The England Thread

Pilko

I've just got this feeling that the next time England will do well in a tournament will be the next time we go into the tournament with a shitter squad that normal, meaning there's less hype around the team and less pressure on the players.

Less egos. Less club 'connections'. Actually build a team, rather than assembling the 'Premier League Elite'.

It'll be a while before England win an International Competition, though I'm sure Grassroots Coaches will be blamed for whatever failing lies ahead... again.

Grassroots is indeed blamed but my perception isn't that the coaches are getting the flak, but more the wider approach.  I've never read anything blaming the coaches themselves but by the same token I've never read any criticism of Trevor Brooking who is supposed to be the guy leading grassroots football in this country, isn't he?

The thing is that even if we're doing things at grassroots level now, even simple things like forcing kids to play 5 a side until they're 12 or whatever, the proof of the pudding doesn't come for 20 years or so.  And I don't know whether they're even trying to change grassroots football to reflect other, more successful countries.  Do you?  Does anyone?

2 things on that point Ronaldo.

1) As I said earlier, many managers would side step that question.  Capello has done something in his response that a lot of smart mangers would do.  Given the media some unusable spiel that doesn't relate to Rooney.  He can then go away and with lowered emotions deal with it.  That is something Mancini really should have done with his Dzeko/Tevez problem.

2) What would you consider England prospering to mean?

Seed 1 - Spain, Holland, Ukraine, Poland

Seed 2 - Germany, Portugal, Italy, England

Seed 3 - Croatia, Greece, France, Russia

Seed 4 - Denmark, Sweden, Serbia, Turkey

Guestimation at the seeding for the group stage draw (Could change massively ofc).  Is done according to ranking.

There's going to be some monster groups.  Our likelihood of getting near a semi is going to be massively swayed by the draw.

This shit needs to be dropped ASAP.

Guest BooBoo

Considering in his time as boss, the North East has has Carroll, Bent, Henderson and even Steven Taylor, to not visit either SJP or SOL is just pig ignorant. The blokes a buffoon.

I've always believed that Capello is an incredibly conservative manager.  During very minor qualifiers and friendlies he's perfectly willing to play younger players but when the important games and tournament finals come along he's always going to pick the older, safer players even though they've been tried and have all utterly failed in previous competitions.  We do have some decent players at u21 level but under Capello they'll never get anywhere near the team as long as there's a 30-something plodder to pick in his place.

He was asked about Rooney's temperament tonight and responsed with an incoherent ramble about 'first 35 minutes'.

You're insane if you think this man is fit to convey intricate footballing instructions to 11 different men who probably all think they know better anyhow. Painfully obvious that England won't prosper while he's the head coach.

It's because he'd be mad to slag off a superstar who's doing Capello the favour of playing for his daft little team in his spare time when he could be shagging grannies and smoking tabs.  Players don't like playing for England anymore, it's all wrong.

Guestimation at the seeding for the group stage draw (Could change massively ofc).  Is done according to ranking.

There's going to be some monster groups.  Our likelihood of getting near a semi is going to be massively swayed by the draw.

This shit needs to be dropped ASAP.

Absolutely, it's fucking ridiculous.

He was asked about Rooney's temperament tonight and responsed with an incoherent ramble about 'first 35 minutes'.

You're insane if you think this man is fit to convey intricate footballing instructions to 11 different men who probably all think they know better anyhow. Painfully obvious that England won't prosper while he's the head coach.

It's because he'd be mad to slag off a superstar who's doing Capello the favour of playing for his daft little team in his spare time when he could be shagging grannies and smoking tabs.  Players don't like playing for England anymore, it's all wrong.

A lot of things that are wrong with the NT were shown up at the final whistle. England qualified tonight, you'd never have known. Montenegro didn't but even qualifying for the playoffs was obviously a source of immense pride to them, do most of the English players have this pride, I doubt it.

This s*** needs to be dropped ASAP.

Why are Poland in seed 1 there? :lol:

Guest BooBoo

The amount of five a side/astro footy in this country annoys me. Played a 11 a side game on weds, and it's frightening how few people are left who know how to play proper through balls/make runs/hold a defensive line. Blame 5 a side!

To be fair though, you wont be playing with the creme de la creme of this nations footballing talent.. More like a motley bunch of overweight apes who are either gasping for a tab or vomiting on the sideline

Hosts.

Hosts along with Ukraine.

The amount of five a side/astro footy in this country annoys me. Played a 11 a side game on weds, and it's frightening how few people are left who know how to play proper through balls/make runs/hold a defensive line. Blame 5 a side!

To be fair though, you wont be playing with the creme de la creme of this nations footballing talent.. More like a motley bunch of overweight apes who are either gasping for a tab or vomiting on the sideline

Were you eatching me play? :lol:

Hosts.

If those are the qualifiers having arguably the 2 weakest teams as seeds is buffoonery. Hosts or not. Even more so given the decreasing importance of ticket sales as opposed to TV deals etc and the general ability for other European fans to travel and fill grounds unlike say the World Cup where the hosting of it in far flung places dimineshes this.

A lot of things that are wrong with the NT were shown up at the final whistle. England qualified tonight, you'd never have known. Montenegro didn't but even qualifying for the playoffs was obviously a source of immense pride to them, do most of the English players have this pride, I doubt it.

Honestly, it might sound like I'm over-playing the media aspect but I think they were genuinely just relieved they weren't going to be vilified and stalked for the next few months.  "That's that one out of the way, we'll not get ripped to shreds until next summer".  The whole thing's completely unhealthy.

I do wonder whether other countries have experienced such a drop in interest/ability to identify with their national team in recent years.  Obviously Spain don't count.

Honestly, it might sound like I'm over-playing the media aspect but I think they were genuinely just relieved they weren't going to be vilified and stalked for the next few months.  "That's that one out of the way, we'll not get ripped to shreds until next summer".  The whole thing's completely unhealthy.

I do wonder whether other countries have experienced such a drop in interest/ability to identify with their national team in recent years.  Obviously Spain don't count.

Only country would maybe be France that I can think of. Although the lack of crowd at the Argentina game I'm watching at the mo would suggest they think the same although it's raining.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Considering in his time as boss, the North East has has Carroll, Bent, Henderson and even Steven Taylor, to not visit either SJP or SOL is just pig ignorant. The blokes a buffoon.

He's a fucking genius tbh.

How many times has he earned £4m per annum from the F.A for fuck all? He's going through the motions, plain to see!

The media definitely play a part like. All England managers have had to face intense media pressure which is a massive detriment.

The media definitely play a part like. All England managers have had to face intense media pressure which is a massive detriment.

It's a mild problem IMO that is played up as an easy excuse. Are the media in Italy, Spain, France, Brazil any less forgiving? No chance, not at all. It's the same with the players get paid too much argument, English players get paid no more than other top nations really. A combination of lack of decent coaching at the top (since god knows when - maybe Hoddle and even then he had his faults) and a lack of wanting it from the players.

It's a mild problem IMO that is played up as an easy excuse. Are the media in Italy, Spain, France, Brazil any less forgiving? No chance, not at all. It's the same with the players get paid too much argument, English players get paid no more than other top nations really. A combination of lack of decent coaching at the top (since god knows when - maybe Hoddle and even then he had his faults) and a lack of wanting it from the players.

It's still quite a problem for England managers to deal with. Sir Bobby found the media to be a massive nuisance during his tenure as England manager. But I agree that it's only part of the overall problem.

The media across Europe are pretty much the same too I guess. The French media, like you pointed out above, are intense too when it comes to international football. They were essentially crucifying Domenach after France's shambles at the World Cup last year too.

He's a fucking genius tbh.

How many times has he earned £4m per annum from the F.A for fuck all? He's going through the motions, plain to see!

This is one of the reasons why, as much as it pains me, I have to agree with Ronaldo in the case of Capello.  He should really have been dumped as soon as his term as manager had been deemed as finite as it had already come to an end.  We should have learned our lesson when Eriksson had been the victim of entrapment by the English press and would leave 'after the next tournament' as his commitment to the role was already over and going into that tournament named a squad that would have been termed as industrial sabotage in any other walk of life when he named a forward line consisting of two broken players, a trainee and Peter Crouch.

It's still quite a problem for England managers to deal with. Sir Bobby found the media to be a massive nuisance during his tenure as England manager. But I agree that it's only part of the overall problem.

The media across Europe are pretty much the same too I guess. The French media, like you pointed out above, are intense too when it comes to international football. They were essentially crucifying Domenach after France's shambles at the World Cup last year too.

Exactly, the media don't help but they're low down on the list of problems in English football at the moment, just an easy one to blame as most people (rightfully) think they're a pack of tosspots.