Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Woodgate didn't have a weakness in his game, and was head and shoulders above any CB that I've seen at the club.

Not that that is saying too much. Over the years, for some reason, we haven't seen many top defenders. When you think of our attacking talent - Shearer, Beardsley, Gazza, Waddle etc - it's a bit frustrating.

I am old enough to remember when sweepers were all the rage - Baresi et al.

If the sweeper system was back in vogue, Colo would be a worldwide icon. He's as good a footballing centre-back as I've seen, but suffers against the English battering ram.

Guest EastEndGeordie

Woodgate didn't have a weakness in his game, and was head and shoulders above any CB that I've seen at the club.

Not that that is saying too much. Over the years, for some reason, we haven't seen many top defenders. When you think of our attacking talent - Shearer, Beardsley, Gazza, Waddle etc - it's a bit frustrating.

What about the dynamic duo of Bramble and Boumsong?. :lol:

Depor used to play him as a DM quite a lot didn't they? Before we signed Tiote I was always harping on about how I'd love to see him at DM, second best passer of the ball in our side imo.

He is our best central defender and needs to stay there.

He has played DM for us, only once iirc, he was appalling.

As far as defending went Woodgate didn't have any real weaknesses, however he did/does have massive weaknesses in his body.  Unlike Coloccini, who seems to be made out of the same stuff the Terminator was made out of :lol:

Depor used to play him as a DM quite a lot didn't they? Before we signed Tiote I was always harping on about how I'd love to see him at DM, second best passer of the ball in our side imo.

:kinnear:

Guest EastEndGeordie

All this talk about DM, has anybody been watching Fabrico when he goes near the goal? He scored a belter against spurs and almost scored against Blackburn. Nevermind bringing in a replacement for Carroll we've already got one.

He is our best central defender and needs to stay there.

He has played DM for us, only once iirc, he was appalling.

Yeah, we know that now. Wouldn't consider playing him anywhere other than CB.

Guest neesy111

Ah, July 2010. When everyone thought he was s***.

And is he?No,and half the idiotic/inbred support will never realise a decent player until it's too late.

Spanner.

Reading this thread from the first page should prove interesting. Not that I have like but just from memory.

Best thing to do is not ever make your opinion known on a player but then call anyone up who said something negative no matter when or what context it was in about a player [/stu]

Lazy journalism, best thing to do is "not ever make a ridiculously OTT knee-jerk reaction everytime we don't win 3-0 or better" [/rational fan]

We got relegated in that season, do you think fans were going to praise our players in a season where we only won 7 times in 38 games.  :idiot2:

And is he?No,and half the idiotic/inbred support will never realise a decent player until it's too late.

Spanner.

Reading this thread from the first page should prove interesting. Not that I have like but just from memory.

Best thing to do is not ever make your opinion known on a player but then call anyone up who said something negative no matter when or what context it was in about a player [/stu]

Lazy journalism, best thing to do is "not ever make a ridiculously OTT knee-jerk reaction everytime we don't win 3-0 or better" [/rational fan]

We got relegated in that season, do you think fans were going to praise our players in a season where we only won 7 times in 38 games.  :idiot2:

Some of the guys here did see a player in there, similarly with Enrique. Does that make them the idiot or...?

Guest neesy111

Spanner.

We got relegated in that season, do you think fans were going to praise our players in a season where we only won 7 times in 38 games.   :idiot2:

Some of the guys here did see a player in there, similarly with Enrique. Does that make them the idiot or...?

There was a player in him, but quite a few of those performances in that last season were inexcusable by him and many of his collegues no matter what the environment was.  Any criticism of our players in that relegation season was totally justified despite if it was their first season in the premiership or not.

Spanner.

There was a player in him, but quite a few of those performances in that last season were inexcusable by him and many of his collegues no matter what the environment was.  Any criticism of our players in that relegation season was totally justified despite if it was their first season in the premiership or not.

If it's important for you to be right then ok. Let's move on.

Guest neesy111

Spanner.

