RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest AliLochhead

:-[

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6740830.ece

August 5, 2009

Mike Ashley told to accept Barry Moat bid for Newcastle

Exclusive

Seymour Pierce, the investment bank charged with handing the sale of Newcastle United, will recommend to Mike Ashley, the club's owner, that he accepts a bid from a consortium led by Barry Moat, a prominent Tyneside businessman.

Keith Harris, Seymour Pierce's executive chairman, has been involved in painstaking negotiations with a group fronted by Moat, who is a longstanding box-holder at St James' Park. Moat, who may have backing from the United States, is now regarded as Harris's preferred bidder and at some time over the next 48 hours, Ashley will be asked to accept a formal offer for Newcastle.

As The Times reported yesterday, Ashley has issued an ultimatum of Friday for bids to be made. Since putting the club on the market at the end of last season, when Newcastle were relegated from the Barclays Premier League, he has been demanding a price of £100m.

If Moat's bid is accepted, it will represent a positive development for Alan Shearer, who remains eager to be appointed Newcastle's manager and is close to Moat, who the chairman of the former England striker's testimonial committee. If Ashley decides to reject the offer, the sportswear retailer intends to retain possession of the club for at least another season and is prepared to pump in a further £40m of his own money to cover wages and other costs.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/05/ashley-to-be-advised-to-accept-barry-moat-bid-for-nufc-72703-24329156/

Ashley to be advised to accept Barry Moat bid for NUFC

Aug 5 2009 By Luke Edwards

MIKE Ashley will be advised to accept a bid from a consortium fronted by local businessman Barry Moat by the bank in charge of the sale of Newcastle United.

Moat's offer, which is understood to  include significant financial backing from American parties, is due to be named as the preferred bid by merchant bank Seymour Pierce in the next 48 hours.

It is not known whether the bid matches Ashley's £100m asking price, which may still prove to be a stumbling block to any takeover given the sports retailer's determination to hold out for that sum.

If the bid is turned down, Ashley is expected to take the club off the market, with Joe Kinnear angling after a return as manager following claims on Wednesday afternoon that he has already been offered a two-year contract.

Nevertheless, sources close to the deal last night indicated this was a significant breakthrough in the sale process and may signal the beginning of the end of a saga which has plunged the club into crisis following relegation to the Championship back in May.

Moat will look to appoint Alan Shearer as manager as soon as a deal is completed and, given the turmoil at St James's Park and the severe damage that has been done as the sale has dragged on into a fourth month, Ashley will be under enormous public pressure to accept the offer and bring an end to a dreadful chapter in the club's history.

Shearer has almost certainly been aware of Moat's interest for several weeks as the businessman was chairman of his testimonial committee and is a prominent box holder at St James's Park.

Shearer, who is on holiday in Portugal, was unavailable for comment although sources close to the former United skipper insisted he was "relaxed" about the situation.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2573639/Barry-Moat-set-to-takeover-Newcastle-United.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Football

When the Moat comes in for Toon

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

A NEWCASTLE tycoon is poised to save the Toon - and bring back Alan Shearer as boss.

The Sun can reveal businessman Barry Moat is the new frontrunner in a £100million buy-out from Mike Ashley.

And his first task will be to install Geordie legend Shearer as permanent manager.

Moat was chairman of Big Al's testimonial committee three years ago and the pair remain close.

He also has a plush executive box at St James' Park.

A City source last night confirmed: "Barry is Newcastle's best hope of salvation.

"Talks are well advanced, although nothing is signed yet.

"He's a Newcastle fan through and through. He loves the club and has been devastated by what's happened.

"He'll do everything he can to make this deal happen."

Newcastle fans are desperate for a local man to ride to their rescue after the nightmare of owner Ashley's disastrous reign.

Shearer went public in June and declared the club needed a northerner to repair the carnage left behind by Ashley's 'Cockney Mafia' of Dennis Wise, Derek Llambias and Tony Jimenez.

Moat invested substantial sums into the club's academy, saying: "As a lifelong Newcastle fan, I am delighted to support the club's new initiatives of investing in the academy and enabling more young fans in the region to see their heroes play.

"It's vital for a club like Newcastle to make sure it recruits the best young footballers at an early age and encourages them to develop their full potential."

Moat, founder and director of workplace retail giant Premier Direct, renewed his executive box at the club for five seasons in 2008.

Shearer is in a no-man's land, with Ashley reluctant to re-appoint him as Newcastle boss until a new owner is found.

