The England Thread

Pilko

For the record Ronaldo, I'm disagreeing with Rupert rather than you here.

He's been shit for England and is just after one last easy pay day imo, but to question his general credentials is madness.  It's just the circumstances we're in, let's never get another big name foreign manager in his 60s ever again, cos they're clearly going to see the £5m+ a year and think "fuck it, why not?" when there's no need to actually prove themselves anymore.  As you say Ronaldo, the unwillingness to learn proper English is embarrassing.  For him and for us.

Capello's managerial record, what a dunce this man is:

As a coach

Milan

Serie A (4): 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96

Supercoppa Italiana (3): 1992, 1993, 1994

UEFA Champions League (1): 1993–94

European Super Cup (1): 1994

Coppa Italia Primavera (1): 1984–85

Roma

Serie A (1): 2000–01

Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2001

Juventus

Serie A (2): 2004–05, 2005–06 (both revoked)

Real Madrid

La Liga (2): 1996–97, 2006–07

[edit]Individual

Serie A Coach of the Year: 2005

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: 2009

I just so happen to think he's made a pig's ear of the England job and is mainly here for the money but to question his ability is incredible.

I don't disagree with you about the club bit, but seriously, Ruud Gullit would struggle to get a team containing Hart, Cole, Terry, Rooney, Young, etc etc etc to play so abjectly badly at a World Cup.

And he can't speak English!  Pretty fucking important when you're managing ENGLAND!

Capello :smug:

England being s*** at tournaments is nothing to do with him.

You might want to familiarise yourself with 2002, 2004 and 2006 before coming out with that recycled garbage.

I honestly think Eriksson did a really good job, it just unravelled at the end when the press were hounding his every move.

Just like the press are doing with Capello?

Capello :smug:

England being s*** at tournaments is nothing to do with him.

You might want to familiarise yourself with 2002, 2004 and 2006 before coming out with that recycled garbage.

Have no idea what you're implying here? 

As a coach

Milan

Roma

Juventus

Real Madrid

[edit]Individual

I just so happen to think he's made a pig's ear of the England job and is mainly here for the money but to question his ability is incredible.

I don't disagree with you about the club bit, but seriously, Ruud Gullit would struggle to get a team containing Hart, Cole, Terry, Rooney, Young, etc etc etc to play so abjectly badly at a World Cup.

And he can't speak English!  Pretty fucking important when you're managing ENGLAND!

I think lots of managers could have overseen such a disastrous campaign.  Different teams but Taylor couldn't get us to the tournament, nor could McClaren, Keegan couldn't get us past the group stage after a sticky qualifier versus Scotland.

Our players will look for any excuse and the media will make matters worse.  Every single time.  With their pressure and their scandal stories and their arrogance.  Things will need to fundamentally change if England were to ever win a tournament, I don't even think an inspirational manager would make much difference, although it would clearly help.  And then you've got the valid concerns about the way football is taught to kids in this country.  The whole thing's a mess.

As a coach

Milan

Roma

Juventus

Real Madrid

[edit]Individual

I think lots of managers could have overseen such a disastrous campaign.  Different teams but Taylor couldn't get us to the tournament, nor could McClaren, Keegan couldn't get us past the group stage after a sticky qualifier versus Scotland.

Our players will look for any excuse and the media will make matters worse.  Every single time.  With their pressure and their scandal stories and their arrogance.  Things will need to fundamentally change if England were to ever win a tournament, I don't even think an inspirational manager would make much difference, although it would clearly help.  And then you've got the valid concerns about the way football is taught to kids in this country.  The whole thing's a mess.

Hence why I don't support England.  The whole system is absolutely rotten to the core.  But hey, I'm a moron for saying so according to certain posters, so I'll just let the players do the talking on the pitch when we get embarrassed next summer.  Again.  Whilst I continue to not care about my national team.

God, I hate the international break...

You care enough to get involved with this thread?

I think I care because I used to really like England pre 2000 when it was Shearer, Psycho, Gazza, you know, likeable chaps.  I would love to see England doing well again, but until Capello is gone and the old guard are shifted out, I just can't give me emotional backing to a team containing such unlikeable cunts such as Rooney, Terry, Cole et al.  Seems wrong.

Everyone agrees that England are a joke Rupert and many of us have lost a lot of interest.  My job's a joke but I still turn up.

Anyway, hypothetical question time.  If Alex Ferguson decided to pack it in at Man Utd and wanted to fuck around being England manager for 2 years, would he make a success of it?  Say for Euro 2014.  Would he succeed?  What is success?  All current circumstances stay the same, although he could of course affect certain things.

You care enough to get involved with this thread?

I think I care because I used to really like England pre 2000 when it was Shearer, Psycho, Gazza, you know, likeable chaps.  I would love to see England doing well again, but until Capello is gone and the old guard are shifted out, I just can't give me emotional backing to a team containing such unlikeable c***s such as Rooney, Terry, Cole et al.  Seems wrong.

Think that has more to do with the changing actions of the media in how they portray the players and chase down sleaze stories than anything.  Of course it's all fun and games when Gazza was being a grade A cunt off the pitch...

And talking about this old guard... Are you aware that from a 23/24 man squad only 7 played at the last world cup.  If that isn't Capello moving on and evolving the team, well, I have no idea what is?

Wait, that's exactly what my ambition was?  It's not like we could have won the Euros in the qualifying tournament?  Heh.

What's your ambition btw?  Realistically we'll be very lucky to make a semi.  You might have a point if we had a better pool of players, but we don't.

Guest BooBoo

The worst WC I've ever seen England play - by far, mind you - is 2010.

Still say that he should have been sacked immediately after the Germany game. The whole tournament was an absolute disaster.

I actually think we  have reasonable prospects in long term, some good players coming through, nowhere near enough really but with a little luck we'll be stronger in future.

At the moment we're tactically naive, have little mental strength, and players who are decent enough in league can't keep the ball.

Well done on successful qualifying campaign, but no where near close to exorcising the problems the world cup demonstrated.