We got relegated in that season, do you think fans were going to praise our players in a season where we only won 7 times in 38 games.   :idiot2:

There was a player in him, but quite a few of those performances in that last season were inexcusable by him and many of his collegues no matter what the environment was.  Any criticism of our players in that relegation season was totally justified despite if it was their first season in the premiership or not.

No, I'm just saying anyone who thinks that he didn't deserve any of the criticism is being a little naive in my opinion.  It's ok to blame the likes of Owen, Duff etc for our relegation but not the likes of coloccini etc when at the time they were all to blame imo.

Guest neesy111

I always rated Enrique, but I've admitted many times I thought Colo was shit. Very happy to be proved wrong.

That's basically what I've thought as well.

Spanner.

:lol: Sometimes I think you're just into a bit of S&M ;)

a) What reference do I make to the relegation season in my post?

b) Even if I was referring specifically to the torrents of abuse that Coloccini received throughout his first season here (funny Disco should mention context), why should that automatically mean that I'm wanting to "praise our players in a season where we got relegated"?

:)

Guest neesy111

Spanner.

b) Even if I was referring specifically to the torrents of abuse that Coloccini received throughout his first season here (funny Disco should mention context), why should that automatically mean that I'm wanting to "praise our players in a season where we got relegated"?

I was referring to the fact you said people moaning on that if we don't win 3-0 are on the players back.  We won 7 games in 38 which is an appalling record, do you think people are not going get on players backs.

Coloccini was a £10M CB and a full international, imo we should have expected a lot more than him in that 1st season especially when he was outclassed by a player that no-one even considered our number CB when he joined.

I've said this the last month, I've been proved wrong about him and I'll be the 1st one to admit that.

Managers and Players alike will get criticised when they are not performing and praised when they do.  That's the nature of football especially nowadays when player performances are scrutinised heavily.

Spanner.

I was referring to the fact you said people moaning on that if we don't win 3-0 are on the players back.  We won 7 games in 38 which is an appalling record, do you think people are not going get on players backs.

How do you link those two sentences?

Seemingly, I'm advocating not adopting a knee-jerk personality and you're promoting the NUFC bi-polar experience.

This would make sense, seeing as you're the premiere exponent of it...

Spanner.

There was a player in him, but quite a few of those performances in that last season were inexcusable by him and many of his collegues no matter what the environment was.  Any criticism of our players in that relegation season was totally justified despite if it was their first season in the premiership or not.

No, I'm just saying anyone who thinks that he didn't deserve any of the criticism is being a little naive in my opinion.  It's ok to blame the likes of Owen, Duff etc for our relegation but not the likes of coloccini etc when at the time they were all to blame imo.

This isn't about those who went with the mob mentality and jumped asll over Coloccini who had some difficult times early on. It's more an appreciation of those who were shrewd enough to see some quality in there despite the abuse being thrown around. Don't recall who they were but Teasy and Ronaldo come to mind.

Guest neesy111

Spanner.

No, I'm just saying anyone who thinks that he didn't deserve any of the criticism is being a little naive in my opinion.  It's ok to blame the likes of Owen, Duff etc for our relegation but not the likes of coloccini etc when at the time they were all to blame imo.

This isn't about those who went with the mob mentality and jumped asll over Coloccini who had some difficult times early on. It's more an appreciation of those who were shrewd enough to see some quality in there despite the abuse being thrown around. Don't recall who they were but Teasy and Ronaldo come to mind.

True.

Guest neesy111

Spanner.

How do you link those two sentences?

Seemingly, I'm advocating not adopting a knee-jerk personality and you're promoting the NUFC bi-polar experience.

This would make sense, seeing as you're the premiere exponent of it...

NUFC bi-polar experience, like the fact any fans at other clubs don't react the same way NUFC fans do in regards to their team.  All football fans react differently to how they see things.  Not everyone is like you or me for that matter, and thank goodness they aren't.

If everyone didn't react to situations, this forum would be fucking dreadful.