The England Thread

Pilko

40 years since you beat us. I don't expect that to be the case after tonight. Zlatan won't work in 4-2-3-1. Källström will prove a tough test for whoever your CMs are. Back four is sort of unsettled with no left-back performing well for a while and Mikael Lustig at RB being vastly overrated. Elmander will be our main threat.

Less than half the tickets sold for Wembley tonight apparently.

Daft. £30+ for a ticket.

They should be having friendlies over England rather than just Wembley.  Although I've heard that they have to be held at Wembley as part of their business plan.

Definitely, the re-development cost a fortune on the basis of the revenue it would generate.

Agree with you about the tour of the grounds though, they should have just done up Wembley on the cheap for cup finals or not bothered.  Doesn't help that the atmosphere's so sterile either, been to a couple of England games there and it's not good.

In the England-Sweden game tonight, player to watch - Rasmus Elm. Hes been having a fantastic season for Alkmaar and will probably move to one of the big clubs in the summer or so. Great player. Would love to have him playing for the Toon.

Hope we see Sturridge tonight.

You'd assume so.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7309950/Welbeck-out-of-Sweden-game

Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck has been ruled out of England's friendly with Sweden through injury.

Welbeck has returned to Old Trafford for treatment on the muscle injury as England boss Fabio Capello did not want to take any chances on the player's fitness.

United will be hoping the injury to Welbeck is not serious as they prepare for this weekend's trip to Swansea.

The 20-year-old, who impressed off the bench against Spain last weekend, was expected to start the Sweden game in attack alongside Bobby Zamora.

Welbeck's withdrawal could open the door for Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge to make his debut for Capello's side.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Wembley's lost it's soul. I know the old ground was a shithole from all accounts but it was so iconic and the thought of going there sent shivers down your spine. The new one looks as dull as the emirates.

It's beyond crap, like.

In the England-Sweden game tonight, player to watch - Rasmus Elm. Hes been having a fantastic season for Alkmaar and will probably move to one of the big clubs in the summer or so. Great player. Would love to have him playing for the Toon.

Has a lot to prove before he moves to the Premiership. Fantastic passer and a real footballing brain, but physically he has work to do. Tidy player though, would be brilliant in Spain.

Don't watch it in HD though, unless you want to go blind. Horrible, horrible face :lol:

Wembley's lost it's soul. I know the old ground was a shithole from all accounts but it was so iconic and the thought of going there sent shivers down your spine. The new one looks as dull as the emirates.

New grounds will always need some time to get a decent athmosphare. Imagine if a stadium like Old Trafford, Anfield, even small ones like Craven Cottage and of coures, St James Park got replaced by new ones. Would always be strange for the first few years. The fact that there are only the cup finals and England games played at Wembley doesn't really help imo.

A football stadium needs some memorable moments to become great. It's not the building itself.

The old Wembley never seemed to have a great atmosphere when I watched games being played there on the TV, like.

Different story during the 4 occasions I was actually there, for obvious reasons. In fact, I can barely remember a goal being celebrated like Rob Lee's header, but the distance from the pitch probably killed a sustained buzz during the international games.

The old Wembley never seemed to have a great atmosphere when I watched games being played there on the TV, like.

Different story during the 4 occasions I was actually there, for obvious reasons. In fact, I can barely remember a goal being celebrated like Rob Lee's header, but the distance from the pitch probably killed a sustained buzz during the international games.

Cockneys.

Cockneys.

Rob Lee is from West Ham, yes.