The England Thread

Pilko

'Arry giving another interview about the England job

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tottenham-Harry-Redknapp-Exclusive-You-don-t-turn-down-the-England-job-article870391.html

One quote of note

“You also have to put things into perspective. England haven’t won a trophy since they lifted the World Cup in 1966, so optimism and expectations are frequently unrealistic and often misplaced.”

Yes Harry, such as this...

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/811960-redknapp-we-must-back-capello

Redknapp said: "It's up to Mr Capello to make a decision. It's his call and whatever he does we have to back him because we all want the country to win the World Cup."

He added: "I believe we can win it this time - we have a fantastic group of players and a great manager. It's all in place and it's the best chance we'll ever have to win the World Cup.

:yao:

Aye, saw Shearer's winner against the French in a hotel just outside Lyon. Went mad, and it didn't go down too well.

:lol:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z2bziRTdZaI/TTAaGDCo6xI/AAAAAAAACGs/fy4Ixy2QFE8/s1600/1997_italy_brazil_frndly_mal_canna.jpg

Him and Romário were absolutely class in the Italy game.

Aye, saw Shearer's winner against the French in a hotel just outside Lyon. Went mad, and it didn't go down too well.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z2bziRTdZaI/TTAaGDCo6xI/AAAAAAAACGs/fy4Ixy2QFE8/s1600/1997_italy_brazil_frndly_mal_canna.jpg

Was that 3-3 game that sealed the tournament for us?

Was that 3-3 game that sealed the tournament for us?

Aye it was.

Didn't Brazil actually beat us as well? Remember Shearer getting the trophy in our red strip.

Parker voted England's Player of 2011

Scott Parker has been voted the Vauxhall England Player of the Year for 2011 by fans on TheFA.com.

The online poll ran over the Christmas period and the Tottenham midfielder collected 17 per cent of the 15,000 votes cast. Joe Hart was second and Ashley Young was third.

Thirty-two players represented England in their nine games in 2011 and Parker played in seven of them, including a star turn against World Champions Spain in November, a performance which no doubt went some way to earning him the award.

Parker’s name is now etched on the Player of the Year trophy, alongside those of Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargreaves and David Beckham.

“It’s a great honour,” said Parker. “Just looking at the names that are on the trophy it’s quite an achievement. It’s a proud moment for me.

“When you feel the fans are appreciating what you’ve done, it’s extra special. It’s been a good year for me at international level so I’m delighted the fans have picked me.”

Parker won each of his first three caps playing for three different clubs - Charlton, Chelsea and Newcastle - and his fourth cap came against Denmark last year, when the 31-year-old was performing heroics in West Ham’s midfield.

“I don’t think I ever lost hope that I could make it at international level,” he reflected. “I probably crammed in a lot in one year, because it’s only been this year that I have got in the side and probably established myself in the squad. I never lost hope, I realised time was ticking and I’m pleased the year’s gone the way it has.

“The Denmark game was pivotal for me,” he continued. “I came on for 45 minutes and then I got a start[ing place] against Wales in a big game [and that] was massive for me. I played in [midfield] with Jack [Wilshere] and Frank [Lampard] and we got a great result. It ended up being a great game [for me].”

As Parker alluded to above, 2011 was the year he cemented his place in the England squad and he has become one of his country’s key men. He has brought his impressive club form into the international arena, helping England qualify for Euro 2012 and he has earned a host of plaudits in the process.

Arguably, Parker’s best England performance of 2011 came against Spain at Wembley, a game which he cites as one of his own personal highlights of the last 12 months.

“It was a great experience,” said Parker. “It was a very tough game which we all knew it would be.  They are a very, very good team who put us under a lot of pressure, but ultimately we got a goal and we got the win.

“It was very pleasing, and for me personally; I played quite well and it was quite humbling to leave Wembley to a standing ovation. That was a bit surreal.

“That was probably one of the stand out [games of 2011] and the Wales game [as well]. It was my first start in the qualifying campaign, it was a massive game for me personally and a big game as a team and we got a great result.”

http://www.thefa.com/England/News/2012/Scott-Parker-Player-of-the-Year-2011.aspx

Fair enough methinks. He does do the job he's asked of in CM and more often than not, he does perform decent enough.

Love how Pearce is getting stick already for his selection. He's picking the same players! y u no pick all the world class players we don't have?  :dave:

Chamberlain is this weeks new England savior after about 4 games  :lol:

Was Shearer's winner when he pretty much wiped out Barthez as well after Barthez cocked up for the goal?

Went to that game.

Barthez was on French tv the next day with a splint on his hand :lol: