The England Thread

Pilko

The worst WC I've ever seen England play - by far, mind you - is 2010.

Still say that he should have been sacked immediately after the Germany game. The whole tournament was an absolute disaster.

Correct answer, the new contract before the tournament was a f***ing joke.

Indeed.

Will all be 'trific when Harry takes over.  Grit etc will conquer once again...

It won't but at least:

a) he might appear to give a toss now and then

b) won't on a ludicrous wage making him unsackable regardless

c) can speak English

d) is English

a) Capello clearly looks like giving a toss when on the side lines

b) Making plans to sack Harry already?  :lol:

c) Fairly certain Capello knows enough English to get by.  Yes, the press is a massive issue, but that is more down to our national press being a bunch of cunts

d) There's no rule here.  Tbqh, I think there should definitely be some sort of rule aimed towards this.  Maybe including managers who have worked in your league system for a number of years.  Don't think it sits right just being able to bring someone in like Capello, but he is here now, is a world class manager and it is in the best interest of the nation that everyone backs him right now.

Ronaldo is at it again :spit:

ofc there is plenty of scope for debate.  you're being stubborn and blinkered.

excellent exaggeration on the 'can't speak English' line btw.  well done.

I can't understand a fucking word he says apart from "yes" and "no". fuck knows how the players do.

Will all be 'trific when Harry takes over.  Grit etc will conquer once again...

It won't but at least:

a) he might appear to give a toss now and then

b) won't on a ludicrous wage making him unsackable regardless

c) can speak English

d) is English

a) Capello clearly looks like giving a toss when on the side lines could've fooled me, been seen at more AC Milan/Juve/Udinese/delete as appropriate games than games in the NE

b) Making plans to sack Harry already?  :lol: no, but Cappello isn't value for money, is he worth 3x more than nearest international manager? Not a chance, limited tactics and an unmotivated playing staff, the only way his stats look decent is due to very favourable draws in qualifying

c) Fairly certain Capello knows enough English to get by.  Yes, the press is a massive issue, but that is more down to our national press being a bunch of cunts really, he said he needed 100 words. For £6m a year he should be able to quote Shakespeare word for word.

d) There's no rule here.  Tbqh, I think there should definitely be some sort of rule aimed towards this.  Maybe including managers who have worked in your league system for a number of years.  Don't think it sits right just being able to bring someone in like Capello, but he is here now, is a world class manager and it is in the best interest of the nation that everyone backs him right now.

D) Exactly what I was getting at. For me international football should be your country take all.

I've just got this feeling that the next time England will do well in a tournament will be the next time we go into the tournament with a shitter squad that normal, meaning there's less hype around the team and less pressure on the players.

Think Capello will be the last ever foreign manager we'll ever appoint.

I disagree. I'm completely apathetic to the nationality of the next manager, provided they can speak English. I agree with Sven who's been saying for quite some time it doesn't matter about nationality. However, I do think we don't need a tactician or a strategist, as much as we need a figurehead, an inspirational icon - a Klinsmann, a Maradona (you know what I mean), a Beckham? That kind of thing.

Disagree tbh mate.  I think the cycle will continue, not least because of the lack of decent English managers.

FWIW I think Redknapp might do an alright job with England, it's just a hunch.  There's a psychological block there with some of them and he's a proven track record of making players feel good about themselves.  Well, apart from players that he ends up not rating like David Bentley, but that wouldn't be an issue with England.

Edit: BTW Sam Allardyce now has a column in the Evening Standard and was spinning the usual shite about how he should be England manager this evening.

Unfortunately our country has s*** managers in relation to the world stage.  There's no getting around that other than to do what the FA did in appointing Sven and then Capello.

100% certain that the next manger has to and will be English just to silence the masses of idiots (inc talksport etc), but I just wish that people would grow some balls and get behind Capello - who has done a sterling job since the WC - and help the team move into the summer tournament.

I've just got this feeling that the next time England will do well in a tournament will be the next time we go into the tournament with a shitter squad that normal, meaning there's less hype around the team and less pressure on the players.

I've had similar thoughts but there simply will never be less hype imo.  No matter what the squad is there will still be much of the media saying we could/should win it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Less egos. Less club 'connections'. Actually build a team, rather than assembling the 'Premier League Elite'.

It'll be a while before England win an International Competition, though I'm sure Grassroots Coaches will be blamed for whatever failing lies ahead... again.

Macedonia 2 England 2: Reckless Rooney sees red but Capello's men reach Euro 2012

Montenegro, not Macedonia!!! :D :D :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2046656/Macedonia-2-England-2-Reckless-Rooney-sees-red-Capellos-men-reach-Euro-2012.html

It's the Daily Mail, you're just lucky they didn't go with their first choice headline - Weird Foreign Types 2 England 2: Reckless Northerner sees red but Shifty Itialian's men reach Euro 2012

Fairly certain that Spain have assembled a bunch of huge egos with their merging of the 2 biggest clubs in the world.  They've done OK?

There is a whole different culture in those players though.  It's a culture of winning that we lack.

Guest BooBoo

Sick to death of the Spain bumming. Tedious. I may e wrong but it's highly unlikely for a nation to win three back to back international tournaments.

Germany to beat Holland in next years final.

Seed 1 - Spain, Holland, Ukraine, Poland

Seed 2 - Germany, Portugal, Italy, England

Seed 3 - Croatia, Greece, France, Russia

Seed 4 - Denmark, Sweden, Serbia, Turkey

Guestimation at the seeding for the group stage draw (Could change massively ofc).  Is done according to ranking.

There's going to be some monster groups.  Our likelihood of getting near a semi is going to be massively swayed by the draw.

He was asked about Rooney's temperament tonight and responsed with an incoherent ramble about 'first 35 minutes'.

You're insane if you think this man is fit to convey intricate footballing instructions to 11 different men who probably all think they know better anyhow. Painfully obvious that England won't prosper while he's the head coach.

I disagree. I'm completely apathetic to the nationality of the next manager, provided they can speak English. I agree with Sven who's been saying for quite some time it doesn't matter about nationality. However, I do think we don't need a tactician or a strategist, as much as we need a figurehead, an inspirational icon - a Klinsmann, a Maradona (you know what I mean), a Beckham? That kind of thing.

Disagree tbh mate.  I think the cycle will continue, not least because of the lack of decent English managers.

FWIW I think Redknapp might do an alright job with England, it's just a hunch.  There's a psychological block there with some of them and he's a proven track record of making players feel good about themselves.  Well, apart from players that he ends up not rating like David Bentley, but that wouldn't be an issue with England.

Edit: BTW Sam Allardyce now has a column in the Evening Standard and was spinning the usual s**** about how he should be England manager this evening.

I get what you lads are saying and I guess Capello's failings can be mainly attributed with his lack of fluent English. If we, as fans, have no idea what he's saying in his press conferences/post-match interviews, then what chance do the players have? His record as a club manager is fantastic, no doubt about that like. Guess he just wasn't right for the international stage.