man City, Wolves, West Ham, Leeds, Forest and Sheffield Wednesday are all in the same category of 'sleeping giants', imo. So, naturally I'd like to see all of us in the top flight together. We all have great tradition and history and good fan bases etc.

everyone likes to see the big clubs come unstuck. if it were spurs or everton i'd think it hilarious so there's no reason why they shouldn't.

i don't go with this feeling of "best to have the big clubs in the top league" thing either. give wigan 10 years in the prem and us 10 years out of it and we'll not be bigger. the big clubs in the big league type thinking is a self fulfilling prophecy.

The likes of Wigan aren't bigger then some Championship clubs are now and I can't see how they ever will be.

The likes of Wigan aren't bigger then some Championship clubs are now and I can't see how they ever will be.

they are now bigger than the likes of forest in all but history. huddersfield were once a big club and bolton were one of the biggest in the country. blackpool were big aswell.

In terms of trophies won we are still something like the 12th most successfull club in the history of English football.

Think we're actually 8th

Well there you go then, even by that standard we are a big club.

In terms of trophies won we are still something like the 12th most successfull club in the history of English football.

Think we're actually 8th

Well there you go then, even by that standard we are a big club.

Aye, aye. Considering we've won nowt for the last 40 years that's pretty damn impressive!

I'm very proud of our clubs history, and just because we haven't won anything for donkeys years doesn't mean we should be ashamed of our history. Imo, we've got a very unique, rich history that most clubs in this country cant match.

i didn't really want to see leeds go down. i always thought that they played decent football under o'leary (well what i saw anyhow) like viduka putting 4 past liverpool.

Leeds have quite a proud history and I they had a very passionate support base. Elland road had a cracking atmosphere when they were in the Prem and I think the top division will be a better place when they return. Just my opinion though, I don't expect everyone will agree.

i didn't really want to see leeds go down. i always thought that they played decent football under o'leary (well what i saw anyhow) like viduka putting 4 past liverpool.

Leeds have quite a proud history and I they had a very passionate support base. Elland road had a cracking atmosphere when they were in the Prem and I think the top division will be a better place when they return. Just my opinion though, I don't expect everyone will agree.

I agree, Its gone beyond a joke now, would love to see them back tbh.

they are now bigger than the likes of forest in all but history. huddersfield were once a big club and bolton were one of the biggest in the country. blackpool were big aswell.

Well they're more attractive by default due to being in the Premiership of course (Wigan over Forest), but that's the only reason, the moment they dropped out of the league that would change.

Well they're more attractive by default due to being in the Premiership of course (Wigan over Forest), but that's the only reason, the moment they dropped out of the league that would change.

and thats how clubs get to be seen as bigger or smaller.

Come on who wasn't actually pleased to see Spurs in the bottom 3 at the start of this season and hoping they'd go down.

Haven't got anything really against Spurs, but like someone said, who gives a real toss if West Brom/Barnsley/Bradford etc gets relegated - its expected.

A 'big' and established team goes down, then its big news. Was gutted when Everton didn't get relegated during their 'dogs of war' season, again, nothing against them personally, but just for comedy value alone it would have been great.

Guest Ironskull

I certainly wouldn't put Leeds, Forest or WHU in the same league as you lot. They each had a brief flowering once upon a time, and that's it. On the other hand, yes to Man C, Wolves, Sheff Weds and Spurs, the key being several successful and attractive teams throughout English footballing history, and the fact that each one has established significant milestones in their own right - each one has given big-time to English football down the years.

Guest gggg

Sorry but Leeds were the dominant English team here and in Europe for a decade in the 60's and 70's, and were the third great dynasty (to use a wanky American term) English football has seen post war behind Liverpool and Man Utd. Apart from that they only last won the league 17 years ago* and played in a Champions League semi final in the last decade*. None of us, West Ham, Forest, Man City, Wolves, Sheff Wednesday or Spurs can say we had a "brief flowering" like that.

* The sad thing is we COULD have done both of those more recently, but we didn't.

I remember thinking it was pretty funny when Leeds went down, but thinking about it now I'd much rather have them in than Middlesboro, Bolton, Wigan, Hull, Stoke etc.

Id have had a little giggle if Spurs had went down, but that would be because of them being media darlings, and them being tipped for the champions league being based on nothing.

giggle?

By the way, Stoke don't belong on that list. Stoke is a decent sized club with a very strong fanbase, unlike the others.

I remember thinking it was pretty funny when Leeds went down, but thinking about it now I'd much rather have them in than Middlesboro, Bolton, Wigan, Hull, Stoke etc.

Id have had a little giggle if Spurs had went down, but that would be because of them being media darlings, and them being tipped for the champions league being based on nothing.

giggle?

By the way, Stoke don't belong on that list. Stoke is a decent sized club with a very strong fanbase, unlike the others.

the club is basically a collection of arseholes, from top to bottom