Big teams going down

TRon

If it wasn't us in this position but someone like say, Man City would you take pleasure in it? I know a lot of people on this site were wanting Spurs to go down for example. I've always felt regret when I see the likes of Leeds going to the wall and I would like to see them back in the Premier. Similarly I'm always rooting for Wolves to bounce back up, and to some extent Birmingham (sorry brummie). It's easy to gloat but for me playing against the bigger clubs is/was what it is all about.

It's funny at the time but the bigger clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc should definitely be in the upper leagues instead of shite like Wigan, Bolton and Middlesbrough who can't even fill their ground.

I am not ashamed to admit I would be rooting for a Spurs or someone to go down if the roles were reversed. Similarily, I still think it's hilarious what's happened to Leeds.

I expect the rest of the nation to feel the same amount of fun in our plight as I would in teams such as Leeds.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember thinking it was pretty funny when Leeds went down, but thinking about it now I'd much rather have them in than Middlesboro, Bolton, Wigan, Hull, Stoke etc.

Id have had a little giggle if Spurs had went down, but that would be because of them being media darlings, and them being tipped for the champions league being based on nothing.

Like Dave, I've found it funny at the time, but then missed them after.  I definitely was amused by Leeds, because it was such a rapid fall, but I'd have them back now and was disappointed they lost in the play-offs the other week.  I've never taken great pleasure though at any relegation apart from Sunderland.

I should add though I would love it to see Sunderland go down...it was mint the last few times. But then I'm not sure they count as a big team anyway. Even their fan base is only relatively big because they try and ape us in every way, sad bastards.

Guest ovesbar

Are we a big team? we have a big fanbase but thats all thats big now sadly.

Depends on your definition of big.

In terms of trophies? No.

League position? No.

Fanbase? One of the biggest clubs in europe.

Financial? Topp 20 in the world.

Media coverage? I would think top 10 in europe.

Basically we have all the foundations to be a big and successful club, but years and years of bad descisions and management leave us where we are today.

Are we a big team? we have a big fanbase but thats all thats big now sadly.

Depends on your definition of big.

In terms of trophies? No.

League position? No.

Fanbase? One of the biggest clubs in europe.

Financial? Topp 20 in the world.

Media coverage? I would think top 10 in europe.

Basically we have all the foundations to be a big and successful club, but years and years of bad descisions and management leave us where we are today.

Like most of out squad, never fulfilled out full potential.

Not that we've won out for ages like but we still have more trophies then most of the other teams in the Premiership.

Aye 6 FA cups, 4 Leauge champs and one of not that many English clubs that have won a Euro trophy. Plus countless times runners up in all competitions.

In terms of trophies we are most definately a big club, it's just they all happened before most of us were born.

Guest gggg

Not that we've won out for ages like but we still have more trophies then most of the other teams in the Premiership.

So have a few teams in the championship and lower.

We're not a big team, big teams have the whole package of fanbase, leadership, prestige and so on that keeps them challenging at the top every year and we aren't even up there every decade.

Getting pissed off with other fans on another forum so desperate to see us down.  Their main reason is our fans actually aren't that great, and we're not big because we've not a won a cup in so long.

I don't get how one minute they can say our fans are crap, and then say are team is crap.  So if we've not won a cup in so long but still get great attendances, doesn't that say something about the fans (and maybe the size of the club that we can 'overcome' something as fundamental as a lack of success).

It's always fun to see them going down tbh, but ideally they'll bounce back eventually cos it's more fun with the likes of Leeds, Forest and such in the top division.

Everyone'll take great delight in watching us go down, and so they should because if ever a club deserved to go down it's us this season.

I'd imagine most will hope we come back sooner rather than later though, as I imagine I would if someone like Villa, Everton or even Spurs were to suffer the same fate.

Nothing good about a "big club" going down. Football is just more fun when the teams with big fanbases and great histories are battling each other. Newcastle-Leeds is always going to be a more exciting occasion than Newcastle-Wigan.

Still I didn't feel bad when Leeds fell off, because they had fully earned it. I think that's the way sensible fans will feel about us if it happens. It will not be a good thing to see us down, but the club have fully earned it with years of ineptitude under two different ownerships and a ludicrous number of managers.

I do feel bad when clubs try to be ambitious and it just falls apart. Like with Real Zaragoza or Lens last year. Especially if it is a decent club with a past.

Guest ovesbar

I'm amazed that there are more treads about us in sunderlands forums than about sunderland.

Being a norwegian fan, I actually get a lot of support from other clubs fans, saying PL wont be the same without us etc.

Of course it's funny when bigger teams go down. I enjoyed Leeds and West Ham going down (and wanted West Ham to go a 2nd time as I hate them). Obviously people are looking at it as our turn now, but hopefully we'll disappoint them for once this season.

Guest fraser

Before members of the Toon Army get hysterical here, please let me explain – it’s nothing personal. It’s just that yours is the biggest club in trouble. To see you go down would be… well, it would be funny.

Taken from the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/ian-winwood/2009/05/22/why-many-secretly-hope-for-newcastle-relegation-including-me-115875-21380353/

What some buffoons (especially those down the road) don't realise is that the fuss they're making shows that they do think of us as a big club. Nobody wants Sunderland relegated because nobody's too bothered about them; they're even bracketed with Hull as one of the 'other' clubs involved in this.

Personally I'd prefer it if Sunderland stayed up with us and the north-east could have its rivalry based on football excellence rather than parochial point-scoring.

I guess the league would become very boring if the same teams who came up all went straight back down, things have to change at some point Man U will fade away again and another club will rule for a while.

We're not a big team, big teams have the whole package of fanbase, leadership, prestige and so on that keeps them challenging at the top every year and we aren't even up there every decade.

Er yeah some of the teams in the Championship do, which is the point of the thread.  How many big clubs are in this league like?, 3 or 4?  :dowie:

I realise there are other fans gloating on message boards and on the media sites but they always come accross as pathetic to me, that's why I have no desire to be like them. Some of you who are saying we aren't a big club might ask yourself why it's such a big story for them in that case? I can guarantee there'll be plenty tuning in on SKY Sports 1 on Sunday to see if this club (which isn't a big club apparently) goes down.

Guest gggg

Er yeah some of the teams in the Championship do, which is the point of the thread :lol:  How many big clubs are in this league like?, 3 or 4?  :dowie:

What they won in the past means nowt though. Who regards Preston, Burnley, Huddersfield as big clubs these days?

Guest firetotheworks

I miss the Premier League when it had teams like Wednesday, Notts Forest, Leeds and even teams like Coventry and Leicester.

Much better than the likes of Wigan, Hull, Stoke etc..

Too right.