Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My spurs mates Facebook status is "just a poor man's Coloccini" I assume that's aimed at Chelsea's new permed one.

Thought he had a very good game, until injury time tonight.

Hoping that "You're just a shit Coloccini!" will be sung when we play Chelsea.

He does look good, but I think he may be a bit too confident at the moment, can see it backfire on him eventually.

The fella admits it himself he struggled in his 1st season in the two page interview he had with John Gibson last week which was in the Chron. Came across as decent bloke really likes living here.

He is. He does - very much.

Any foreign defender would have struggled in a new country with what was going on around the club at the time.

The fact he never hid during that season though says a lot about the man.

Best since Moncur in my opinion, Woodgate was a class act (Partisan apart) but it means very little because he hasn't looked after himself and has hardly played for 5 years. Colo is a far better pro.

Although Jose is also class, we mustn't underestimate the effect having a Spanish speaking defender as good as Colo playing alongside him will have.

Potential legend - and if that volley had gone in on Saturday he'd be a step closer already.

Guest neesy111

The fella admits it himself he struggled in his 1st season in the two page interview he had with John Gibson last week which was in the Chron. Came across as decent bloke really likes living here.

He didn't rate Coloccini in his first season? What a clueless cunt.

:lol:

Being turboshit and a waste of money

vs

being a decent player but struggling in a dire team and playing without a break, through injuries, for the first 5months of a new season in a new league.

One of those views is a knee-jerk reaction, one of those is "struggling" :thup:

:no:

No matter what you can defend about coloccini, is that any criticism of him 1st season was justified imo.  He was absolutely dreadful especially at the end of the season where his errors cost us some vital goals, also how come playing in a struggling side didn't exactly hinder Bassong's progress didn't it.  I thought the reason you paid £10M for an international defender as well was so that you didn't need a 1 season bedding in period.

It's up to anyone's view what they will think of him in that 1st season, but I'll maintain some his errors that season did cost us valuable results and he was criticised like most of the team was for various reasons.  It would have been knee-jerk to call him that after a few games, but after a whole season then it can't be knee-jerk imo.

Plenty of players far more expensive than Coloccini have taken a season or more to acclimatize. The mistake we made, was putting him behind a shocking midfield and expecting him to just come in and deal with it from day one. We may have gotten away with it if he was alongside a defender like Abdoulaye Faye, but he was alongside a couple of 22-year-old kids - one of them basically a poor defender.

To say 'any' criticim is justified is beyond ridiculous, man. Those of us with an ounce of sense factored in the rest of team and his inexperience of PL football. Not everyone had seen him in La Liga, so it's natural that some had a few doubts, but some also went way overboard. LLLO in particular had it in for him from the first month.

vs

being a decent player but struggling in a dire team and playing without a break, through injuries, for the first 5months of a new season in a new league.

No matter what you can defend about coloccini, is that any criticism of him 1st season was justified imo.  He was absolutely dreadful especially at the end of the season where his errors cost us some vital goals, also how come playing in a struggling side didn't exactly hinder Bassong's progress didn't it.  I thought the reason you paid £10M for an international defender as well was so that you didn't need a 1 season bedding in period.

It's up to anyone's view what they will think of him in that 1st season, but I'll maintain some his errors that season did cost us valuable results and he was criticised like most of the team was for various reasons.  It would have been knee-jerk to call him that after a few games, but after a whole season then it can't be knee-jerk imo.

It's as if you're trying to use bundles of words to hide the guff you're trying to pass off as opinion :p Seriously, Coloccini showed signs of being half-decent with a touch of class straight from the opening game, funnily enough as the winter months came on and he played every game (think his first 'rest' came in January?) in a progressively poorer team, with confidence falling away and the chaos of the off-the-field activities.

Aye, all criticism is fully justified :thup:

Plenty of players far more expensive than Coloccini have taken a season or more to acclimatize. The mistake we made, was putting him behind a shocking midfield and expecting him to just come in and deal with it from day one. We may have gotten away with it if he was alongside a defender like Abdoulaye Faye, but he was alongside a couple of 22-year-old kids - one of them basically a poor defender.

To say 'any' criticim is justified is beyond ridiculous, man. Those of us with an ounce of sense factored in the rest of team and his inexperience of PL football. Not everyone had seen him in La Liga, so it's natural that some had a few doubts, but some also went way overboard. LLLO in particular had it in for him from the first month.

There comes a point when 'he's just settling in' becomes an excuse.

