ESPN UK wins Premier League TV rights - Free on Virgin Media's Top package.

Interpolic

What did people expect? They were going to give it to you for free?

Yeah, lets all celebrate Setanta going under and handing our money over to some yanks instead.

I thought they might learn from the reason nobody subscribed to Setanta, aye. It costs too much; still more than twice what it did before the ruling.

Bit early to be moaning considering there's only two replies anyway. :lol:

Ha ha, the greedy cunts, I suppose espn are not jackies like setanta and willl offer more professional coverage .

Glad i cancelled sky sports and glad i never paid for shitanta.

They will have an HD channel. Thus, alot better.

And, they won't have golf. Win-win.

Thats the same attitude that left Great Britain without a manufacturing sector.

Aye well, the manufacturing sector should've had an HD channel then, shouldn't they.

They will have an HD channel. Thus, alot better.

And, they won't have golf. Win-win.

Thats the same attitude that left Great Britain without a manufacturing sector.

Aye well, the manufacturing sector should've had an HD channel then, shouldn't they.

:lol:

What did people expect? They were going to give it to you for free?

My expectation would be that they learned from Setanta's failed attempt to break into the market. Ie that people weren't prepared to pay £10+ to them for that amount of games, and for them to price their service accordingly.

They could have come in at £5 or £7 instead of £12. Would have been much more appealing and perhaps the extra customers they'd attract would mean overall revenues would be higher.

I only paid for the subscription to watch newcastle games, as we won't be featured on the new channel who gives a fuck? The beeb's free and we'll get to watch just as many games this season so I'm set.

I only paid for the subscription to watch newcastle games, as we won't be featured on the new channel who gives a f***? The beeb's free and we'll get to watch just as many games this season so I'm set.

Really? My TV license says not. Costs about the same as ESPN if truth be told, just it's not optional.

• 3 weeks later...

Virgin Media has secured a carriage agreement for ESPN's standard definition and high definition channels.

On August 3, ESPN America will be replaced in the UK by a new subscription-based ESPN service available in standard and high definition. It will carry the Premier League matches acquired after Setanta's collapse along with sports currently shown on ESPN America. ESPN has also recently acquired additional football rights from the SPL, MLS and top divisions in Europe.

ESPN and ESPN HD will be offered free of charge to customers taking Virgin Media's top XL tier of television service. The channels will also be available to customers on the M and L tiers for £8 per month if they subscribe to Sky Sports or £10 standalone. All Virgin Media television customers will receive the channels free in August.

ESPN HD will only be available to those customers who take Virgin's high definition V+ PVR.

Virgin Media chief commercial officer Mark Schweitzer said: "This agreement solidifies Virgin Media's place as the home of TV entertainment and is unquestionably the best value TV deal for sports fanatics. We've got all the sports content you'd expect and adding the new ESPN channels to our line-up will mean our customers can watch all the football action they want.

"We're always looking for ways to go the extra mile for our customers and we think this market beating offer does this in spades as well as providing a sweetener for the start of the football season. We are extremely proud to have partnered with ESPN, which is the world's leading multimedia sports entertainment company."

Virgin's price point undercuts ESPN's price on Sky, where it is offered at £9 per month for Sky Sports subscribers and £12 standalone.

Lynne Frank, ESPN's managing director for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, said: "We are delighted to add Virgin Media as a new distribution partner and to offer millions more sports fans ESPN's compelling mix of Barclays Premier League and Clydesdale Bank Premier League football, as well as the best of international football and top quality sports.

"The plan to make the channels available to Virgin Media's XL customers will help ESPN better serve sports fans in the UK. It's an exciting season ahead and we look forward to bringing our new channels, ESPN and ESPN HD as well as ESPN Classic, to as many sports fans as possible."

ESPN's opening EPL game will be Everton v Arsenal on August 15, with coverage starting from 5:30pm.

Virgin Media has secured a carriage agreement for ESPN's standard definition and high definition channels.

On August 3, ESPN America will be replaced in the UK by a new subscription-based ESPN service available in standard and high definition. It will carry the Premier League matches acquired after Setanta's collapse along with sports currently shown on ESPN America. ESPN has also recently acquired additional football rights from the SPL, MLS and top divisions in Europe.

ESPN and ESPN HD will be offered free of charge to customers taking Virgin Media's top XL tier of television service. The channels will also be available to customers on the M and L tiers for £8 per month if they subscribe to Sky Sports or £10 standalone. All Virgin Media television customers will receive the channels free in August.

ESPN HD will only be available to those customers who take Virgin's high definition V+ PVR.

Virgin Media chief commercial officer Mark Schweitzer said: "This agreement solidifies Virgin Media's place as the home of TV entertainment and is unquestionably the best value TV deal for sports fanatics. We've got all the sports content you'd expect and adding the new ESPN channels to our line-up will mean our customers can watch all the football action they want.

"We're always looking for ways to go the extra mile for our customers and we think this market beating offer does this in spades as well as providing a sweetener for the start of the football season. We are extremely proud to have partnered with ESPN, which is the world's leading multimedia sports entertainment company."

Virgin's price point undercuts ESPN's price on Sky, where it is offered at £9 per month for Sky Sports subscribers and £12 standalone.

Lynne Frank, ESPN's managing director for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, said: "We are delighted to add Virgin Media as a new distribution partner and to offer millions more sports fans ESPN's compelling mix of Barclays Premier League and Clydesdale Bank Premier League football, as well as the best of international football and top quality sports.

"The plan to make the channels available to Virgin Media's XL customers will help ESPN better serve sports fans in the UK. It's an exciting season ahead and we look forward to bringing our new channels, ESPN and ESPN HD as well as ESPN Classic, to as many sports fans as possible."

ESPN's opening EPL game will be Everton v Arsenal on August 15, with coverage starting from 5:30pm.

So glad we don't have to put up with anymore of that shi...

Oh.

Guest Phil K

Good for you lot. :(

Not that I give a toss about the Premier League this year.

Me too.

Sadly, I have a feeling we'll wish we didn't give a toss about the Chumpionsh*te this year either

Don't have a problem with 5:30 kick offs. Gives more time for drinking and a good day entirely based around the match. Even better for away days (apart from day trips)

Guest neesy111

in our house we're thinking of getting virgin HD in as we have the broadband etc, so this could be good for us