The England Thread

Pilko

Gerrard and Lampard have improved a lot though, haven't they? They seem to be fitting in to Capello's system and really performing now.

I always thought Lampard got far too much grief for his England performances. Gerrard on the other hand possibly got off too lightly, some of his performances pre-Capello were woeful. Especially his cowardly and gutless performance as captain away in Moscow. He should never wear the captain's armband for England again (if the opportunity arose) after that night.

:thup:

Cole is the best in the world at LB, Ferdinand and Terry are the best international combination in the world on paper. Johnson is the weak link but he can be protected

A weak link, but our best RB nonetheless.

Rio has been living on his rep for the past year.

Last year, he was out injured for a long time and has made quite a few errors since returning. I also believe that he's lost some pace/strength because of the back injury so that's something that people will have to watch out for.

Gerrard and Lampard have improved a lot though, haven't they? They seem to be fitting in to Capello's system and really performing now.

I always thought Lampard got far too much grief for his England performances. Gerrard on the other hand possibly got off too lightly, some of his performances pre-Capello were woeful. Especially his cowardly and gutless performance as captain away in Moscow. He should never wear the captain's armband for England again (if the opportunity arose) after that night.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spain fans wished they had someone as bustling and direct as Gerrard... I agree he hasn't always been great for England but to say he should never be captain again is a bit much IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spain fans wished they had someone as bustling and direct as Gerrard... I agree he hasn't always been great for England but to say he should never be captain again is a bit much IMO.

With the midfield Spain have they probably don't as they don't need him. I don't think he should be captain after that night in Moscow, he was disgraceful.

The curse of Spain's midfield, and the reason I don't rate our coach, is that he seems to be trying to shoehorn them all in the same lineup, and that just won't work against decent opposition. Alonso, Iniesta, Cesc and Xavi can't play together.

The way we worked in the European Championship, with Cesc as an impact sub, was perfect.

Only two places up for grabs in the England team for me are RW and keeper. Personally I'd have Lennon and Green at this moment in time. The rest picks itself, and has been what Capello has been picking for every game that counts.

Only two places up for grabs in the England team for me are RW and keeper. Personally I'd have Lennon and Green at this moment in time. The rest picks itself, and has been what Capello has been picking for every game that counts.

Yeah, I reckon Lennon >> SWP at the moment, and I think Green deserves to keep his place for the moment.

Guest Heneage

Yeah, I reckon Lennon >> SWP at the moment, and I think Green deserves to keep his place for the moment.

For England SWP recently has looked really poor, ironically enough how Lennnon used to look, a fast player who hadn't grasped how to use his pace.

Walcott's the interesting one, Capello won't have forgotten that hat-trick and playing at Arsenal he'll be suited to the crisp passing of international football. He'll be in the squad for sure, and can provide cover up front, but for the time being Lennon's in too good form to be left out imo. Green gets it by default for me.

Walcott's the interesting one, Capello won't have forgotten that hat-trick and playing at Arsenal he'll be suited to the crisp passing of international football. He'll be in the squad for sure, and can provide cover up front, but for the time being Lennon's in too good form to be left out imo. Green gets it by default for me.

Walcott will probably be in the next squad, as he's just come back from injury. SSN has just said Walcott got a "surprise" call-up to the U21's today, so maybe Capello wants Stuart Pearce to keep an eye on his fitness etc, and then add him to the squad if anyone drops out.

It's the Roma-style.

Actually, good idea. We'll abandon the brilliant system that's worked perfectly throughout qualification, getting the best out of our previously underperforming big players and implement a new one now. Genius.

Green

Johnson

Rio

JT

Cole

Lennon

Lamps

Barry

Beckham

Gerrard

Rooney

Strikerless...Rooney drops too deep to play lone striker role.

completely agree, depends on who we play but Defoe or Heskey have to be there