Paolo Maldini's Last Game At The San Siro

Tooj

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/5379042/Paolo-Maldinis-San-Siro-exit-turns-sour-after-Roma-defeat-AC-Milan.html

Paolo Maldini's final appearance in front of the San Siro crowd turned sour not just because his side were beaten 3-2 by AS Roma but also because of a protest by a section of fans.

What was supposed to be a celebration of his remarkable 24 year career with Milan turned ugly when Maldini went on his lap of honour after the match.

While the majority of the crowd applauded him enthusiastically, at the south end some fans unfurled a giant Milan shirt emblazoned with the number 6 of former captain Franco Baresi.

Fans started chanting 'there's only one Franco Baresi' while one banner hit out at Maldini, saying 'you hear the applause of those who you accused of being mercenaries and beggers'.

That was a reference to a comment Maldini made after Milan's loss to Liverpool in the Champions League final in Istanbul in 2005.

Yet another banner claimed Baresi was the only Milan captain.

The treatment dealt out to 40-year-old Maldini enraged Roma coach Luciano Spalletti.

"Those who come to the ground to offend and attack don't love this sport and they should stay at home," he said.

"If you offend someone like Maldini then you've gone beyond all levels of acceptable behaviour."

Maldini looked visibly upset by his treatment and was consoled by former player Leonardo when he finished his lap.

Absolutely crazy that a man who has given most of his life to that club can be treated in such a away. Anyways I just wanted to post this as the man has been an absolute legend within the game of football, the word legend is used far too often for my liking. But when you think of Paolo Maldini nothing else can really be used to describe him.

Why have they done that?  ???

Iirc he called a few of their fans peasants for the way they behaved in the 2005 Champions League Final. Selling their tickets to Liverpool fans and such. I think he's also made a few comments about the fans in general and had a couple of run ins with them.

Because their cunts.

Absloute legend imo, one of the greatest players of all time, won 5 champions leagues and pretty much everything else, 20 years with one club and he will always be an example of loyalty and being a top pro.

Guest Heneage

Iirc he called a few of their fans peasants for the way they behaved in the 2005 Champions League Final. Selling their tickets to Liverpool fans and such. I think he's also made a few comments about the fans in general and had a couple of run ins with them.

Correct.

Mattis and I talked about this in the other games thread. Ultras are mad, they are section of fans that believe the club is theirs, and theirs alone. Lazio Ultra's would even make monkey chants to Christian Manfredini despite liking him.

They referred to the peasant comments in their banners, and also said there is only captain with banners showing number 6, the number of Franco Baresi.

Italians man, scumbags and cowards

:lol: Not that we're generalising of course.

Just stating facts :pow:

Could you give a bit more detail on these run-ins you mentioned? Were they akin to that time Joey Barton made remarks about our negativity which, as they were fairly valid, were taken on board by people? It's just that, as people were saying, when you're Maldini at Milan, I'm inclined to think you should be able to have a frank discussion with supporters because you've been together so long.