I'm not saying that the extremes of LLLO were justified, but to say no criticism is justified is a tad unfair on those pointing the finger. He had some very poor games, to which he admits himself.

I'm not saying that the extremes of LLLO were justified, but to say no criticism is justified is a tad unfair on those pointing the finger. He had some very poor games, to which he admits himself.

Yeah, he certainly did (the 1-5 Liverpool thumping springs to mind) but a good player suffering a loss of form or playing in a poor side is completely different to him being a "fucking waste of space".

Conversely, I don't agree that "settling in" was necessarily the biggest factor for his poorer displays, seeing as how some of his best performances came in the first few games.

Yeah, he certainly did (the 1-5 Liverpool thumping springs to mind) but a good player suffering a loss of form or playing in a poor side is completely different to him being a "f***ing waste of space".

Conversely, I don't agree that "settling in" was necessarily the biggest factor for his poorer displays, seeing as how some of his best performances came in the first few games.

But most, myself included, didn't even know he was a 'good player'. I don't watch that much La Liga football and didn't know who he was before he signed.

I saw "£10m" and "reported 60k per week" and thought "hmm, we need our money back for this". He then produced a number of very poor performances throughout the season and I couldn't see a 'good player' in there at all, regardless of the team he was playing in. That makes him a waste of space in my books.

Guest neesy111

vs

It's as if you're trying to use bundles of words to hide the guff you're trying to pass off as opinion :p Seriously, Coloccini showed signs of being half-decent with a touch of class straight from the opening game, funnily enough as the winter months came on and he played every game (think his first 'rest' came in January?) in a progressively poorer team, with confidence falling away and the chaos of the off-the-field activities.

Aye, all criticism is fully justified :thup:

As I've always said, those players who used the off field events as the main reason for their poor performances were just bottling it and I still maintain it was the players and not the off field events that got us relegated ultimately.

Not in his first season, man. He's allowed that, surely?

Guest neesy111

If your challenging at the top and can afford that luxury then you can give time to allow players to settle in.  We were in a position to not being able to afford any player to settle in that season sadly.

i open to correction but iirc colo seemed to suffer mostly when being bossed physically and perhaps wanting to much time to do things, i.e. not grasping the pace side of matters in his first season

to be fair to his critics back then that stank of marcelino, boumsong et al while of course not being identical

it's credit to colo that he's turned it right around tbh, getting fucking battered by cloggers must have been hard to take for a footballing CH from another continent from the off

Guest neesy111

i open to correction but iirc colo seemed to suffer mostly when being bossed physically and perhaps wanting to much time to do things, i.e. not grasping the pace side of matters in his first season

to be fair to his critics back then that stank of marcelino, boumsong et al while of course not being identical

it's credit to colo that he's turned it right around tbh, getting fucking battered by cloggers must have been hard to take for a footballing CH from another continent from the off

Correct, obviously playing in a settled back four has helped massively as well.

To blame the rest of the defence is a bit much.  They all suffered from having a bad midfield in front of them and all made individual errors, including Coloccini.

Coloccini started the season well and got worse as it went on.  Probably down to a number of factors including a rubbish midfield and teammates lacking confidence (which rubbed off on others, including Colo in the end) and not playing in a settled team with the same manager (which Taylor, Bassong etc. all suffered from as well).

I remember saying ages ago that Evra and Vidic took a season to settle in and so Colo should get at least the same, I've also had a go at him which may have been justified maybe not, probably more of a heat of the moment thing.

He's now proved his worth though and there's no reason why he can't get better considering he's entering his prime now.

If your challenging at the top and can afford that luxury then you can give time to allow players to settle in.  We were in a position to not being able to afford any player to settle in that season sadly.

That was our own doing. It wasn't a reflection of Coloccini's quality.

I remember sitting waiting for a flight on Aug 28th, typing on here that we'd struggle with CM options of Barton, Guthrie and Butt, and that we needed to get someone in. Predictably, the situation wasn't addressed.

That was our own doing. It wasn't a reflection of Coloccini's quality.

I remember sitting waiting for a flight on Aug 28th, typing on here that we'd struggle with CM options of Barton, Guthrie and Butt, and that we needed to get someone in. Predictably, the situation wasn't addressed.

Our CM problems weren't addressed for years, it's only Tiote that has solved them for now.

If you look at the first few pages of this thread, and then the more recent posts, I think it's a testament to how much he has improved and what an established and comfortable Premier League defender he has become.

His threat from set pieces has increased ten-fold too. The header against Wigan and the shot against Blackburn is something I expect to see from talented centre forwards.