Despite his failure to save the club from relegation to the Championship, Shearer is far and away the fans' favourite.

Sicko, Good evening, nice to see you are in fine fettle as always  :clap:

Only kiddin Thomo i'm starting to come round to you a bit now  :hom:

I hope to god this goes through. Get onto you ITK and see what else he has to say. Todays a good day so a bit more bullshit wont hurt  :razz:

Yeh get him on the blower or give him a text or as you said you lived on the same estate just go throw pepples at his window to get his attention ( or just knock at the door ).

I'll give you 5 minutes to report back (i'm timing you).....

My mam used to say that to me and it worked a treat like.

All I have heard on the radio all day was there was no truth about Moat being interested,what changed?

You must have been listening to Talksport. Shame on you.

Nah whatever was on the radio at work

:razz:

But no, Sky Sports (and all the people they feed, like Talksport and others) have been playing it down all day. Every other media outlet including the BBC have been leading with it.

All I have heard on the radio all day was there was no truth about Moat being interested,what changed?

You must have been listening to Talksport. Shame on you.

Nah whatever  was on the radio at work

:razz:

But no, Sky Sports (and all the people they feed, like Talksport and others) have been playing it down all day. Every other media outlet including the BBC have been leading with it.

Good sounds alot more promising now  :thup:

Guest Vincent V

I have been to London today (Work related) it looks like the takeover is happening soon then.

I havent spoke to my contact today, but he told me last night that Lambias and Ashley were at a meeting at Seymours today.

This lad is a king of bullshit.  He is probably a meth addict living in some shithole in Walker.  

I have been to London today (Work related) it looks like the takeover is happening soon then.

I havent spoke to my contact today, but he told me last night that Lambias and Ashley were at a meeting at Seymours today.

This lad is a king of bullshit.  He is probably a meth addict living in some shithole in Walker.  

RESPECT Vincent the guy told us no lies us far as I am concerned he has been class. If he twist some words to feel he is important so be it...

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Was just talking to my brother who's the architect in London with a client who's good mates with the Moats this was his message

" Was just talking to alex our client, barry is neils brother, said hes put in an offer of somewhere between 80-90m.. lets see what happens. hes said barry is good mates with shearer"..

If you look back a few pages I mentioned him last week.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Someone at SI reckons Beye is on £50k from what he heard from his ITK contact (Football Agent).

Someone at SI reckons Beye is on £50k from what he heard from his ITK contact (Football Agent).

He was signed under the Ashley regime, I can't see Ashley paying someone 50k per week who cost 2.7m.  It's all bollocks man, our wage bill probably isn't anywhere near what the papers say. 

Where do they get these figures from? 65m?  Do they have access to NUFC payroll systems?

Guest Thomo

Nothing to do with the Middle East, I think it is the Americans, not information I have been told just papers etc.

Vincent, actually mate I dont meths mate just Class A drugs, sorry to disappoint (JOKE of course)

What is wrong with Walker anyway, Vincent, some of your fella posters could be from there mate.

He was signed under the Ashley regime, I can't see Ashley paying someone 50k per week who cost 2.7m.  It's all bollocks man, our wage bill probably isn't anywhere near what the papers say. 

Where do they get these figures from? 65m?  Do they have access to NUFC payroll systems?

Yet again Geremi was a free transfer and he's on like £60-65k a week.

Nothing to do with the Middle East, I think it is the Americans, not information I have been told just papers etc.

Vincent, actually mate I dont meths mate just Class A drugs, sorry to disappoint (JOKE of course)

What is wrong with Walker anyway, Vincent, some of your fella posters could be from there mate.

So your ITK was wrong?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Actually, think I'm going to pull them up on the wages, as I've had two separate emails both with different figures in them!

Our wage bill was 73m pounds last season as far as I remember, that's straight from the club accounts.  With the players that have gone it should be in the low 50's now though.  I wouldn't be suprised at all if Beye was on 50,000 a week, or at least close (45k maybe?).  Compared to so many others at the club that may have been seen as a reasonable wage by Ashley (Owen 115,000, Viduka 80,000, Martins 70,000, Barton 65,000 ect).

So your ITK was wrong?

Correct me if I'm wrong but his ITK wasn't talking about Moat, he was talking about the rival bid.

So your ITK was wrong?

Correct me if I'm wrong but his ITK wasn't talking about Moat, he was talking about the rival bid.

Sorry my mistake, just assumed this was the only bid.